WAMC/School List help: 513 3.67 Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychedt

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 3.67 sGPA: 3.52 with upward trend (3.0 to 3.7 to 3.75 to 3.9)
  2. MCAT: 513 - C/P: 128 CARS: 129 BIO: 126 P/S: 130 (took in April 2022 but I believe it should still be valid for most, if not all schools)
  3. California Resident
  4. White/Middle Eastern
  5. Institution: Cal Poly SLO
  6. Clinical exp: ER scribe for one year - about 750 hours. Scribe, eventually scribe manager for inpatient and outpatient county psychiatry peds/adult clinic. About 2500 hours. Volunteer at syringe exchange program - about 100 hours.
  7. Research Exp: Third author pub in neuroscience research. Lab manager of that same neuroscience lab. First author manuscript submitted for publication, has not been published yet. Poster presentations at CNS and SFN. Designed and conducted a unique study on meditation for my senior project. Research internship in an international lab studying attention and timing in the brain.
  8. Shadowing: Shadowed a cardiologist for about 5 hours early in college. Shadowed two anasthesiologists for about 10 hours later in college.
  9. Non clinical volunteering: About 100 hours volunteering with adults with disabilities in SLO. 25 hours of volunteering for an organization called phone friends, giving lonely elderly folks company during the height of the pandemic. About 25 hours of food bank volunteering. I also plan on coaching a group of girls in a 5k this spring for an organization called girls on the run that is centered around empowering young women, but if I’m unable to do so I plan on doing some other type of volunteering or mentoring with youth.
  10. Other activities: Currently I’m working full time as an analytical chemistry researcher at UCSF. I started in October and will most likely remain in this job until I hopefully matriculate. I was a study session leader during my undergraduate years for chemistry and physics — about 600 hours. I do private tutoring now for extra income. I was also the volunteer chair coordinator on the AMSA exec board for one year in school.
  11. Awards: President’s list Sophomore, junior, and senior year of college.
  12. Other info: I applied to a whopping 47 MD schools in June of 2022. In hindsight, I think it was too many, although I and close friends/colleagues felt like my writing was strong across the board. I was on time/early with my submissions as well. I ended up getting one interview to a mid tier school I would’ve been very happy to attend, but was waitlisted and not taken off. I plan to apply to somewhere between 20 and 35 this cycle. I also plan on applying DO this cycle so I am curious what schools would be recommended for me as well.
Your insight is greatly appreciated. Here is an uncut list of MD schools I am thinking of applying to this cycle but I know I should try and cut it in half or more. I think I also may have gone wrong applying to too many low-yield schools the first time around so I tried to incorporate some more public schools that might be a little friendlier to out-of-state individuals, but I suppose that logic could be wrong as well. Some of these I applied to last year, some I did not:

California Northstate
CUSM
Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UVM
MCW
U wash Seattle
EVMS
VCU
VTC
TCU
Texas at Tyler
Univ South Carolina Greenville
Brown
Drexel
Geisenger
Temple
Penn State
Sidney Kimmel
Univ of Pittsburgh
Ohio state
Univ of Cincinnati
Univ of North Dakota
Wake forest
Albany
NYMC
Cooper
Hackensack
Kirk UNLV
Univ of Nebraska
St Louis
Univ of Minnesota
Oakland
Wayne state
Stryker
Tufts
U Kansas
Univ of Iowa
Rosalind Franklin
Univ of Illinois
Emory
Nova
UCF
Univ of Miami
GW
Quinnipiac
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Arizona Phoenix

DO:
Rocky Vista Univ
NYC of OM of NYIT
Western Univ of Health Sciences
Michigan State Univ
Midwestern Univ
Touro

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to a whopping 47 MD schools in June of 2022
As a reapplicant, you should let us know where you previously applied and the results (interviews, waitlist after interview).

How did you network while an AMSA premed member? Did they help you come up with this list?

Many UC schools favor students who grew up in the region. Where did you grow up in California?

As a reapplicant, you should let us know where you previously applied and the results (interviews, waitlist after interview).

How did you network while an AMSA premed member? Did they help you come up with this list?

Many UC schools favor students who grew up in the region. Where did you grow up in California?
  1. CUSM
  2. Rosalind Franklin
  3. Columbia
  4. Creighton
  5. Drexel
  6. EVMS
  7. Emory
  8. Quinnipiac
  9. Geisel
  10. GW
  11. Georgetown
  12. Hackensack
  13. Indiana Univ
  14. Kaiser
  15. Keck
  16. Temple
  17. Loyola
  18. MCW
  19. NYMC
  20. Nova
  21. Oakland Univ
  22. Penn State
  23. UVM
  24. Rush
  25. Sidney Kimmel
  26. Stanford
  27. Upstate
  28. Brown
  29. Tufts
  30. Tulane
  31. UCLA
  32. Univ of Arizona - Phoenix
  33. UCD
  34. UCI
  35. UCR
  36. UCSD
  37. UCSF
  38. Univ of Colorado
  39. Univ of Illinois
  40. Univ of Miami
  41. Univ of minnesota
  42. Univ of Rochester
  43. Univ of Washington
  44. VCU
  45. VTC
  46. Wake Forest
  47. Wayne State

Sure thing. Here is my list from the 2022 cycle. I got an interview at UVM but was waitlisted and not taken off. I came up with the list mostly through MSAR and researching each school with some conversations with senior members who had success. I grew up in Woodland Hills (north LA county).

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove California Northstate since they have accreditation issues. You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state and your stats. I suggest these schools from your list:
CUSM
Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UVM
MCW
EVMS
VCU
TCU
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Sidney Kimmel
Univ of Pittsburgh
Wake forest
Albany
NYMC
Hackensack
St Louis
Oakland
Wayne state
Stryker
Tufts
Rosalind Franklin
Univ of Illinois
Nova
UCF
Univ of Miami
GW
Quinnipiac
Univ of Colorado

DO:
Rocky Vista Univ
NYC of OM of NYIT
Western Univ of Health Sciences
Midwestern Univ
Touro
You could add these MD schools:
Creighton
Belmont
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Quinnipiac

Remove California Northstate since they have accreditation issues. You have many state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state and your stats. I suggest these schools from your list:
CUSM
Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UVM
MCW
EVMS
VCU
TCU