FutureSurgical

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for posting. Very helpful.

What do RBT and RWT mean? You used these terms when discussing CARS strategy.

Also, of the various third party CARS resources you used, which were the closest to AAMCAS CARS?

Appreciate the insights.
On thing I'd like to add to UWorld:

Their passages were mostly easy to read and comprehend. That doesn't always translate to the true MCAT, where I easily had 2-4 passages that were dense and difficult to follow. That is the only downside.

HOWEVER, the questions they ask are pretty hard. I would finish a passage and think "oh man, that was pretty easy to follow. Bring it on." Then, I'd get wrecked by the questions because it really teases out how much you understood what the author was trying to say. It really makes you think like how the AAMC wants you to think as a 130-132 (in CARS) test taker.

Reactions: MyOdyssey
Aug 14, 2018
Hey everyone, saw this thread and wanted to contribute in hopes that someone else might find this helpful!

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
5/24/19 - 516 (131/125/130/130)

2) The study method used for each section
Overall, for all content sections, I had a specific process I figured out halfway through my time studying that worked well for me. Given more time, I think I would have been able to score a bit higher using this method, at least for me. The process was as follows: First I suspended the whole ortho deck at the start of studying for a section. Then, I would read an individual Kaplan book chapter, and then unsuspend the topics that I'd just covered in the Kaplan book from the ortho deck and do my Anki for the day. The NEXT day, Id do the associated UWorld with those sections, then repeat the process. Over time, you'll be adding more and more ortho and compounding onto that deck as you unsuspend more topics. I mostly used this for B/B and P/S, using the ortho deck for the Anki part of this process for the B/B and ortho/cubene for the P/S.

C/P - For C/P I did all of UWorld by section within a topic, not random, so that I could see where my weaknesses were. Id then go into my books to find and clarify certain answers using UWorld along hte way. I did section bank very early, with 1.5 months left, then did it again a week before the exam.

CARS - I cant help you here lol. Didn't study for it.

B/B - So initially I had problems getting questions right on UWorld, so I resolved to go through the entire Kaplan bio book taking notes in question format. I would then go down these lists of questions to make sure I knew. My percentages went from 50-60 to around 85-90 from this method on UWorld. Again, I redid section bank a week before the exam. I never made my own Anki cards, I used ortho528s deck in the aforementioned strategy.

P/S - I think this is pretty well known, but I watched the KA vids at 2x speed while reading the 300 page doc and then did the Anki associated with that section. UWorld next day. Section bank was also done twice at the same time as those previous sections.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, ExamKrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
Kaplan, AAMC, UWorld, NS for all.

4) Which practice tests did you use? (Optional: include scores)
NSDiag - 498 (125/123/123/127) - Taken while running an experiment in the lab, untimed.
NS1 - 507 (128/125/127/127)
NS2 - 511 (128/126/130/127)
NS3 - 510 (127/126/128/129)
NS4 - 511 (129/125/129/128)

AAMC FL1 - 519 (131/127/131/130)
AAMC FL2 - 520 (132/128/130/130)
AAMC FL3 - 521 (131/128/131/131)
Sample - Taken as a question bank the day before the exam, got around 93-100% on the content sections.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Biomedical Engineering.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Study CARS early, no matter the NS score. I fell into the trap of "It'll work itself out, its just NS and its garbage CARS" but it clearly was quite indicative. Even in FL1-3 I thought I was a bit shaky and got somewhat lucky with 128s but I didn't study for it at all just because I thought in the 3 week timeframe I had it was low yield.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
3.5 months while being a full time student and working in the lab.

Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Two words: Youtube videos and Uworld.

1) 514 (128, 125 (!), 129, 132) 91 percentile. First time taking it.

FL 1: 512
FL 2: 515
FL 3: 511

Background: 3.4 GPA, 3.27 science. I went to a public research university (not a top 20). Lots of B's in science classes (and C in ochem+biochem). I felt like I understood the science content but for some reason wouldn't test well. If you struggled with science classes do not worry, if I did it you will be able to :)

Classes that (I think) helped me for the test: physiology (even tho I had to relearn a lot of it), biochem, cell biology.

2)
C/P: Oh boy this is my worst section. I read all of the EK books for this and it was very helpful, however, the material FINALLY clicked when I started watching Pre-Med HQ videos on youtube. His videos were straight to the point and so concise that it finally made sense. This guy needs more viewers and is so underrated. I tried to watch AK and KA but the videos were so long and painfully detailed that I would get lost. After content I practiced LIKE CRAZY using all the AAMC q packs and section banks. After I finished those I worked on the uworld passages and finished all of physics and ochem questions. Practice is key here and doing scientific notations for the calculations.

