Compilation 509+ MCAT Study Habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supremus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Use the template below:

1) Your individual scores and composite score
2) The study method used for each section
3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
4) Which practice tests did you use? (Optional: include scores)
5) What was your undergraduate major?
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
7) How long did you study for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28 users
Solution
Use the template below:

1) Scores:
  • C/P: 128
  • CARS: 131
  • Bio: 132
  • Psych: 127
  • Total: 518
  • Overall: I read every page of the review books and took notes for chem and psych, as they were my weakest sections. For any section that I had never gone over in school, I read and took notes (such as the metabolism sections). I would go back and forth with the Kaplan online videos/lessons, their practice problems, and the book in order to really memorize the info
  • Chem/Phys: this was easily my weakest section to begin with, so I went back to the basics (for chem)
  • CARS: the Kaplan tips on how to work with the CARS section were invaluable. Their hour-long MCAT channel...
I know this was a year ago but I am curious, did you watch all of premed HQ videos or just his MCAT ones? Chem is easily my weakest section and I want to bring it up greatly.
I pretty much watched all his videos because they were relevant to the MCAT. Even if I knew the topic I still watched the video because his explanations were gold and helped me organize my understanding.

Reactions: 1 user
I pretty much watched all his videos because they were relevant to the MCAT. Even if I knew the topic I still watched the video because his explanations were gold and helped me organize my understanding.

I just began watching his videos today and they seem to really solidify the couple topics I have watched thus far (aside from him rambling about the inhibitors). C/P is such a bad section for me, if I could pull it up I could take the MCAT today and get my goal score smh.

Hey everyone, saw this thread and wanted to contribute in hopes that someone else might find this helpful!

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
5/24/19 - 516 (131/125/130/130)

Overall, for all content sections, I had a specific process I figured out halfway through my time studying that worked well for me. Given more time, I think I would have been able to score a bit higher using this method, at least for me. The process was as follows: First I suspended the whole ortho deck at the start of studying for a section. Then, I would read an individual Kaplan book chapter, and then unsuspend the topics that I'd just covered in the Kaplan book from the ortho deck and do my Anki for the day. The NEXT day, Id do the associated UWorld with those sections, then repeat the process. Over time, you'll be adding more and more ortho and compounding onto that deck as you unsuspend more topics. I mostly used this for B/B and P/S, using the ortho deck for the Anki part of this process for the B/B and ortho/cubene for the P/S.

C/P - For C/P I did all of UWorld by section within a topic, not random, so that I could see where my weaknesses were. Id then go into my books to find and clarify certain answers using UWorld along hte way. I did section bank very early, with 1.5 months left, then did it again a week before the exam.

CARS - I cant help you here lol. Didn't study for it.

B/B - So initially I had problems getting questions right on UWorld, so I resolved to go through the entire Kaplan bio book taking notes in question format. I would then go down these lists of questions to make sure I knew. My percentages went from 50-60 to around 85-90 from this method on UWorld. Again, I redid section bank a week before the exam. I never made my own Anki cards, I used ortho528s deck in the aforementioned strategy.

P/S - I think this is pretty well known, but I watched the KA vids at 2x speed while reading the 300 page doc and then did the Anki associated with that section. UWorld next day. Section bank was also done twice at the same time as those previous sections.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, ExamKrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
Kaplan, AAMC, UWorld, NS for all.

NSDiag - 498 (125/123/123/127) - Taken while running an experiment in the lab, untimed.
NS1 - 507 (128/125/127/127)
NS2 - 511 (128/126/130/127)
NS3 - 510 (127/126/128/129)
NS4 - 511 (129/125/129/128)

AAMC FL1 - 519 (131/127/131/130)
AAMC FL2 - 520 (132/128/130/130)
AAMC FL3 - 521 (131/128/131/131)
Sample - Taken as a question bank the day before the exam, got around 93-100% on the content sections.

Biomedical Engineering.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Study CARS early, no matter the NS score. I fell into the trap of "It'll work itself out, its just NS and its garbage CARS" but it clearly was quite indicative. Even in FL1-3 I thought I was a bit shaky and got somewhat lucky with 128s but I didn't study for it at all just because I thought in the 3 week timeframe I had it was low yield.

3.5 months while being a full time student and working in the lab.

Can you please give your assessment of the quality of UWorld's question bank by section? Were any particularly good or bad?

How did UWorld compare to NS's section?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you please give your assessment of the quality of UWorld's question bank by section? Were any particularly good or bad?

How did UWorld compare to NS's section?

I thought pretty much every single section of UWorld was great for learning the content necessary. I wouldnt look towards it to compare and gauge your ability to do AAMC but as a teaching tool they cant be beat. I thought maybe a few portions of the physics may have been a bit out there but again its a teaching tool for what could be on the exam and was still good overall.

As for the comparison to NS, hard to say since the primary difficulty at least for me on NS came from deciphering the hieroglyphics they were speaking in during passages. Different levels of difficulty. I would say UWorld is harder in terms of getting to the right answer, but NS is OVERALL harder just because they pull obscure wording and concepts that you wouldn't necessarily dream of on the real (Like those ridiculous calculations on their CP).

I am expecting my score back on Aug 20.

Does anyone know what time the scores come out?

Should I set an alarm for 1201AM?

I am expecting my score back on Aug 20.

Does anyone know what time the scores come out?

Should I set an alarm for 1201AM?
I've seen them usually come out at around 10 a.m. central time. Don't set an alarm lol. And they will NOT email you when the scores are released

Hey all, just got my score back and decided to post here in case it could be helpful.

Background: Chem major.

7/13/19 - 514 (127/128/128/131)

C/P - UWorld. I did the majority of questions here. Nothing is low yield, so just try to get comfortable with unit conversion, scientific notation. Also, knowing the base units. For ex, Newtons being kg * m / s^2 and converting that to joules, etc. That helped with timing, which I had to work on through practice exams. I read the Kaplan books for Chem, but for physics I opted for Khan Academy videos.

CARS - I didn't study for CARS.

B/B - Honestly, the FL's and SB helped me improve in this section. Learning how to interpret experimental data, identifying independent and dependent variables, and what conclusion you could draw from the data. Khan videos and AK Lectures, and also UWorld helped me get the material down.

P/S - 86 pg Khan Academy doc and Anki. I made my own cards while watching Khan vids and going through the 86 pg doc. I think the 300 pg isn't really necessary.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, ExamKrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
Kaplan, AAMC, UWorld, NS

NS1 - 503 (125/125/125/128)
NS2 - 504 (127/124/127/126)

AAMC FL1 - 513 (127/130/127/129)
AAMC FL2 - 512 (129/128/127/127)
AAMC FL3 - 504 (126/126/127/125) - this terrified the hell out of me as it was 2 days before my official MCAT. I think I was just burnt out.

Sample - 87%

Chemistry

Make sure you go through the SB twice and really review you FL's. It took me 2-3 times as long to review my AAMC FL's after I took them. Only focus on AAMC material the month out so you can understand HOW they ask their questions.

2 months.

517 (130, 125, 131, 131)

For the science sections, I went over all the books and made sure I was solid on the content before attempting any practice. I did that for about a 3 weeks, and then began doing practice questions. It became a mix of doing practice questions, reviewing mistakes, and then going over the relevant content again. Eventually, I began doing practice tests- for the last month, I was doing a practice test every roughly every 3 days. For CARS, I just tried to do as much practice as I could to become a better reader. Although I didn't do as well as I hoped on CARS, I was receiving 128-130s on the AAMC tests.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
Kaplan, EK

Kaplan, NS, AAMC

Neuroscience, Economics

The MCAT is a test that reflects the effort you put into it. If you have the time, try to do as much as you can to study for the MCAT. Since I took the MCAT in January of my junior year, I put off studying until the beginning of my winter break. If I could go back, I would try to fit studying into my fall semester wherever I could. Instead, I spent Christmas, New Years, and my 21st birthday studying in a library. While I don't regret studying that much at all, I do regret not starting sooner so I could have had somewhat of a winter break.

6 weeks for about 8 hours a day (including my 21st birthday!)

522 (130/129/132/131)

C/P:
I started doing practice with FLs and UWorld very early on (like on the first week of studying). I found out during practice that I had a pretty good understanding of C/P content, so I mostly only did content review for materials I missed in practice. I used EK books and supplemented with TBR for topics I wanted to go more in depth (kinematics, energy, optics). I periodically wrote out all the equations I knew from memory to keep them fresh. Did practice consistently.
CARS:
English is my second language so I didn't have much confidence going in. I just did a ton of practice and figured out what sorta worked for me: I highlighted the first sentence of each paragraph to remind myself of the big ideas. Did ~3 passages per day. Also did AAMC QPacks twice.
B/B:
This was the section that I lacked the most in content. I read all of EK's books plus Kaplan's biochem, took detailed notes, drew out biochem pathways periodically. I made it a point to prioritize high-yield topics (glucose metabolism, genetics, cell bio) over lower-yield topics (organ systems), but still managed to cover all the bases. (surprise! My actual exam had super low-yield organ system questions). Did practice alongside content review.
P/S:
I watched all Kahn Academy videos, took detailed notes, did all of UWorld and reviewed my mistakes carefully, and drilled Premed95 (on Reddit) Anki decks. I had the 86 page document from Reddit but didn't end up using it because taking my own notes helped me retain info much better.

C/P:
EK, TBR, UWorld
CARS:
TPR Handbook, EK 101 CARS, UWorld. I only finished about half of everything.
B/B:
EK, Kaplan (for biochem), UWorld but barely did any
P/S:
Kahn Academy and Anki, all of UWorld

+ Everything from the AAMC.

NS 1 - 3: 508, 508, 509
EK 1: 74%
AAMC Sample/FL 1/FL 2/FL3: 518/519/521/523

Neuroscience major, History minor. Had taken Gen chem 1-2, Orgo 1-2, physics 1-2, biochem, and a few psychology and humanities classes. Do research in behavioral neuroscience. I took biochem the semester before studying which I feel was HUGE.

- 3rd party FLs are not representative of your score. Just use them to simulate exam condition and gain stamina.
- Take Biochem right before studying, if you can
- Be flexible about your schedule and adjust your plans according to your weaknesses. I studied for about three months. My schedule looked something like:

FL on the weekend every other week

First month: worked 20 hours per week, studying was equal parts content review and practice, which complemented each other

Second month: started studying full-time, did one EK chapter of either C/P or B/B + a few videos of P/S + 3 CARS passages + 50 UWorld per day

Last month: practice practice practice, using ONLY AAMC material. Finished content review of low-yield materials.

15 weeks

Reactions: 3 users
1) Your individual scores and composite score 513 (128 C/P, 128 CARS, 128 B/BCHM, 129 P/S)
2) The study method used for each section. For P/S I made sure i knew the terms adn vocabulary cold and able to apply them to new situations. All of the hard sciences started with 4 months of content review and then just questions adn questions and questions. CARS was the hardest for me and it was just practicin as much as possible to get better. I tried to think about the tone first then the main idea based on that which ultimately gave me my balanced score.
Kaplan was the best. They give very hard content so my AAMC practice test and real scores were higher by 7 points. I averaged a 503 on the Kaplan practice. Was so scared, but to see my real score it was worth theh stress.
Kaplan scores: 498, 501, 505, 503, 504
AAMC practice: 509
Bio and chem double major
SELF CARE. After you take a practice test, be done for the day. review what you did wrong the next day, but take the time off after you spent 7 hours on your practice exam. I would watch a movie or spend time with friends.
1 year (4 months of spraight content and 8 months of content + practice tests)

Reactions: 1 users
526, 132/131/132/131

With the exception of CARS, my study method was largely identical for each section. I studied for 13 weeks total while working full time 60+ hours a week. I spent my first 3 weeks just reading through the Kaplan books. I didn't make any flashcards, or notes because the point was to get a broad overview of every topic that was fair game. Afterward, I started doing timed practice problems from good sources (AAMC question packs, AAMC section Banks, NextStep question banks, and Uworld were what I used). I did 30 questions at a time (~half of a section's worth of questions) and then reviewed every single question thoroughly. I made Anki cards based on anything I missed, or anytime I encountered a topic that I felt even a tiny bit fuzzy about and reviewed the ever-increasing Anki deck throughout my study schedule. To review the 30 questions in depth took 2-4 hours depending on how I did on those questions. For CARS, I did 1-2 timed passages every study day (I gave myself one day off each week) back-to-back and then reviewed. I also took 10 total timed full-length tests, one each week after my initial 3-week content review.

Would you mind explaining what you did when you went through each practice question thoroughly?

Would you mind explaining what you did when you went through each practice question thoroughly?
There is no one thing that I did, as it varied tremendously depending on the problem.

Essentially, make sure you know why the correct answer is correct, and why all of the incorrect answers are incorrect. If there was any topic involved in the question/passage you felt even a little bit shaky about, review it. Prioritize conceptual understanding over memorization and focus on methods of studying that work for you, not what works for other people.

Reactions: 2 users
526, 132/131/132/131

With the exception of CARS, my study method was largely identical for each section. I studied for 13 weeks total while working full time 60+ hours a week. I spent my first 3 weeks just reading through the Kaplan books. I didn't make any flashcards, or notes because the point was to get a broad overview of every topic that was fair game. Afterward, I started doing timed practice problems from good sources (AAMC question packs, AAMC section Banks, NextStep question banks, and Uworld were what I used). I did 30 questions at a time (~half of a section's worth of questions) and then reviewed every single question thoroughly. I made Anki cards based on anything I missed, or anytime I encountered a topic that I felt even a tiny bit fuzzy about and reviewed the ever-increasing Anki deck throughout my study schedule. To review the 30 questions in depth took 2-4 hours depending on how I did on those questions. For CARS, I did 1-2 timed passages every study day (I gave myself one day off each week) back-to-back and then reviewed. I also took 10 total timed full-length tests, one each week after my initial 3-week content review.

I used Kaplan books. As well as most of the official AAMC material.

In order: AAMC Sample (~high 80% low 90% in each section), NS 1-5 (~512-518), AAMC #1 (523), AAMC Sample (high 90s in all sections), AAMC #2 (528), AAMC #3 (525)

Computer Engineering w/ Electrical Engineering minor (CE is often known as Electrical Engineering/Computer Science), but I graduated a long time ago.

Stop doing content review and start doing high-quality practice problems. Trust the process and remember, everyone else is just as panicked as you are.

~350-400 hours over 13 weeks, I work full time and have a lot of extracurriculars on my plate so I had to be really efficient with my time. When I sat down to study, I really studied. I did 3-4 hours (one of the question blocks I mentioned above), my 1-2 CARS questions and reviewed my Anki cards every weekday before/after work depending on the day. Took Saturday off completely and then spent 12 hours on Sunday doing a full length and reviewing it.

Good luck everyone, hang in there! :)

Hey can I message you with some questions about applying with an engineering background?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, saw this thread and wanted to contribute.

520 (131/128/130/131)

C/P - For C/P, I did a bunch of Altius practice tests and drilled any weak section I had by going to KA for review and more practice problems.

CARS - I started with JW passage --> KA passages --> Altius --> AAMC materials. WIthout a doubt, AAMC materials are the best to practice CARS.

B/B - Same strategy as C/P. Honestly, Altius CARS and P/S sections are pretty bad, but their C/P and B/B are really solid for finding your weak sections.

P/S - Some people like to use KA 300 page notes, but I personally took my own notes on my Onenote. Also, my GF has B.S. in Psychology, so she helped me a lot with the rationales of certain theories.

Altius, AAMC, KA, JW

Altius1 - 506
Altius2 - 509
Altius3 - 512
Altius4 - 515

AAMC FL1 - 512
AAMC FL2 - 518
AAMC FL3 - 519
AAMC FL4 - 520

Neuroscience and Computer Science

For CARS, you just have to find your rhythm and make sure you get a consistent score across AAMC FL's. Also, the month of wait after you're done with the test will be grueling with anxiety of whether you bombed the test or not. There's really no telling how you did on the test, but IMO TRUST YOUR FL SCORES because my score was the average.

4 months (2 months = undergrad + 2 months = full-time researcher)

520 (131/128/130/131)

C/P - For C/P, I did a bunch of Altius practice tests and drilled any weak section I had by going to KA for review and more practice problems.

CARS - I started with JW passage --> KA passages --> Altius --> AAMC materials. WIthout a doubt, AAMC materials are the best to practice CARS.

