50 shades of GPA evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnthonyLee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've come up with a rather unique question... It has a connection with this post, but I will expand it a tad.
How do admissions committees evaluate international GPA, which was not evaluated by WES or any firm like that?
For example, my case. My university (U of Louisiana Lafayette) received the grades from my university, which were NOT evaluated (my university, however, uses a letter-grade system), and counted my gpa as 3.2. But if you directly count all the grades that I have, you will get something like 2.75 or 3.0.
So here's the question. How do universities evaluate foreign gpa's and foreign courses? And how much credit is given to it?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I've come up with a rather unique question... It has a connection with this post, but I will expand it a tad.
How do admissions committees evaluate international GPA, which was not evaluated by WES or any firm like that?
For example, my case. My university (U of Louisiana Lafayette) received the grades from my university, which were NOT evaluated (my university, however, uses a letter-grade system), and counted my gpa as 3.2. But if you directly count all the grades that I have, you will get something like 2.75 or 3.0.
So here's the question. How do universities evaluate foreign gpa's and foreign courses? And how much credit is given to it?

I suspect it varies by institution. Have you contacted your interested schools directly?