MD 508 3.48: What Next? Please Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athlete1188

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Illinois
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
St. Louis
Creighton
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Albany
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
Kaiser
California University

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really want Allopathic MD. Please read and advise. Should I retake the MCAT? I am planning on applying for Fall 2020 Start.

Stats/Info:
-IL resident (want to stay in-state). My Dad lives in WI (not sure if I would be considered in-state)
-B.S May 2018 cGPA 3.48
-NCAA Division 1 Scholarship Student-Athlete for 4 years in a big competitive conference
-Undergraduate research accolades
-Current Thesis M.S Student (Research Assistant, T.A, Publications, taking advanced courses in endocrinology, cancer biology, epigenetics,ect.)
-MCAT 508 (1st time) (132 in Bio/Biochem)
-MD shadowing both Primary Care and Surgeon many hours
-Free clinic volunteer many hours
-Many community service hours

Let me know if you need more info. Am I competitive for Illinois MD schools? What are your MD school suggestions?
can't recommend a retake until you go thorugh a cycle and get no love.

Invest in MSAR Online and target these schools, but first make sure your stats are > their 10th %iles.

U ILL
U Miami (maybe)
U Toledo
Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Tufts
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
MCW
SLU
WVU
Wayne State
Tulane
Loyola
Wake Forest
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
VCU
Netter
Seton Hall
EVMS
Oakland-B
Gtown
GWU
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 users
You should look at how you studied for your MCAT.

I find it hard to imagine that you can get a 132 in B/B and can't significantly pull everything else up.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not really your MCAT that is your problem. Your GPAs are well below the average of matriculated students(3.7). Do you have the MSAR? If so use it to look at OOS info for all of those OOS schools you just listed. OOS schools tend to favor their residents. If you don’t have the MSAR buy it.

Do you think that being a scholarship NCAA D1 athlete for 4 years will buffer my not so hot GPA? I am retaking gen chem2 this spring. I am currently taking physics this fall. In addition, I am taking advanced Biology courses, writing my masters thesis, and presenting at a Bio conference this spring.
Probably will help. Are you URM?

Do you think that being a scholarship NCAA D1 athlete for 4 years will buffer my not so hot GPA? I am retaking gen chem2 this spring. I am currently taking physics this fall. In addition, I am taking advanced Biology courses, writing my masters thesis, and presenting at a Bio conference this spring.

Why are you retaking Gen Chem2 ? Is it part of your Masters program? MD schools really do t consider Masters programs like DO schools do. Are the Gen Chem2 and physics undergrad courses? Are they required for your Masters or are you just taking them? Being a D1 athlete might help but there are lots of D1athletes applying with better stats. So don’t count in a big bump.

You really seem to want to retake the MCAT. So do what you want but remember: your score may go down, remain the same or go up a point or two; AMCAS rec that schools average multiple MCAT scores; even if they don’t average all of your scores will be visible and some ADCOMS might wonder why you retook if your score only goes up a point or two or remains the same. Do you have time with your grad studies to prepare well for the retake? Good luck in whatever you decide.