B/B - Same strategy as C/P. Honestly, Altius CARS and P/S sections are pretty bad, but their C/P and B/B are really solid for finding your weak sections.

P/S - Some people like to use KA 300 page notes, but I personally took my own notes on my Onenote. Also, my GF has B.S. in Psychology, so she helped me a lot with the rationales of certain theories.

Altius, AAMC, KA, JW

Altius1 - 506
Altius2 - 509
Altius3 - 512
Altius4 - 515

AAMC FL1 - 512
AAMC FL2 - 518
AAMC FL3 - 519
AAMC FL4 - 520

For CARS, you just have to find your rhythm and make sure you get a consistent score across AAMC FL's. Also, the month of wait after you're done with the test will be grueling with anxiety of whether you bombed the test or not. There's really no telling how you did on the test, but IMO TRUST YOUR FL SCORES because my score was the average.

What was bad about Altius P/S and CARS? Do you recommend using them for those two sections? What practice materials are best for these 2 sections?

What was bad about Altius P/S and CARS? Do you recommend using them for those two sections? What practice materials are best for these 2 sections?
I felt like Altius P/S focused too much on obscure definitions that deflated your score from what you would actually get. Their data analysis problems were pretty good, but their discretes weren’t as reflective and would make me paranoid whether I need to memorize even more terms for P/S. CARS was just straightout different from AAMC materials, and their logic/explanation for answer was very abstract and required overthinking. IMO, most AAMC CARS problems didn’t really require overthinking, but Altius punished really hard if you deviated from their way of thinking.

The best resource for P/S is obviously the section bank and writing down any definition you didn’t know on Anki deck. Third party resource-wise, I actually liked doing KA problems and reviewing my notes. The best resource for CARS, I think, was obviously the question packs , and third party resource was JW passage in terms of practicing my timing. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of reviewing the explanation when doing AAMC CARS Qpack.

I felt like Altius P/S focused too much on obscure definitions that deflated your score from what you would actually get. Their data analysis problems were pretty good, but their discretes weren’t as reflective and would make me paranoid whether I need to memorize even more terms for P/S. CARS was just straightout different from AAMC materials, and their logic/explanation for answer was very abstract and required overthinking. IMO, most AAMC CARS problems didn’t really require overthinking, but Altius punished really hard if you deviated from their way of thinking.

The best resource for P/S is obviously the section bank and writing down any definition you didn’t know on Anki deck. Third party resource-wise, I actually liked doing KA problems and reviewing my notes. The best resource for CARS, I think, was obviously the question packs , and third party resource was JW passage in terms of practicing my timing. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of reviewing the explanation when doing AAMC CARS Qpack.
How about bio for Altius? Was it also a lot of obscure content knowledge?

How about bio for Altius? Was it also a lot of obscure content knowledge?
No, their C/P and B/B were very close to the AAMC FL’s but slightly easier than the actual test. B/B had two or three obscure definition problems, but you should expect to see those on the actual test. Altius P/S, however, had 7-8 obscure definition problems that you would never see on the actual exam.

520 (131/128/130/131)

Altius, AAMC, KA, JW

Altius1 - 506
Altius2 - 509
Altius3 - 512
Altius4 - 515

AAMC FL1 - 512
AAMC FL2 - 518
AAMC FL3 - 519
AAMC FL4 - 520

How'd you manage the 6 point jump from FL1 to FL2? Did you make any changes to your routine?

How'd you manage the 6 point jump from FL1 to FL2? Did you make any changes to your routine?
That is a mystery indeed. I just reviewed my mistakes and wrote them down on my Anki deck. I think it was just a fluke or test anxiety since it was my first official AAMC FL.

513 (128/127/127/131)
I barely did anything for CARS, started out with a 127 and was happy just maintaining it. Needed to get my other sections up. For all other sections, a mix of daily Anki, and UWorld. For C/P and B/B, I used UWorld to get those up, and the Kaplan P/S q-bank worked well for P/S.
4.5 week intensive Kaplan course to get me into the mindset and a routine...was semi-helpful. Got a lot of high yield knowledge out of it, and vastly improved my P/S score. In the last 3.5 weeks, I stuck to AAMC and UWorld.
Kaplan diagnostic plus 1-4...started from 496, ended at an unbalanced 504 with both science subsections at 124.
AAMC 505, 506, 508, 508. My real exam was in-line with my FL subsections, except for a massive boost on P/S. I think I got somewhat lucky, as there weren't many strange or unfamiliar terms on it.
Chemistry. I regret not doing Biochem instead, it's the defacto premed major at my school, and would have left more room for fun electives. I was only two classes away from getting a history minor!
Anki is a life-saver, make sure you do it every day. I made my own cards, which weren't the best but worked well enough. I have the foresight now to improve this method further for med school! Also, I wish I did UWorld sooner. Be sure to use mneumonics! Practice unit conversions for C/P, and practice experimental analysis for B/B (highlight everything in parentheses, and write out the pathways)
About 8 weeks. Took the last 3 days off except for Anki review. Going into prep, I had poor P/S knowledge, and lacked a good chunk of Bio and Biochem (no metabolism knowledge). I also knew almost nothing about optics, waves and fluids, so the odds were against me!

1) 129/125/126/130 = 510

2) C/P was mostly hammered into me during the AAMC material review, which I reserved for the last month before my exam. Particular areas I needed to review were equilibrium constants, reaction rates, ICE tables, molality and molar concentration, solubility, enzyme kinetic equation memorization, separation and purification, lab tests, acids and bases (pH, pOH), and generally easy things to master from Chem 1 and 2. For physics, it was sonics, fluids, and the nuclear decays. In general, any and all of the review material will expose weakspots that, if left unchecked, you will kick yourself for spacing on! That was my test for this section - if I would hate myself for forgetting it, I would study it.