B/B: This section is usually my strength and I ranged from 130-131 on the AAMC tests. I read the EK books and did a lot of practice problems. I did the section bank 3 times and that really helped me on test day (I def think you should redo these at least 3x for each section and try to not use prior knowledge when answering it). I started to see patterns and on test day I could anticipate what questions they were going to ask from the passage. Also EK didn't cover metabolism in detail so I would recommend watching YT videos on glycolysis, Krebs, ETC and to less detail gluconeogenesis, glycogensis, etc (have a good idea but don't kill yourself with small details, just know the use and the important enzyme for each).

CARS: I suck at this because english is not my first language. CARS I practiced reading slowly and then answering questions (but obviously it didn't help on test day). I didnt really see improvements while I studied so I started to emphasize this section less. Test day was the lowest I scored (I usually got around 127-128 on practice AAMC). The weird thing is that on test day the passages were the easiest I had read. Oh well!

P/S: This was the lowest scored section while I was practicing. 5 days before my test I scored 127 and a week before 126! The last 5 days I reread the 86 page document and did ALL the uworld P/S questions over the last 3 weeks which SAVED my ass test day. If I didn't do uworld there's no way I would have gotten a 132.

4) I used NS 1-4 and ranged from 507-509 at the end of my studying (I took them a few months prior but didnt look at solution, I was scoring 500-503 then). I would use them again even though they were tricky. They made AAMC feel like a breeze once I switched over to the AAMC practice content.

5) Biology. I was a Biology teacher too which helped with my foundation (mitosis/meiosis, evolution, organelles, punnett squares, etc)

6) Practice for at least 6-8 weeks, you'll be reviewing content anways as you practice. I feel that content is 40% and is 60% practice. So content is pretty important but not if you can't apply it to the test. Through practice you get comfortable seeing which questions will be asked and some of the things you need to learn aren't explicitly taught in the books. Use reddit when reviewing your tests (the solutions in AAMC suck). Don't take the test until you're ready. I rescheduled my test 3x until I felt ready.

Also, test in testing conditions. I would get anxious and nervous during my practice tests so I practiced breathing and meditation before the tests. I'm not a yogi or anything but it helped on test day because I was super calm and focused. Also go to the testing center the day before to calm your nerves and get familiar with the site. And for the love of god SLEEP! I got a good 7 hours of sleep the night before. I can't imagine not sleeping like some of these other testers. Also during the test if you're spending too long on the questions flag it and move ON! You will have extra time at the end and you can go back and look with a fresh pair of eyes. I did this on test day and I was able to figure out the problems quickly once I took a little break.

7) Started in January so 5 months part time, few hours M-F, 5-6 hours on weekends (I was working 40-50 hours a week). I took a break in March for a week to travel. From May to end of June I studied 1 month full time.

Don't stress, take your time, YOU CAN DO IT.
I know this was a year ago but I am curious, did you watch all of premed HQ videos or just his MCAT ones? Chem is easily my weakest section and I want to bring it up greatly.

wb100

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I know this was a year ago but I am curious, did you watch all of premed HQ videos or just his MCAT ones? Chem is easily my weakest section and I want to bring it up greatly.
I pretty much watched all his videos because they were relevant to the MCAT. Even if I knew the topic I still watched the video because his explanations were gold and helped me organize my understanding.

Reactions: Calizboosted76
Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I pretty much watched all his videos because they were relevant to the MCAT. Even if I knew the topic I still watched the video because his explanations were gold and helped me organize my understanding.
I just began watching his videos today and they seem to really solidify the couple topics I have watched thus far (aside from him rambling about the inhibitors). C/P is such a bad section for me, if I could pull it up I could take the MCAT today and get my goal score smh.

MyOdyssey

2+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey everyone, saw this thread and wanted to contribute in hopes that someone else might find this helpful!

5/24/19 - 516 (131/125/130/130)

Overall, for all content sections, I had a specific process I figured out halfway through my time studying that worked well for me. Given more time, I think I would have been able to score a bit higher using this method, at least for me. The process was as follows: First I suspended the whole ortho deck at the start of studying for a section. Then, I would read an individual Kaplan book chapter, and then unsuspend the topics that I'd just covered in the Kaplan book from the ortho deck and do my Anki for the day. The NEXT day, Id do the associated UWorld with those sections, then repeat the process. Over time, you'll be adding more and more ortho and compounding onto that deck as you unsuspend more topics. I mostly used this for B/B and P/S, using the ortho deck for the Anki part of this process for the B/B and ortho/cubene for the P/S.

