5Reapplicant advice/ school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravelingMedicine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asian California resident
cGPA 3.61 sGPA 3.53 Upward trend for the last 2ish years 3.7+ except 1 quarter.
(3.5,3.3,3.8,3.73) Had a concussion sophomore year while taking Ochem.
MCAT 516 (130,126,130,130)
  • Research ~625 hrs no publications
  • Classes at local CC
  • Virtual shadowing 30hours but continuing about 2 hours a week.
  • Clinical volunteering ~ 400 hrs
    • ER Intern (80hrs)
    • EMT rotation (36hrs)
    • Surgical Dept (70hrs)
    • ED research (30 hrs)
    • Indian Medical center Hospital relief (180 hours over two weeks)
  • Volunteering ~ 200 hours
    • Food bank/delivering groceries during the pandemic 120 hrs (no longer continuing as the mission is over)
    • Food access 80 hrs
  • TA ~120hrs
    • TAed for multiple PE classes (cycling, ultimate, rock climbing)
  • Leadership
    • Executive staff of Hiking Club that ran on donations
    • Officer positions (1 year executive and 2 year safety officer) on the Cycling Club/team.
    • Vice president of Scuba club (1 year) Worked to help bring scuba club back to the school.
    • Field training officer for new EMTs at my job/ Critical care transport for more acute and technical calls with RN on board)
  • Work
    • 1.5 years of working at a coffee shop to pay for rent - promoted to supervisor last quarter ~1450hrs
    • 3 years of summer camp job where I went from assistant coach to head coach to director of the camp ~1300hrs
    • Bike mechanic ~200hrs
    • 2 Graduation/portrait photographer
    • EMT (currently working at) ~3250 hrs
  • LOR
    • Letter from anatomy class and lab professor (taught at medical school level) -- will Update letter
    • Letter from exercise physiology/ clinical physiology professor (MD)
    • Letter from Volunteer position
    • Letter from RN from work
    • Possible Letter from MD from Indian Medical Center
I just want some advice/opinions on if what I did is sufficient and what I could do to continue to improve my upcoming application. Last cycle I got a II/WL (top1/3) from EVMS but ultimately did not get in.

Previous school list was top heavy -- BU, case, Dartmouth, duke, emory, EVMS, Hofstra, Jefferson, Miami (did not submit secondaries as they sent it to me in december), Quinnipiac, Rochester, Rosalind, Sinai, SLU, Stritch, Tufts, Tulane, UVM, UCD, UCI, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, Umass, USC and Western M.

I am planning on adding Oakland, Toledo and Creighton and removing Emory, Dartmouth, Umass, Case.
Any advice on the list and overall application would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly your app looks good, I'd just get shadowing and volunteer hours up if I were you, CA is insanely competitive. I have pretty much the exact same stats as you and was a CA resident before this year and it's tough. You already know the school list was top heavy so apply to more mid/ow tier MDs, focus on OOS schools, you should be applying DO as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Add Drexel, Temple, VCU, Wake, Colorado.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly your app looks good, I'd just get shadowing and volunteer hours up if I were you, CA is insanely competitive. I have pretty much the exact same stats as you and was a CA resident before this year and it's tough. You already know the school list was top heavy so apply to more mid/ow tier MDs, focus on OOS schools, you should be applying DO as well.
I am looking into DO schools this cycle. It is hard to get any shadowing hours right now as everything shut down to visitors. I am currently talking to a few physicians so hopefully when the lockdown eases I can get a few hours in before this application. **fingers crossed**. Are you applying this cycle?

Add Drexel, Temple, VCU, Wake, Colorado.
I will look into it. Thank you

I am looking into DO schools this cycle. It is hard to get any shadowing hours right now as everything shut down to visitors. I am currently talking to a few physicians so hopefully when the lockdown eases I can get a few hours in before this application. **fingers crossed**. Are you applying this cycle?

I will look into it. Thank you
Due to COVID you should get cut some slack for not being able to shadow.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro
Do you think this list of DO schools is appropriate?
LECOM, LCOM Bradenton, NYITCOM, PCOM, Touro NY and CA

@Goro
Anyone have any suggestions on who else to add/or remove from this list. 40 schools seem daunting but I want to cast my net wide so I do not have to reapply again. (RA next to the schools to signify I am a reapplicant there)

I am currently getting some in person shadowing at an orthopedic/arthritis clinic (4 hours every two weeks) and continuing as a food bank volunteer (4 hours a week) in addition to everything stated above.

Loyola Stritch RA
Wright State
Geisinger
Oakland
Hackensack-Meridian
NYMC
Creighton
Penn State
Rosalind RA
Quinnipiac RA
Virginia Tech Carilion
EVMS RA (Waitlisted last round)
Drexel
George Washington
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Vermont RA
Virginia Commonwealth
Temple
Sidney Kimmel RA
Georgetown
Miller RA
USF
Colorado
UCI RA
UCD RA
Albert Einstein
Rochester RA
Cincinnati
Warrent Alpert Brown
UCSD RA
U. Michigan
UCLA RA
UCSF RA
Weill Cornell
Rush
Stony Brook
Toledo
U. Pitt
Wake Forest
WAyne

I have removed the donations

Loyola Stritch RA
Creighton
Rosalind RA
Oakland
Hackensack-Meridian
NYMC
Wake Forest
Quinnipiac RA
EVMS RA (Waitlisted last round)
Drexel
George Washington
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Vermont RA
Virginia Commonwealth
Temple
Sidney Kimmel RA
Georgetown
Miller RA
U. Pitt
Colorado
UCI RA
UCD RA
UCSF RA
Rochester RA
WAyne
Rush
ADD:
Mt Sinai
Western MI
Tufts
Mayo
Emory
Albany
SLU
More DO schools

More DO schools
I am applying to Toledo as a few of the students from my sleep research go there now.
I noticed that you removed Virginia Tech and Albert Einstein for research experience I assume?
Wright, Penn, USF, Geisinger, for fit is that correct?

I am applying to Toledo as a few of the students from my sleep research go there now.
I noticed that you removed Virginia Tech and Albert Einstein for research experience I assume?
Wright, Penn, USF, Geisinger, for fit is that correct?
Virginia Tech: likes people from rural VA and the Appalachians

Albert Einstein: don't know that they reward reinvention.

USF, Wright: State schools favor the home team, and OOSers have to be > avg

Penn: Look up Jerry Nadler and you decide

Geisinger: likes people from the Scranton area.