Medical 513 (127/124/131/131) should I retake - URM female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score back and I've already submitted my primary application. I'm really upset about my CARS score, I know I can improve but I'm wondering, is it worth it? Will I automatically get screened out?
For some more info, I am URM Black female, ivy league undergrad 3.29 sGPA 3.52 cGPA. high upward trend of 3.7-3.8 last two years of college. Was physically assaulted semester of freshman year and got a concussion, my grades took a big hit due to the aftermath of everything.

Thank you for your advice!

edit: I'm a NY resident and would love to attend a NYC school
So help me, if you retake that perfectly fine score, I will reach through the electrons and give you a dope slap!

CARS is the one category where you get cut some slack, and we really, really need URM doctors, especially those with compelling stories and grit.

Start with WashU and radiate outwards. Any school is yours. Be sure to include all SUNYs and the HBCs.

Members don't see this ad.

Re-iterating the above. You're fine. Don't retake. Don't assume either. Have reaches, have fall backs.

One thing of note, don't apply anywhere where you would not want to live or go to school. There have been numerous instances, especially popping up in the last year, of "I got accepted to XYZ and I really don't want to go there, can I defer and reapply [or] what are my chances for the waitlist at XYZ?"

I state this because being URM female, while nothing is automatic, you have a great shot (aside from already having a decent shot from your GPA/MCAT on their own), and if you get accepted somewhere you ultimately don't want to go, but you applied there, welp... you're going now or risk not going at all anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.