CARS: Mainly AAMC, never uWORLD, and then just reading articles with that extra bit of "presence" in my day-to-day. Notably my most underprepared and worst section.

B/B: A lot of UWORLD, but also some of TPR review books. AK lectures is great. I used AAMC to pretty much confirm that I was a 70%-80% scorer, and as a non-trad, I would just have to study up to the test. Areas I recommend are kidneys, bones, sugars, fats, proteins, neurotransmitters and hormones... Just to name a few.

P/S: Some uWorld, some AAMC. Filling random content gaps with ANKI decks. The 300 page doc for days when I was particularly lazy. This section is like cars, so using simulation is important.

I relied heavily on uWORLD, ANKI, AAMC, Kaplan Flash cards, TPR books and practice exams. I also consulted my old texts, and the accompanying video simulations some of those texts used (Sumanas Inc is an amazing place to check out videos, as is AK lectures).

I used two TPR and all five tests from AAMC.
TPR: 495, 498
AAMC Sample: 499 (appr)
AAMC 1: 127/126/126/127 = 507
AAMC 2: 127/126/126/126 = 506
AAMC 3: 128/126/128/127 = 509
AAMC 4: 126/127/127/126 = 507

Psych

Trust yourself. I know trust the FLs gets thrown around, but being cool calm and collected on test day is a boon you won't regret. I got the highest score I ever earned on test day, and believe it could have been a lot higher. Move through the test. Don't get jammed up by lengthy passages like I did on CARS. If you are less confident in one section, ask why. Maybe you did not take any psych classes, or just have hated physics your entire academic life. Let the test reflect those issues, because you are you. But study hard and stay calm. Good luck.

I wrote 5/20, started ordering stuff around December. I would have hit the books a little harder 6 months out so I did not feel like I had to soldier ahead around four months out. The ticking time does frazzle me, so just timing out the studying on issues you don't like is key. I would recommend doing this at your own pace up to a year out of the exam. If you are still taking the courses relevant to the MCAT, buy the prep books and compare what your teacher is teaching to what TPR or Kaplan is saying you should know. All this takes about ten minutes a day, but you won't have the time when you are within three months (aka the absolute minimum time I would say you should think about the exam). I went from feeling six weeks was cool, to feeling this way, so I hope this helps overconfident people like me.

Diagnostic: 500

Real deal:
512-125/130/126/131

before I say this, I wanna preface by saying that I guided myself by following my mocks and knowing myself.

C/P: I faded this subject because I figured it would be the most work for the fewest amount of points. I viewed this as "studying elasticity" and i wanted to allocate my hours efficiently pertaining to how many points 1 hour of studying would earn me. I figured since C/P is the most various of subjects, i would fade it and I ended up scoring around a point under my C/P FL average. Studied using Kaplan books for content review and Uworld for supplementation.

CARS: Was my hardest section the entire time studying. My full length average for this section was around a 126. I hired a tutor for this subject who taught me how to read the paragraphs as if I was looking for the foundation of the question they were going to ask. Also, I primarily struggled with humanities passages, grinded a lot of these on Uworld. Ended up with a 130 on test day, which was a personal best.

B/B: normally my best section. averaged a 129.5 on full lengths. Choked on exam day comparatively. I studied by watching all the youtube in the world, because b/b content review is so thorough, i would gouge my eyes out if i only read it. did a lot of Uworld on this. was averaging over 80% on the uworld, didnt pan out on exam day.

P/S: I never studied too hard for psych, just memorized the things I didn't believe to be "intuitive." Like development, parts of the brain and what they do, learning and memory, and sensation and perception. I found the rest to be pretty straight forward and easy. P/s average was 129.5. Studied using handmade flash cards and Uworld. averaged over 90% on uworld in final week.

Kaplan and Uworld, i wish i bought AAMC FLs

Kaplan 1,2,3: 509, 510, 511
Biology
COMMIT. It is pain but just do it!!!! then you won't have to feel the MCAT pain anymore. Most everyone is capable of doing it, i believe, its just about how badly you want it and how long you are willing to commit to it.
36 Days

Too bad there aren't more data points, because this thread is one of the most useful at SDN. Here is a summary of the entries over the last eighteen months, and it looks like everyone did something different. Other than doing all of the AAMC materials you can, including doing the SBs two times, there is no clear 'best' option like there was for the older MCAT.

STUDENT 1
7/13/19 - 514 (127/128/128/131)

C/P - UWorld for questions
Kaplan books for Chem
physicsKhan Academy videos.

CARS - I didn't study for CARS.

B/B - FL's and SB
Khan videos and AK Lectures
UWorld

P/S - 86 pg Khan Academy doc and Anki

3) What materials you used for each section(
Kaplan, AAMC, UWorld, NS

Make sure you go through the SB twice and really review you FL's. It took me 2-3 times as long to review my AAMC FL's after I took them. Only focus on AAMC material the month out so you can understand HOW they ask their questions.

2 months.

STUDENT 2
517 (130, 125, 131, 131)

For the science sections, I went over all the books
For CARS, I just tried to do as much practice as I could

3) What materials you used for each section
Kaplan, EK

The MCAT is a test that reflects the effort you put into it.
If you have the time, try to do as much as you can to study for the MCAT.
I do regret not starting sooner so I could have had somewhat of a winter break.

6 weeks for about 8 hours a day

STUDENT 3
522 (130/129/132/131)

C/P: I started doing practice with FLs and UWorld very early on
I used EK books and supplemented with TBR for topics I wanted to go more in depth (kinematics, energy, optics).
CARS: I just did a ton of practice and figured out what sorta worked for me:
Did ~3 passages per day. Also did AAMC QPacks twice.
B/B: I read all of EK's books plus Kaplan's biochem
I made it a point to prioritize high-yield topics (glucose metabolism, genetics, cell bio) over lower-yield topics (organ systems)
P/S: I watched all Kahn Academy videos, took detailed notes
did all of UWorld and reviewed my mistakes carefully
drilled Premed95 (on Reddit) Anki decks.

C/P:
EK, TBR, UWorld
CARS:
TPR Handbook, EK 101 CARS, UWorld. I only finished about half of everything.
B/B:
EK, Kaplan (for biochem), UWorld but barely did any
P/S:
Kahn Academy and Anki, all of UWorld

+ Everything from the AAMC.

- 3rd party FLs are not representative of your score. Just use them to simulate exam condition and gain stamina.
- Take Biochem right before studying, if you can
- Be flexible about your schedule and adjust your plans according to your weaknesses. I studied for about three months. My schedule looked something like:

15 weeks

STUDENT 4
513 (128 C/P, 128 CARS, 128 B/BCHM, 129 P/S)

P/S I made sure i knew the terms adn vocabulary cold and able to apply them to new situations.
CARS was the hardest for me and it was just practicin as much as possible to get better

Kaplan

SELF CARE. After you take a practice test, be done for the day. review what you did wrong the next day

1 year (4 months of spraight content and 8 months of content + practice tests)

STUDENT 5
520 (131/128/130/131)

C/P - practice tests and drilled any weak section I had by going to KA for review and more practice problems.
CARS - WIthout a doubt, AAMC materials are the best to practice CARS.
B/B - Same strategy as C/P.
P/S - I took my own notes on my Onenote

AAMC, KA, JW

For CARS, you just have to find your rhythm
The month of wait after you're done with the test will be grueling with anxiety of whether you bombed the test or not.

STUDENT 6
513 (128/127/127/131)

I barely did anything for CARS
For C/P and B/B, I used UWorld to get those up, and the Kaplan P/S q-bank worked well for P/S.

Kaplan AAMC and UWorld.

Anki is a life-saver, make sure you do it every day. I made my own cards
I wish I did UWorld sooner.

About 8 weeks.

STUDENT 7
514 (130/125/130/129)

Traditional 3 month study routine

Kaplan, UWorld, AAMC, Blueprint (NS)

Don't slack on CARS.
No third party material represents AAMC CARS which is true, but you still need to practice and perfect your strategy.
don't fall into the trap of pushing CARS off.

3 months over the summer, full-time, no job, no volunteering, took the covid shortened exam

STUDENT 8
1) 129/125/126/130 = 510

2) C/P was mostly hammered into me during the AAMC material review

CARS: Mainly AAMC, never uWORLD

B/B: A lot of UWORLD, but also some of TPR review books. AK lectures is great. I used AAMC to pretty much confirm that I was a 70%-80% scorer

P/S: Some uWorld, some AAMC. Filling random content gaps with ANKI decks. The 300 page doc for days when I was particularly lazy.

I relied heavily on uWORLD, ANKI, AAMC, Kaplan Flash cards, TPR books and practice exams. I also consulted my old texts

Trust yourself.
Don't get jammed up by lengthy passages like I did on CARS.

I wrote 5/20, started ordering stuff around December.

STUDENT 9
512-125/130/126/131

C/P: I faded this subject because I figured it would be the most work for the fewest amount of points. Studied using Kaplan books for content review and Uworld for supplementation.

CARS: I hired a tutor for this subject who taught me how to read the paragraphs Also, I primarily struggled with humanities passages, grinded a lot of these on Uworld.

B/B: Choked on exam day comparatively. I studied by watching all the youtube in the world, because b/b content review is so thorough, did a lot of Uworld on this. was averaging over 80% on the uworld, didnt pan out on exam day.

P/S: I never studied too hard for psych, Studied using handmade flash cards and Uworld. averaged over 90% on uworld in final week.

Kaplan and Uworld, i wish i bought AAMC FLs

COMMIT. It is pain but just do it!!!!

36 Days

Last edited:
1) CP 130 CARS 129 BB 129 PS 128 Comp 516
2) Pomodoro (45 min studying + 15 min break) studying of books and practice questions. Weekly practice full-lengths leading up to the exam. Work in Microbiology, reading microbiology/biochemistry scientific literature
3) Read Kaplan books, bought full AAMC practice pack of questions and practice tests
4) AAMC practice full-lengths. Took 16.
5) What was your undergraduate major? Neuroscience BS. Work in Microbiology/Infectious Diseases
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? Read scientific literature and practice asking questions that would be on the Exam. Working in science and having hands on experience analyzing DNA and protein gels made BB way easier. Being an avid reader helped my CARS score. I had to read the PS and Physics books cover to cover for those scores.
7) How long did you study for the MCAT? 6 ish months. 1 hour before dinner and 2 hours after. Many hours on weekends.

