sillyboy
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
This is my first time posting on SDN, so let me know if there's anything I need to add. I am going to reapply this cycle and wanted some guidance/advice on my school list.
Background: Graduated this May (Biochem) from a large public state school. IL ORM (Indian Male, 21) - 4.00 cum/sci GPA, 522 MCAT (131 CP, 129 CARS, 132 BB, 130 PS). I received 3 interviews last cycle, all of which ended up in waitlists that I am still on (NW Feinberg, UVA, and RFU CMS). I'm not sure if there was a clear reason I didn't do well in the cycle, but my secondary response time wasn't great, and there was a lot I changed/fixed with my PS. I think I had decent but not crazy LORs, and I've added one from a physician I worked with closely last Summer.
Activities:
Clinical: 600 hours paid ED Tech (+400 for this cycle) - MM, 60 hours clinical outreach volunteering
Research: 1000 hours analytical chem research, 2 poster presentations + 3 abstract for national conferences + 1 paper in progress (+260 this cycle and senior thesis) - MM. ~120 hours clinical research under a critical care physician (new for this cycle) - small poster presentation + 2 abstracts for national conference + 2 papers in progress.
Shadowing: 50 hours with a hospitalist (some from shadowing his cardiology and pulmonology coworkers). ~75 hours shadowing through pre-med internship at NW in various specialties.
TA: 540 hours gen chem TA - across 3 sem
Volunteering/Leadership: ~250 hours Volunteer Chair/committee for pre-health fraternity, ~300 hours as a project lead/advisor for community-focused projects for people with disabilities - MM, 130 hours as cofounder/VP for APAMSA (asian interest pre-med group), 150 various hospital volunteering (mostly HS and first 1.5 years of college)
Awards: 7x dean's list, summer research fellowship through school, University Honors (top 3% of college by GPA), List of teachers ranked excellent by students, highest distinction in research (based on senior thesis/GPA), not an award but did a pre-med internship through Northwestern that is pretty selective (clinical research + shadowing)
Last year's school list: Stanford, UVA, UMass, Brown, Cornell, Mayo, NYU, UCSF, UMich, Iowa, CWRU, Rosalind Franklin CMS, WashU, Vanderbilt, Albert Einstein, UChicago, Columbia, UPenn, SLU, USC Keck, Icahn Mount Sinai, Duke, Thomas Jefferson-Kimmel, Harvard, Emory, Northwestern Feinberg, UCincinnati, UCLA, UIC, UMiami, Loyola (didn't complete secondary)
Current school list for this cycle: WashU, Mayo Clinic Alix, NW Feinberg, UChicago Pritzker, Duke, Vanderbilt, UCLA Geffen, U of Michigan, Emory, USC Keck, CWRU, Albert Einstein, UVA, UMiami Miller, Dartmouth Geisel, Gerogetown, Tufts SOM, U of Cincinnati, Indiana U, UIC, SLU, Iowa Carver, Temple Katz, Yale, Pitt, UW Madison, UCSD
I bolded the ones I removed from last year and the ones I added for this year. Any advice is appreciated!
This is my first time posting on SDN, so let me know if there's anything I need to add. I am going to reapply this cycle and wanted some guidance/advice on my school list.
Background: Graduated this May (Biochem) from a large public state school. IL ORM (Indian Male, 21) - 4.00 cum/sci GPA, 522 MCAT (131 CP, 129 CARS, 132 BB, 130 PS). I received 3 interviews last cycle, all of which ended up in waitlists that I am still on (NW Feinberg, UVA, and RFU CMS). I'm not sure if there was a clear reason I didn't do well in the cycle, but my secondary response time wasn't great, and there was a lot I changed/fixed with my PS. I think I had decent but not crazy LORs, and I've added one from a physician I worked with closely last Summer.
Activities:
Clinical: 600 hours paid ED Tech (+400 for this cycle) - MM, 60 hours clinical outreach volunteering
Research: 1000 hours analytical chem research, 2 poster presentations + 3 abstract for national conferences + 1 paper in progress (+260 this cycle and senior thesis) - MM. ~120 hours clinical research under a critical care physician (new for this cycle) - small poster presentation + 2 abstracts for national conference + 2 papers in progress.
Shadowing: 50 hours with a hospitalist (some from shadowing his cardiology and pulmonology coworkers). ~75 hours shadowing through pre-med internship at NW in various specialties.
TA: 540 hours gen chem TA - across 3 sem
Volunteering/Leadership: ~250 hours Volunteer Chair/committee for pre-health fraternity, ~300 hours as a project lead/advisor for community-focused projects for people with disabilities - MM, 130 hours as cofounder/VP for APAMSA (asian interest pre-med group), 150 various hospital volunteering (mostly HS and first 1.5 years of college)
Awards: 7x dean's list, summer research fellowship through school, University Honors (top 3% of college by GPA), List of teachers ranked excellent by students, highest distinction in research (based on senior thesis/GPA), not an award but did a pre-med internship through Northwestern that is pretty selective (clinical research + shadowing)
Last year's school list: Stanford, UVA, UMass, Brown, Cornell, Mayo, NYU, UCSF, UMich, Iowa, CWRU, Rosalind Franklin CMS, WashU, Vanderbilt, Albert Einstein, UChicago, Columbia, UPenn, SLU, USC Keck, Icahn Mount Sinai, Duke, Thomas Jefferson-Kimmel, Harvard, Emory, Northwestern Feinberg, UCincinnati, UCLA, UIC, UMiami, Loyola (didn't complete secondary)
Current school list for this cycle: WashU, Mayo Clinic Alix, NW Feinberg, UChicago Pritzker, Duke, Vanderbilt, UCLA Geffen, U of Michigan, Emory, USC Keck, CWRU, Albert Einstein, UVA, UMiami Miller, Dartmouth Geisel, Gerogetown, Tufts SOM, U of Cincinnati, Indiana U, UIC, SLU, Iowa Carver, Temple Katz, Yale, Pitt, UW Madison, UCSD
I bolded the ones I removed from last year and the ones I added for this year. Any advice is appreciated!
Last edited: