6-8 week STEP 1 study schedule for P/F grading

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to create a 6-8 week schedule for dedicated to comfortably pass STEP 1 and reinforce a strong foundation for STEP 2.

For context, I go to a school which takes STEP 1 after clinicals and we get 8 weeks to study/test. I have been using UWorld STEP 2CK/Anking for shelves (will complete first pass by end of clerkships) and have scored above average on my shelves. I have not studied for STEP 1 but recently completed a practice CBSE and scored 66 (95% chance passing, “low pass” range).

I want to create a 6-8 week schedule that will reinforce a strong foundation (second pass of concepts from preclinical and fill in knowledge gaps/reinforce weaknesses), mostly so I can score highly on STEP 2. I also want to comfortably pass STEP 1. Any recommendations for general study schedules? I plan to complete UWorld STEP 1, unlock corresponding Anking cards, and review knowledge with BNB vs. Pathoma.

Members don't see this ad.

There is nothing special to creating a step 1 study plan. You named everything you should do which is complete UWORLD and watch pathoma. You can use BNB to refresh on specific topics but definitely don't try to rewatch all the videos.

Don’t rewatch all of anything just for completion. It might make you feel good to be able to say you watched all of BnB, sketchy & Pathoma, and did all of uworld and anki, but what you really did was waste a ton of time.

Use uworld to figure out what subjects you’re weak in, BnB & Pathoma to refresh that knowledge, and anki to reinforce your memory. Take a practice test regularly to assess if you’re improving and likely to pass. Keep it simple!

Reactions: 1 users
+1 to the above. Also recommend Sketchy for Micro/Pharm as-needed.
Something that may help longer-term retention and visualization of your weak points is annotating FirstAid. If you happen to see a page where something is highlighted, underlined, circled, with multiple arrows and written comments, that may be an indication that you should look a bit more carefully for that specific topic.