C/P - For C/P I did all of UWorld by section within a topic, not random, so that I could see where my weaknesses were. Id then go into my books to find and clarify certain answers using UWorld along hte way. I did section bank very early, with 1.5 months left, then did it again a week before the exam.

CARS - I cant help you here lol. Didn't study for it.

B/B - So initially I had problems getting questions right on UWorld, so I resolved to go through the entire Kaplan bio book taking notes in question format. I would then go down these lists of questions to make sure I knew. My percentages went from 50-60 to around 85-90 from this method on UWorld. Again, I redid section bank a week before the exam. I never made my own Anki cards, I used ortho528s deck in the aforementioned strategy.

P/S - I think this is pretty well known, but I watched the KA vids at 2x speed while reading the 300 page doc and then did the Anki associated with that section. UWorld next day. Section bank was also done twice at the same time as those previous sections.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, ExamKrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
Kaplan, AAMC, UWorld, NS for all.

NSDiag - 498 (125/123/123/127) - Taken while running an experiment in the lab, untimed.
NS1 - 507 (128/125/127/127)
NS2 - 511 (128/126/130/127)
NS3 - 510 (127/126/128/129)
NS4 - 511 (129/125/129/128)

AAMC FL1 - 519 (131/127/131/130)
AAMC FL2 - 520 (132/128/130/130)
AAMC FL3 - 521 (131/128/131/131)
Sample - Taken as a question bank the day before the exam, got around 93-100% on the content sections.

Biomedical Engineering.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Study CARS early, no matter the NS score. I fell into the trap of "It'll work itself out, its just NS and its garbage CARS" but it clearly was quite indicative. Even in FL1-3 I thought I was a bit shaky and got somewhat lucky with 128s but I didn't study for it at all just because I thought in the 3 week timeframe I had it was low yield.

3.5 months while being a full time student and working in the lab.
Can you please give your assessment of the quality of UWorld's question bank by section? Were any particularly good or bad?

How did UWorld compare to NS's section?

Aug 14, 2018
Can you please give your assessment of the quality of UWorld's question bank by section? Were any particularly good or bad?

How did UWorld compare to NS's section?
I thought pretty much every single section of UWorld was great for learning the content necessary. I wouldnt look towards it to compare and gauge your ability to do AAMC but as a teaching tool they cant be beat. I thought maybe a few portions of the physics may have been a bit out there but again its a teaching tool for what could be on the exam and was still good overall.

As for the comparison to NS, hard to say since the primary difficulty at least for me on NS came from deciphering the hieroglyphics they were speaking in during passages. Different levels of difficulty. I would say UWorld is harder in terms of getting to the right answer, but NS is OVERALL harder just because they pull obscure wording and concepts that you wouldn't necessarily dream of on the real (Like those ridiculous calculations on their CP).

May 7, 2019
I am expecting my score back on Aug 20.

Does anyone know what time the scores come out?

Should I set an alarm for 1201AM?

FutureSurgical

5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I am expecting my score back on Aug 20.

Does anyone know what time the scores come out?

Should I set an alarm for 1201AM?
I've seen them usually come out at around 10 a.m. central time. Don't set an alarm lol. And they will NOT email you when the scores are released

Jan 28, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey all, just got my score back and decided to post here in case it could be helpful.

Background: Chem major.

7/13/19 - 514 (127/128/128/131)

C/P - UWorld. I did the majority of questions here. Nothing is low yield, so just try to get comfortable with unit conversion, scientific notation. Also, knowing the base units. For ex, Newtons being kg * m / s^2 and converting that to joules, etc. That helped with timing, which I had to work on through practice exams. I read the Kaplan books for Chem, but for physics I opted for Khan Academy videos.

CARS - I didn't study for CARS.

B/B - Honestly, the FL's and SB helped me improve in this section. Learning how to interpret experimental data, identifying independent and dependent variables, and what conclusion you could draw from the data. Khan videos and AK Lectures, and also UWorld helped me get the material down.

P/S - 86 pg Khan Academy doc and Anki. I made my own cards while watching Khan vids and going through the 86 pg doc. I think the 300 pg isn't really necessary.

