55 hrs/wk average according to AAMC? Is this accurate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doccochran

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a 3rd year interested in Radiology following a Radiology elective. I was investigating the career path using the AAMC website recommended by my school - and I found the average hours per week for attending radiologist was 55 hrs/week based on a study from 2001 and another from 2011.

Are these hours accurate in 2020? I've read (mostly from these forums) that, if anything, hours have increased in recent years? Are there any other sources of average hours, for radiology or other specialties?

Thank you!

Edit:
Some sources for hours are below
-Hours across specialties (but radiology not included): Leigh, Paul J.;Tancredi, Daniel; Jerant, Anthony; Kravitz, Richard L. . Annual Work Hours Across Physician Specialties. Arch Inter Med. July 2011;171(13)1211-1213

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We are cogs in a machine. Our admin overlords mandate 65 hours/week across the board or we get replaced. Good question.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When weekend call is included, this is right about how much I work in PP.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, both days once a month. It’s a small hospital so it’s definitely doable. I usually spend a few hours watching YouTube. But have to be on site

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely not the case in academics, based on my attendings who randomly take a week off every month to spend time at one of their 5 vacation homes.

I'm not sure if more hours in private practice is a result of being forced to work that much or the result of people needing to work that much to maintain a certain lifestyle they created for themselves.

I get a week off every month too. But when I’m working it’s about 55 hrs/week.

Reactions: 2 users
We usually work like 8-430. One of the shifts has to be in house until 5 so that guy works 8-5 (contractually we must read all studies between 8-5). If you have a dentist appt or something we work around that (usually that guy leaves around 4 or comes in at 9). Anything nonurgent is scheduled for off weeks. Sometimes we swap random weekdays.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you @2brads for speaking to your experiences. It sounds like your PP workweek is roughly 45-50 hrs/wk with call weeks being ~70 hrs.

Could you speak a bit about the quality of those hours in PP? The radiologists on my rotation (all academic) seemed to have perhaps ~5 minutes of downtime per hour.

it’s variable. I get maybe 10 min per hour in the morning to screw around (surf the web, read, wander around, get coffee, etc). Usually a little more in the late afternoon as outpt work decreases. Weekend call usually 2-3 hours of play time.