505, 3.75 cgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meridethgrey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So I'm trying to see if I can get any advice on how to shorten my list of schools. I am a senior and will be applying this upcoming cycle.

Some background info:
- cGPA: 3.75; sGPA: 3.67
-505 MCAT (127/127/127/124 )
- 1000+hrs research (will have one paper published prior to June and another in the summer/ I also have 4 presentations)
- ~250 hrs volunteering (some clinical/ some non-clinical)
- ~200 hrs shadowing
-I currently work and will be a scribe starting soon and during gap year
perhaps this doesn't matter but I am female, hispanic and a Florida resident.

Disclaimer: UNC and Johns Hopkins are obviously an ambitious stretch but I want to apply anyways, and I think I am going to apply to 20-25 schools. Also, I am not retaking the MCAT. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

MD
1. FIU -Florida
2. UM -Florida
3. UF -Florida
4. USF -Florida
5. FSU -Florida
6. UCF - Florida
7. FAU - Florida
8. Albany
9. Albert Einstein
10. SUNY upstate
11. Drexel
12. Emory
13. George Washington
14. Georgetown
15. Indiana
16. Johns Hopkins
17. Boston U
18. New York Medical College
19. Penn State
20. Rush- Chicago
21. Thomas Jefferson
22. Temple
23. Tulane
24. UNC Chapel Hill
25. Virginia Commonwealth
26. Wake Forrest
27. Uni of Maryland

DO:
NOVA
PCOM
VCOM

Members don't see this ad.

What Hispanic community do you represent? Not all Hispanics are UIM. Do you have long standing commitment to your community? Do you have the MSAR? Did you use it to develop your list? Your MCAT might be a bit low for some of those schools. You probably should look at 10%-90% MCAT scores. How are your clinical ECs?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

What Hispanic community do you represent? Not all Hispanics are UIM. Do you have long standing commitment to your community? Do you have the MSAR? Did you use it to develop your list? Your MCAT might be a bit low for some of those schools. You probably should look at 10%-90% MCAT scores. How are your clinical ECs?

I'm Cuban and yes I used MSAR and then used prospectivedoctor.com to help pin-point "target schools." It's just that the MSAR does not have updated info for the new MCAT so I'm kinda just guessing but I worry that I am overshooting. I have been told that that my MCAT is essentially a 29. And I have volunteering in a hospital and two doctors I have shadowed, one for about 4 months and the other for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cuban isn't usually considered UIM. And actually your score is closer to a 28.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Quinnipiac
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
EVMS
Oakland-B
Western MI
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
CUNY Med
Netter
ALL FL schools
Any DO school, starting with Nova and LECOM-B

Cuban isn't usually considered UIM. And actually your score is closer to a 28.

I suggest:

Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
Quinnipiac
WVU
Rosy Franklin
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Albany
NYMC
VCU
U VM
EVMS
Oakland-B
Western MI
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
CUNY Med
Netter
ALL FL schools
Any DO school, starting with Nova and LECOM-B

Thank you!!! I was actually picking between Rosalind Franklin vs Rush...I might change but as of now, I want to pursue surgery and do research as a physician as well. I choose to keep Rush due to being better overall. Do you know if there is much a difference between them?

Both fine schools; Rush gets more $ than Rosy F in research $. Lots more. My own school has more research grants than Rosy F!

Thank you!!! I was actually picking between Rosalind Franklin vs Rush...I might change but as of now, I want to pursue surgery and do research as a physician as well. I choose to keep Rush due to being better overall. Do you know if there is much a difference between them?