Kaplan, AAMC, UWorld, NS

NS1 - 503 (125/125/125/128)
NS2 - 504 (127/124/127/126)

AAMC FL1 - 513 (127/130/127/129)
AAMC FL2 - 512 (129/128/127/127)
AAMC FL3 - 504 (126/126/127/125) - this terrified the hell out of me as it was 2 days before my official MCAT. I think I was just burnt out.

Sample - 87%

Chemistry

Make sure you go through the SB twice and really review you FL's. It took me 2-3 times as long to review my AAMC FL's after I took them. Only focus on AAMC material the month out so you can understand HOW they ask their questions.

2 months.

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
517 (130, 125, 131, 131)

For the science sections, I went over all the books and made sure I was solid on the content before attempting any practice. I did that for about a 3 weeks, and then began doing practice questions. It became a mix of doing practice questions, reviewing mistakes, and then going over the relevant content again. Eventually, I began doing practice tests- for the last month, I was doing a practice test every roughly every 3 days. For CARS, I just tried to do as much practice as I could to become a better reader. Although I didn't do as well as I hoped on CARS, I was receiving 128-130s on the AAMC tests.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
Kaplan, EK

Kaplan, NS, AAMC

Neuroscience, Economics

The MCAT is a test that reflects the effort you put into it. If you have the time, try to do as much as you can to study for the MCAT. Since I took the MCAT in January of my junior year, I put off studying until the beginning of my winter break. If I could go back, I would try to fit studying into my fall semester wherever I could. Instead, I spent Christmas, New Years, and my 21st birthday studying in a library. While I don't regret studying that much at all, I do regret not starting sooner so I could have had somewhat of a winter break.

6 weeks for about 8 hours a day (including my 21st birthday!)

Flying Penguin

One pomodoro at a time
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2017
GO BLUE!
1) Your individual scores and composite score

522 (130/129/132/131)

C/P:
I started doing practice with FLs and UWorld very early on (like on the first week of studying). I found out during practice that I had a pretty good understanding of C/P content, so I mostly only did content review for materials I missed in practice. I used EK books and supplemented with TBR for topics I wanted to go more in depth (kinematics, energy, optics). I periodically wrote out all the equations I knew from memory to keep them fresh. Did practice consistently.
CARS:
English is my second language so I didn't have much confidence going in. I just did a ton of practice and figured out what sorta worked for me: I highlighted the first sentence of each paragraph to remind myself of the big ideas. Did ~3 passages per day. Also did AAMC QPacks twice.
B/B:
This was the section that I lacked the most in content. I read all of EK's books plus Kaplan's biochem, took detailed notes, drew out biochem pathways periodically. I made it a point to prioritize high-yield topics (glucose metabolism, genetics, cell bio) over lower-yield topics (organ systems), but still managed to cover all the bases. (surprise! My actual exam had super low-yield organ system questions). Did practice alongside content review.
P/S:
I watched all Kahn Academy videos, took detailed notes, did all of UWorld and reviewed my mistakes carefully, and drilled Premed95 (on Reddit) Anki decks. I had the 86 page document from Reddit but didn't end up using it because taking my own notes helped me retain info much better.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, TBR, etc)
C/P:
EK, TBR, UWorld
CARS:
TPR Handbook, EK 101 CARS, UWorld. I only finished about half of everything.
B/B:
EK, Kaplan (for biochem), UWorld but barely did any
P/S:
Kahn Academy and Anki, all of UWorld

+ Everything from the AAMC.

NS 1 - 3: 508, 508, 509
EK 1: 74%
AAMC Sample/FL 1/FL 2/FL3: 518/519/521/523

Neuroscience major, History minor. Had taken Gen chem 1-2, Orgo 1-2, physics 1-2, biochem, and a few psychology and humanities classes. Do research in behavioral neuroscience. I took biochem the semester before studying which I feel was HUGE.

- 3rd party FLs are not representative of your score. Just use them to simulate exam condition and gain stamina.
- Take Biochem right before studying, if you can
- Be flexible about your schedule and adjust your plans according to your weaknesses. I studied for about three months. My schedule looked something like:

FL on the weekend every other week

First month: worked 20 hours per week, studying was equal parts content review and practice, which complemented each other

Second month: started studying full-time, did one EK chapter of either C/P or B/B + a few videos of P/S + 3 CARS passages + 50 UWorld per day

Last month: practice practice practice, using ONLY AAMC material. Finished content review of low-yield materials.

