Taking Step 1 and 2 back to back after an 8 week dedicated for both? 1-year preclinical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an M2 at a 1 year preclinical program. We are given two 4-week “break” blocks intended for Step studying. Historically people took both at the same time to get an 8 week dedicated for Step 1. Now that it’s P/F, I’m not entirely sure how to do this.

I’ll be finishing up my core rotations in September. Then I get a 2 week summer break, followed by 2 weeks of a course called “transition to third year” which is somewhat involved but not super. Then I can take the time off for dedicated.

Would it be a bad idea to take both blocks off, take Step 1 in November and then Step 2 in December 2023? I would use the summer break and transition to third year weeks as additional study time for Step 1, though not as intensely as the actual dedicated time. It seems a bit too overwhelming… plus given the fact that Step 2 is very important now but I still don’t want to fail Step 1 obviously.

I’m worried that I’ll forget shelf material if I wait too long for Step 2. Plus if I delay Step 2, I’ll have to do at least 1 sub-I which won’t give me an easy rotation to combine with the 4 weeks off.

Shelf exams have been ok for me, honored most of the ones I’ve taken so far (still have peds and surgery though)

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be a bad idea to take both blocks off, take Step 1 in November and then Step 2 in December 2023? I would use the summer break and transition to third year weeks as additional study time for Step 1, though not as intensely as the actual dedicated time. It seems a bit too overwhelming… plus given the fact that Step 2 is very important now but I still don’t want to fail Step 1 obviously
Here is another strategy that is done at a one-year-preclinical school. Does seem a bit strange but it might work

Assuming your school is a traditional 4-year program... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS DOING IN YOUR MS3???!?!?!?