5 yrs of regret/uncertainty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yahyaprotein

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers

I posted this same post yesterday in the predent section however I would like to know your opinions too since you are in dental school or already practicing and might have more insight.

I graduated from a state university in California in 2011 and at the time I just wanted to leave school all together after earning my degree in biology. I wanted to get into my families franchise business which I still currently am in thinking business was the path for me. However a few months down the road after being fully engrossed in the business I realized that this isn't what I want to do for the next 20-30 yrs. I then realized I really loved what I studied and wanted continue to a higher education and continue the path that I initially started when I went to college which was dentistry.

My first three yrs I did well earning a 3.6 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa however over the next two yrs I started to lose interest in school and family pressures along with business drove my gpa to a 2.9 and 2.8 respectively. I took my dat in 2010 and got a 18 aa and 18ts with about 3 weeks worth studying.

Now about 5 yrs later I want to go back to school to satisfy this itch that I have and to prove to myself that I could do it. I think I should add that I am married now with a son so that has to figure into how I get back on track. Also this isn't about the money because as of now in my late 20's I'm blessed earning over 180k yearly from my portion of the business. I would like to hear your advice and intake of my situation. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up, if you don't like some business, dentistry probably isn't the path you wanna take. Look into medicine

You're in a good financial spot right now, do not take educational debt lightly. You might even take a pay cut as a dentist. You are not the slave of $350,000-$500,000 educational debt at 7% interest and that has a lot of value. If none of that matters one of your best chances would be a SMP (Short Masters Program) to show you can still do sciences courses and to retake the DAT before you do the SMP if your practice tests scores are looking good. Apply to dental school with your current GPA and new DAT in June and if you do well on the DAT you might have a shot, if no interviews and acceptances you can to apply to an SMP later in the cycle when things look grim and still get into an SMP. You should realize this would be a sacrifice for the whole family and I saw one guy who left a high paying job in my class get a divorce during dental school due to financial strain so make sure the whole family is on board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 4th year dental student, and my advice is to put your energy into your current career and forget about dentistry. It's a stressful career as a student and as a dentist. If you have a hankering for a more hands-on career, try learning piano and playing with ceramics in your free time to fill that void.

Then again, only you can answer this question for yourself. If you have questions, message me

I'm a 4th year dental student, and my advice is to put your energy into your current career and forget about dentistry. It's a stressful career as a student and as a dentist. If you have a hankering for a more hands-on career, try learning piano and playing with ceramics in your free time to fill that void.

Then again, only you can answer this question for yourself. If you have questions, message me

You do realize I hope that it is faaaar more difficult and competitive to have a successful career as a pianist than it is as a dentist.

Reactions: 2 users
You do realize I hope that it is faaaar more difficult and competitive to have a successful career as a pianist than it is as a dentist.

Yes, which is why I said stick to his current career!

The ROI doesn't make much sense here.

However if you can foot the bill for your tuition, you will be in a better spot than most. Sure you take a pay cut, but I know all about working in a family business. They suck the life out of you and you will feel trapped.

Wait this is a year old lol.

you make 180k per year and want to switch to dentistry? why?? dental school is hell and dentistry is a tough job! procedures are tough and its mentaly and physically draining. You also have a son and wife that you need to support. so think long and hard before you jump into this! If I were you, I would forget about it