513/3.6 about to go second (and last) year with NO interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAppleJuice

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
stats, 513/3.6, top 20 undergrad biochemistry major. I would say a little bit of a downward trend in gpa..

NC resident
clinical: 150
non-clinical: 100
shadowing: 150
research: 100+ hours
work: 1000+
4 clubs with moderate hours

I applied as a junior and did not get in, not even a single interview. I am now in my gap year with additional work and in the same place (no interviews)

I cannot apply a third time. I have nothing but extra work (and I need to work full time to pay my student loans :( I hardly have time to volunteer extra now, and I feel like it wouldn't really be a huge improvement anyway for a third application

my 2 state schools are generous in giving in state interviews, so where am I going wrong?

I believe very strongly I have above average letters..

for the record, I made it pretty far in the application cycle and past many rejections waves without being rejected last year (Dartmouth, Wake, UNC etc.) all the way through the spring...... not sure if that means anything, I've heard mixed things. but I feel like I have a DECENT app at the least; not Harvard material but certainly med school (top 10% MCAT??)

this time I was rejected from Dartmouth already much earlier than last time. again, not sure if that means anything but idk what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
School list?

1st and second year of applying

Sorry about your ordeal but I say stay the course. If you truly cannot see yourself doing something other than medicine than you will find yourself applying again and again. Don't give up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have the 1000+ hours of work in your last year or this year.

That's only seven schools. UCD is California. Rosalind Franklin, Tufts, GT and GW are well known to have HUGE applicant pools, which makes them kinda long shots for anyone -- particularly if your ECs are 'meh' or 'cookie cutter'.

What were your safeties?
When were your applications complete?
What kind of feedback did you get on your personal statement?
Did you also apply DO? And if not, why not? (Would you now?)
What did you do between your first and second cycles to improve your application?

Reactions: 2 users
UCD was just a donation. They take almost no OOS without ties to the NorCal/Central Valley area, in fact they even take very few Californians without ties to the area.

What does your complete list look like, vs your list last year?
What have you done to improve your application since last year?

Reactions: 1 user
150 hours of shadowing and only 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering over 4 years of college is too much watching and not enough doing, IMHO.

IAs? Are you sure you don't have a bad letter or something else that is a red flag? It is peculiar not to ever get an interview in two attempts from a good state (NC).

What kind of work are you doing in this gap year?

Rewrite essays, look into how your LORs were, and maybe have a better school list? Your stats are pretty good...

Did you apply early this year and broadly? To more than just seven schools?

100% school list. I know someone with a worse overall application that got 4 interviews and 2 acceptances out of 20 secondaries

Reactions: 1 users
stats, 513/3.6, top 20 undergrad biochemistry major. I would say a little bit of a downward trend in gpa..

NC resident
clinical: 150
non-clinical: 100
shadowing: 150
research: 100+ hours
work: 1000+
4 clubs with moderate hours

I applied as a junior and did not get in, not even a single interview. I am now in my gap year with additional work and in the same place (no interviews)

I cannot apply a third time. I have nothing but extra work (and I need to work full time to pay my student loans :( I hardly have time to volunteer extra now, and I feel like it wouldn't really be a huge improvement anyway for a third application

my 2 state schools are generous in giving in state interviews, so where am I going wrong?

I believe very strongly I have above average letters..

for the record, I made it pretty far in the application cycle and past many rejections waves without being rejected last year (Dartmouth, Wake, UNC etc.) all the way through the spring...... not sure if that means anything, I've heard mixed things. but I feel like I have a DECENT app at the least; not Harvard material but certainly med school (top 10% MCAT??)

this time I was rejected from Dartmouth already much earlier than last time. again, not sure if that means anything but idk what to do.
If you wanna be a doc throw out some DO apps man. Happy to read PS