5th year, SMP or neither?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blasianMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a rising junior at a Top 30 school, and my cGPA is 3.32 and my sGPA is much lower, hovering around a 3.0. I did poorly in my orgo and physiology classes my freshman and beginning of sophomore years, but I did much better this past semester, finishing with a 3.7 sGPA for the semester. I really hope that I can keep this up, but I still have to take general chemistry 2 and biochemistry, two classes notorious for taking a toll on gpa's. I think that I can get my grades up to a 3.5 cGPA/3.3 sGPA by the end of my senior (4th) year. I'm interested in MD programs, so I'm contemplating a 5th year to get my gpa up closer to a 3.7, the median gpa for accepted students. During this 5th year, I would take courses like medical microbiology, parasitology, and virology, that I am confident I can do well in. Assuming I do great, I can increase my gpa up to a 3.6-3.65, as well display an upward trend. A 5th year would cost the same as a SMP, so finances wouldn't influence my decision. Additionally, I am URM, which I know plays some role in the admissions process.

I would feel much more confident during the application cycle if my gpa was above a 3.6, which is why I'm leaning more towards a 5th year. Also, I really am enjoying my years in my college, and would not mind at all staying an extra year, strengthening my extracurriculars.

As for an SMP, I am interested in looking into one because many have linkages to medical school, and really show adcoms that I can handle the rigors of medical schools.

So would a 5th year that results in an increased gpa and stronger upward trend be more beneficial than an SMP? Or would I even be fine without either of these?

Members don't see this ad.

As a URM a 3.5/3.3 + solid MCAT would be fine for many MD schools. Emphasis on the solid MCAT.

Based on your username if you are indeed 1/2 black 1/2 Asian you will probably have to indicate such, instead of 100% AA.

Your cumulative GPA is sufficient as a URM. Just work on getting A's in science classes and do well on the MCAT. Do well the next 2 years and there's no reason to start thinking about a 5th year or an SMP.

Also how in the world did you take ochem but still have to take gen chem 2

Members don't see this ad :)
@GrapesofRath The way my university works, you take gen chem 1, then the orgos, then gen chem 2, which is essentially physical chemistry. And as for the next 2 years, I am confident I can do well, but I feel like the B-/C's that I received will come back to bite me.

Thanks for the responses!

Based on your username if you are indeed 1/2 black 1/2 Asian you will probably have to indicate such, instead of 100% AA.
I don't think so, there is no requirement to mark everything there, you can choose to put down whatever you identify as and I doubt it will raise an issue in interviews. Obviously should just mark AA if maximizing MD odds is the idea !

I don't think so, there is no requirement to mark everything there, you can choose to put down whatever you identify as and I doubt it will raise an issue in interviews. Obviously should just mark AA if maximizing MD odds is the idea !
I'm pretty sure being URM+biracial is better....

@GrapesofRath The way my university works, you take gen chem 1, then the orgos, then gen chem 2, which is essentially physical chemistry. And as for the next 2 years, I am confident I can do well, but I feel like the B-/C's that I received will come back to bite me.

Thanks for the responses!

B-'s aren't what keep people out of med school. Just do well these next two years. You have time.

The bigger point is that being blatantly disingenuous about how you list your race no matter what it is and if it appears that you are trying to "game" the system is the last thing you want in your application. It's a simple race check mark; just put what you are. OP is still a URM there is nothing to worry about.

@GrapesofRath I will definitely be marking both down, since I identify with both and have a connection to both communities. However, I would have no problem with people who happen to be biracial, only marking down one of their races if they only strongly identify with one.

@Goro and @Catalystik Do you two have any advice? Thanks.