516 MCAT, 3.95 sGPA, 3.97 cGPA, international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaigantic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, could you all help me create a proper school list? Mine right now is way too big and I'm sure I can cut down on some schools that prefer IS or something like that. I feel like my international status may complicate this as well. Also, do you guys think I should add in a few DO schools?

Stats & specifics:
3.95 sGPA, 3.97 cGPA
516 MCAT
Caucasian
Have lived in IL for nearly my whole life but don't think I qualify as a resident given that I'm an international student.
Undergrad: UIC

Schools:

Reasonable:
Albert Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Keck USC
Medical College of Wisconsin
Penn State
Rutgers RWJ
SLU
Thomas Jefferson
SUNY upstate
Stony Brook
Tulane
UC Davis
UCLA
U. Connecticut
U of Illinois
U. Kentucky
U of Pittsburgh
West Virginia
Loma Linda
U Hawaii

Reach:
Boston U
Columbia
Harvard
Icahn
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Perelman Penn
Stanford
Pritzker
U of Virginia
Vanderbilt
WashU in St. Louis
Cornell
Yale

Bolded schools are ones I'm considering dropping. Your help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Already did that; the list is reflective of that :/
Off the top of head, UCD, UCLA and USC are unlikely candidates for multiple internationals.
I don't have access to my MSAR or I would double check.

Loma Linda is a mission-based school. Do you fit the mission?

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the top of head, UCD and USC are unlikely candidates for multiple internationals.
I don't have access to my MSAR or I would double check.

Loma Linda is a mission-based school. Do you fit the mission?
Just double checked and there are actually a few that I missed that matriculated less than 3 internationals: UCD, USC, Penn State (has 1 MD and 1 MD/PhD), Rutgers RWJ, UCLA, U of Virginia, West Viriginia, and Hawaii. I thought I had removed these but I must have left them on the list for some reason. Do you think I should remove all of them? If I do, I'll be at 30 schools but I feel like my list will be kinda top heavy.

And for Loma Linda, I'm not Christian but I am quite religious/spiritual. Dunno if this would qualify as fitting their mission.

Just double checked and there are actually a few that I missed that matriculated less than 3 internationals: UCD, USC, Penn State (has 1 MD and 1 MD/PhD), Rutgers RWJ, UCLA, U of Virginia, West Viriginia, and Hawaii. I thought I had removed these but I must have left them on the list for some reason. Do you think I should remove all of them? If I do, I'll be at 30 schools but I feel like my list will be kinda top heavy.

And for Loma Linda, I'm not Christian but I am quite religious/spiritual. Dunno if this would qualify as fitting their mission.
The list is now looking much better!
A long list of very unlikely choices is no better than a "top heavy" list of schools that might accept you.

As for LLU, how do you feel about alcohol, sex outside of marriage, and expected attendance at weekly chapel?
I recommend a careful look at the mission statement and the student handbook before you decide. The commitment to serve Christ is central to the medical mission.

The list is now looking much better!
A long list of very unlikely choices is no better than a "top heavy" list of schools that might accept you.

As for LLU, how do you feel about alcohol, sex outside of marriage, and expected attendance at weekly chapel?
I recommend a careful look at the mission statement and the student handbook before you decide.
My views on those things are in accordance w/LLU and while not christian I'd probably be fine with the weekly chapel. But you're right I'll have to give it more thought.

Are there any other MD schools you think I should remove or add? Any DO?

So this is what I have narrowed it down to. It's 30 schools, does anyone have any more input before I add these schools on AMCAS?

Albert Einstein
Rosalind Franklin
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Medical College of Wisconsin
SLU
Thomas Jefferson
Stony Brook
Tulane
UCLA
U. Connecticut
U of Illinois
U. Kentucky
U of Pittsburgh
Loma Linda

Reach:
Boston U
Columbia
Harvard
Icahn
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Perelman Penn
Stanford
Pritzker
Vanderbilt
WashU in St. Louis
Cornell
Yale

When there are only 2 matriculants ((like UCLA) the odds that they are inside candidates goes way up.
Ooh whoops forgot to remove that. Thanks for that.

Reactions: 1 user