5th year Undergrad vs. Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfootxing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the ability to graduate with a physics degree in June, and my undergraduate GPA will be around 2.7. I'm looking at various MPH programs to apply to, and most of them have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0. Some of them however, say they look at the last 90 units (at a quarter system school) of coursework. In my last 89 units, my GPA is 3.0. I was thinking of taking more biology and chemistry classes next year in an effort to raise my overall GPA, and especially my GPA in the last 90 units of coursework. Would taking these classes at a community college look bad and not help my chances of getting into a program, or would it make no difference where I take the classes?

I have a few days to decide whether or not to apply for graduation, so I need to make a decision soon. Aside from the money issue (and telling my grandma I'm not actually graduating this year) are there any other downsides to taking classes at my current school? I asked the registrar if I could enroll in classes after graduating and she said I couldn't, so this would be my only option for taking classes at a 4 year school.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the ability to graduate with a physics degree in June, and my undergraduate GPA will be around 2.7. I'm looking at various MPH programs to apply to, and most of them have a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0. Some of them however, say they look at the last 90 units (at a quarter system school) of coursework. In my last 89 units, my GPA is 3.0. I was thinking of taking more biology and chemistry classes next year in an effort to raise my overall GPA, and especially my GPA in the last 90 units of coursework. Would taking these classes at a community college look bad and not help my chances of getting into a program, or would it make no difference where I take the classes?

I have a few days to decide whether or not to apply for graduation, so I need to make a decision soon. Aside from the money issue (and telling my grandma I'm not actually graduating this year) are there any other downsides to taking classes at my current school? I asked the registrar if I could enroll in classes after graduating and she said I couldn't, so this would be my only option for taking classes at a 4 year school.

Hey there, no I don't think it would be a big deal if you took the classes at a community college but if you are able to take it a 4 year I would. I believe you registrar is incorrect about not being able to take classes after you graduate. As you can but you would have to re-enroll as a 2nd degree seeker. This is what I did so I could do a self driven post-bac. But you could just defer graduating it really isn't a big deal. Just tell your grandmother why I am sure she understands.

Best,
Cristina
Supermommd.org