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 128/129/129/130
2) The study method used for each section: CP/BB/PS: lots of practice Qs. CARS: working on pacing
3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc): C/P: NS (now blueprint), CARS: NS and Jack Westin, B/B: NS, P/S: NS, the legendary 300pg document
4) Which practice tests did you use? (Optional: include scores): NS and princeton diagnostics, NS 1-6, AAMC 1-4
5) What was your undergraduate major? Psychology with a bio minor (but took the test 4yrs after graduating)
6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? Don't fall into the trap of focusing too much on content review. Just being able to successfully navigate the passages is half the battle. Also try to take biochem as close to your test date as possible. I walked into MCAT prep with a 510 diagnostic and I'm pretty sure that it was mostly dt the fact that biochem was super fresh in my mind.
7) How long did you study for the MCAT? I allotted 6mos because I was also working full-time, but COVID had a different plan...

This thread is so useful, please don't let it die! Here is what the last eleven students to post have:

AVERAGE STUDENT in this thread, over last two years
515.2 (129, 128, 129, 129)

2) The study method used for each section 3) What materials you used for each section

C/P:
UWorld 4
Kaplan 6
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
BR 2
NS/BP 2

CARS:
UWorld 3
Kaplan 4
JW 2
Khan Academy 1
EK 2
NS/BP 2
TPR 1

B/B:
UWorld 6
Kaplan 5
AK Videos 3
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
TPR 1
NS/BP 2

P/S:
UWorld 6
Kaplan 4
Anki 2
Khan Academy 3
EK 1
86-page doc 1
NS/BP 2

* The MCAT is a test that reflects the effort you put into it.
* Make sure you go through the SB twice and really review you FL's
* 3rd party FLs are not representative of your score. Just use them to simulate exam condition and gain stamina.
* Take Biochem right before studying, if you can
* Be flexible about your schedule and adjust your plans according to your weaknesses.
* SELF CARE. After you take a practice test, be done for the day. review what you did wrong the next day
* For CARS, you just have to find your rhythm
* The month of wait after you're done with the test will be grueling with anxiety of whether you bombed the test or not.
* Anki is a life-saver, make sure you do it every day. I made my own cards
* I wish I did UWorld sooner.
* Don't slack on CARS. don't fall into the trap of pushing CARS off.
* No third party material represents AAMC CARS which is true, but you still need to practice and perfect your strategy.
* Trust yourself.
* Don't get jammed up by lengthy passages like I did on CARS.
* COMMIT. It is pain but just do it!!!!
* Read scientific literature and practice asking questions that would be on the Exam. Working in science and having hands on experience analyzing DNA and protein gels made BB way easier.
* Being an avid reader helped my CARS score.
* Don't fall into the trap of focusing too much on content review. Just being able to successfully navigate the passages is half the battle.
* Also try to take biochem as close to your test date as possible.

Average of 3.6 months of committed weekly study

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, that's super helpful you did that. The advice you collected is excellent. It's interesting what people used and how varied it is. I get the feeling the material you choose is not as important as I thought it was at the time. I totally haggled over what I used, and looking back now, probably wasted too much time agonizing over it.

510, 126/128/129/127

C/P - drilling practice passages and reviewing ochem as much as possible, lol. I knew this would likely be my worst section as I really struggled with physics and chem.
CARS - I really liked Altius' recommended method of drilling CARS passages, which was, in short, one kind of drill where you read the passage for time and one drill where you read the passage for comprehension, and tried to improve both your speed and understanding. I did passages every day, and at least 10/week. Altius and AAMC passages were good, Khan Academy was okay (a little too easy compared to AAMC) and JW was also just okay - sometimes they had weird questions, but they're great for daily practice.
B/B - I was a tutor for Bio 1, so a lot of this came easily. For me, I had to make sure I really understood processes well and watched a lot of khan academy/crashcourse videos. and absolutely memorize your amino acids!! I procrastinated this but it's absolutely necessary.
P/S - I struggled with P/S more than everyone else. I had soo many anki cards on psych things and went through tons of documents (KA again), videos, and textbooks (openstax online is good for Psych and Soc concepts)

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
addressed above, oops.

AAMC 1: 495, Altius 1: 500, Altius 2: 505, Altius 3: 507, Altius 4: 508, AAMC 2: 508, Altius 5: 505, Altius 6: 507, Altius 7: 508, AAMC 3: 508, Altius 8: 506, Altius 9: 508, AAMC 4: 513

Biology

- it is SUCH a marathon, not a sprint. there will be days when the last thing you want to do is MCAT prep, but it will be worth it.
- please don't be afraid to take breaks or weeks off from MCAT studying when you're burnt out - it is so hard! give yourself some time off.
- do anki everyday, do CARS everyday.
- if you live far away from a testing center (30+ mins of driving), I would recommend getting a hotel room for the night before your test! I did this and loved it, made me feel a lot less stressed about getting to the testing center.
- bring snacks to the exam! you will want them.

7 months while doing undergrad full time (end of October - mid May)

522 (131/130/131/130)

C/P: Grind passages. Lots of practice with doing quick calculations, math shortcuts, and estimations, since I'm Barbie levels of bad at math.
CARS: Grind passages. I worked on refining a technique that works for me. In my opinion, it does not matter what "technique" you use for CARS. I highlighted a lot throughout my passages, which I'm now learning is a huge sin or something. Just do what works to get through the passage and get the information you need.
B/B: Grind passages. Review amino acids.
P/S: Pick your favourite Anki P/S deck and rip through it. I did MileDown's, or whichever one has the most cards.

For C/P and B/B, when I encountered a subject I felt unfamiliar with, I went into TBR, EK, and/or TPR and read their sections on it. I would pass on Kaplan; it's very surface-level and not very difficult.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
UWorld and Section Banks.
The MCAT, like all standardized testing, is pay-to-win. Shell out the coins for 3mo of UWorld and the SBs, do ALL of it and go DEEP on understanding why each answer is right or wrong, and you'll be fine. (6mo of UWorld, in my opinion, is too long. You can go through it in 3mo.)

4) Which practice tests did you use?
AAMC, Altius, and TBR. I really liked Altius' practice questions.
AAMC 1 = 518; AAMC 2 = 520; AAMC 3 = 518; AAMC 4 = 525. I did these all in the month before my exam date.

Physiology

Just start studying. I see a lot of people meticulously planning their study schedule and scouring the internet for what the "best" resources are, but this is a time-waster and will ultimately shoot you in the foot. I changed my study schedule and resources all the time, depending on whatever was working for me. For example, taking notes on the 300pg doc was useless for me, even if it seems to work for others. I went 100% for a P/S Anki deck and third-party practice tests instead, after two weeks of note-taking on the 300pg.

And study every day. Set aside a small brick of time every day (30min, 45min, 1hr, whatever) and make it happen. I wouldn't go over 1hr daily for the sake of burnout.

Find out what makes you focus. For me, it was a decaf black coffee from 3pm-6pm with lofi girl hiphop. Once I figured out how to get my one-way ticket to The Zone™, both MCAT studying and all of undergrad became so much easier.

And, once you take the exam, you will walk out feeling like a dumpster heap. After my MCAT, I was so hyped up and an anxious wreck. Like, straight-up whacked out. My housemate walked home on me in my boxers, dripping sweat from an 8mi run, furiously mopping the kitchen floor while playing K.K. Slider music out loud. Despite this, do not cancel your score. I almost cancelled my score and I'm so glad I didn't.

Take the MCAT early so that you have time for a retake before you submit the primary. Not having to do the test while juggling secondaries was a godsend and, in my opinion, got me a lot of interviews through high-quality secondaries.

9-10mo, give or take, while doing undergrad full-time and working part-time. This is a marathon, not a race, like the above said. A part of my success is playing the long game and spacing out study time.

Godspeed. I love you. I know how stressful this exam is -- and how freeing it is when it's over. Do not forget that you are more than an acceptance to a medical school, regardless of what your parents or your insecurities say. Take time to be human as well: go get drunk with your friends, go play video games, go on dates and do the walk of shame after, go hiking, go stargazing and cloudwatching and birdwatching, whatever makes you whole. If you think you don't have time for these things: yes, you do.

Edit: I can't answer any specific questions about how I studied for the MCAT. I took it January 2022 and I've completely forgotten how I approached the MCAT outside of these tips. I've blacked it all out, to be honest. This is the most I can offer you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have updated the stats to reflect the latest additions. There are more pieces of advice that were really good, so they have been added top the list. If this list tells you anything it's that there are several good ways to study for this exam, and you need to do what works for you. Don't be afraid to change your plan if it's not working for you. Good Luck!!!

AVERAGE STUDENT in this thread, over last two years
515.4 (129, 128, 129, 129)

2) The study method used for each section 3) What materials you used for each section

C/P:
UWorld 6
Kaplan 6
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
BR 2
NS/BP 2

CARS:
UWorld 4
Kaplan 4
JW 2
Khan Academy 1
EK 2
NS/BP 2
TPR 1
Altius 1

B/B:
UWorld 7
Kaplan 5
AK Videos 3
Khan Academy 2
EK 2
TPR 1
NS/BP 2

P/S:
UWorld 7
Kaplan 4
Anki 2
Khan Academy 3
EK 1
86-page doc 1
NS/BP 2
MilesDown: 2

* The MCAT is a test that reflects the effort you put into it.
* Make sure you go through the SB twice and really review you FL's
* 3rd party FLs are not representative of your score. Just use them to simulate exam condition and gain stamina.
* Take Biochem right before studying, if you can
* Be flexible about your schedule and adjust your plans according to your weaknesses.
* SELF CARE. After you take a practice test, be done for the day. review what you did wrong the next day
* For CARS, you just have to find your rhythm
* The month of wait after you're done with the test will be grueling with anxiety of whether you bombed the test or not.
* Anki is a life-saver, make sure you do it every day. I made my own cards
* I wish I did UWorld sooner.
* Don't slack on CARS. don't fall into the trap of pushing CARS off.
* No third party material represents AAMC CARS which is true, but you still need to practice and perfect your strategy.
* Trust yourself.
* Don't get jammed up by lengthy passages like I did on CARS.
* COMMIT. It is pain but just do it!!!!
* Read scientific literature and practice asking questions that would be on the Exam. Working in science and having hands on experience analyzing DNA and protein gels made BB way easier.
* Being an avid reader helped my CARS score.
* Don't fall into the trap of focusing too much on content review. Just being able to successfully navigate the passages is half the battle.
* Also try to take biochem as close to your test date as possible.
* it is SUCH a marathon, not a sprint. there will be days when the last thing you want to do is MCAT prep, but it will be worth it.
* please don't be afraid to take breaks or weeks off from MCAT studying when you're burnt out - it is so hard! give yourself some time off.
* do anki everyday, do CARS everyday.
* if you live far away from a testing center (30+ mins of driving), I would recommend getting a hotel room for the night before your test! I did this and loved it, made me feel a lot less stressed about getting to the testing center.
* bring snacks to the exam! you will want them
* Find out what makes you focus. For me, it was a decaf black coffee from 3pm-6pm with lofi girl hiphop. Once I figured out how to get my one-way ticket to The Zone™, both MCAT studying and all of undergrad became so much easier.
* Just start studying. I see a lot of people meticulously planning their study schedule and scouring the internet for what the "best" resources are, but this is a time-waster and will ultimately shoot you in the foot.

Average of 3.9 months of committed weekly study