15 weeks

Reactions: jdrb0130

StewartOConnor

Almost a med student :)
Sep 28, 2019
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
1) Your individual scores and composite score 513 (128 C/P, 128 CARS, 128 B/BCHM, 129 P/S)
2) The study method used for each section. For P/S I made sure i knew the terms adn vocabulary cold and able to apply them to new situations. All of the hard sciences started with 4 months of content review and then just questions adn questions and questions. CARS was the hardest for me and it was just practicin as much as possible to get better. I tried to think about the tone first then the main idea based on that which ultimately gave me my balanced score.
Kaplan was the best. They give very hard content so my AAMC practice test and real scores were higher by 7 points. I averaged a 503 on the Kaplan practice. Was so scared, but to see my real score it was worth theh stress.
Kaplan scores: 498, 501, 505, 503, 504
AAMC practice: 509
Bio and chem double major
SELF CARE. After you take a practice test, be done for the day. review what you did wrong the next day, but take the time off after you spent 7 hours on your practice exam. I would watch a movie or spend time with friends.
1 year (4 months of spraight content and 8 months of content + practice tests)

Reactions: Shotapp

malikhind

2+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2017
Status
Dental Student
526, 132/131/132/131

With the exception of CARS, my study method was largely identical for each section. I studied for 13 weeks total while working full time 60+ hours a week. I spent my first 3 weeks just reading through the Kaplan books. I didn't make any flashcards, or notes because the point was to get a broad overview of every topic that was fair game. Afterward, I started doing timed practice problems from good sources (AAMC question packs, AAMC section Banks, NextStep question banks, and Uworld were what I used). I did 30 questions at a time (~half of a section's worth of questions) and then reviewed every single question thoroughly. I made Anki cards based on anything I missed, or anytime I encountered a topic that I felt even a tiny bit fuzzy about and reviewed the ever-increasing Anki deck throughout my study schedule. To review the 30 questions in depth took 2-4 hours depending on how I did on those questions. For CARS, I did 1-2 timed passages every study day (I gave myself one day off each week) back-to-back and then reviewed. I also took 10 total timed full-length tests, one each week after my initial 3-week content review.
Would you mind explaining what you did when you went through each practice question thoroughly?

Apr 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Would you mind explaining what you did when you went through each practice question thoroughly?
There is no one thing that I did, as it varied tremendously depending on the problem.

Essentially, make sure you know why the correct answer is correct, and why all of the incorrect answers are incorrect. If there was any topic involved in the question/passage you felt even a little bit shaky about, review it. Prioritize conceptual understanding over memorization and focus on methods of studying that work for you, not what works for other people.

Reactions: malikhind
Jul 22, 2019
526, 132/131/132/131

With the exception of CARS, my study method was largely identical for each section. I studied for 13 weeks total while working full time 60+ hours a week. I spent my first 3 weeks just reading through the Kaplan books. I didn't make any flashcards, or notes because the point was to get a broad overview of every topic that was fair game. Afterward, I started doing timed practice problems from good sources (AAMC question packs, AAMC section Banks, NextStep question banks, and Uworld were what I used). I did 30 questions at a time (~half of a section's worth of questions) and then reviewed every single question thoroughly. I made Anki cards based on anything I missed, or anytime I encountered a topic that I felt even a tiny bit fuzzy about and reviewed the ever-increasing Anki deck throughout my study schedule. To review the 30 questions in depth took 2-4 hours depending on how I did on those questions. For CARS, I did 1-2 timed passages every study day (I gave myself one day off each week) back-to-back and then reviewed. I also took 10 total timed full-length tests, one each week after my initial 3-week content review.

I used Kaplan books. As well as most of the official AAMC material.

In order: AAMC Sample (~high 80% low 90% in each section), NS 1-5 (~512-518), AAMC #1 (523), AAMC Sample (high 90s in all sections), AAMC #2 (528), AAMC #3 (525)

Computer Engineering w/ Electrical Engineering minor (CE is often known as Electrical Engineering/Computer Science), but I graduated a long time ago.

Stop doing content review and start doing high-quality practice problems. Trust the process and remember, everyone else is just as panicked as you are.

~350-400 hours over 13 weeks, I work full time and have a lot of extracurriculars on my plate so I had to be really efficient with my time. When I sat down to study, I really studied. I did 3-4 hours (one of the question blocks I mentioned above), my 1-2 CARS questions and reviewed my Anki cards every weekday before/after work depending on the day. Took Saturday off completely and then spent 12 hours on Sunday doing a full length and reviewing it.

Good luck everyone, hang in there! :)
Hey can I message you with some questions about applying with an engineering background?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Apr 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey can I message you with some questions about applying with an engineering background?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Sure! I'm not the fastest at responding tbh, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Apr 15, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical