5R question, # 24

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimijohni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How the heck do I do this question? Well, for any of you who can help, the question states as follows
" How many ML. of a 2M solution of Na2CO3 are required to produce 11.2 L of Co2 at STP. The equation they so shows a 1:1 ratio. Their explanation was not english to me so Im hoping someone can break it down for me easily.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

At STP, 1 mol of any ideal gas is equal to 22.4 L in volume.

So 11.2 L of CO2 is equal to 0.5 mol, which equals 0.5 mol Na2CO3 as per the mol ratio. From that you should be able to answer it.

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, thats exactly where I got to and got stuck. If you know its .5 how do you do the math from there?
soulstress said:
At STP, 1 mol of any ideal gas is equal to 22.4 L in volume.

So 11.2 L of CO2 is equal to 0.5 mol, which equals 0.5 mol Na2CO3 as per the mol ratio. From that you should be able to answer it.

Hope that helps.

Well if you know you need 0.5 mol Na2CO3 and you got a 2M solution Na2CO3, which is 2 mol/1 L, you can set up a proportion:

.5mol/ X liters = 2 mol/ 1 L (2M concentration)

X=.25 L= 250 mL

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about stopping at the mol ratio (that's the part that got me!). But yup, that's exactly what I did to find the answer too.

Thanks guys,
I appreciated it, I hate when it so simple that you think it has to be more compicated then it sounds.
Thank you