Feb 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it okay to take a 6-credit semester to take a few fun classes before graduation? I've already completed most of my degree requirements and can graduate this fall. HOWEVER, I'm thinking of taking a few classes that I like in the spring and postponing graduation to 2016. But then, I'll only take like 6 credits that semester, while working, because I don't have much money to spend.

Is this a red flag to adcoms?

I don't think it would be a problem, especially if you've taken a normal course load throughout college, and so long as you acquire you degree before matriculation.

OP
B
Feb 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think it would be a problem, especially if you've taken a normal course load throughout college, and so long as you acquire you degree before matriculation.
Yes I've taken 3 20+ credit hour semesters too, so hopefully, that will show adcoms I can handle full-courseloads!

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
But if you graduate in fall, you could get a job earning a ton of money and save a lot for med school.
*potentially*

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Are you applying during your last year of school or would you be applying during a gap year?

OP
B
Feb 18, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Are you applying during your last year of school or would you be applying during a gap year?
I am planning to apply next year for matriculation in 2017. I am senior, so yes, I'm taking a gap year.

Basically, I would finish degree req. in the fall and take those 6 fun credits in the spring before applying in June 2016. Alternatively, I could simply graduate in Fall 2015 and just take those 6 credits as a non-degree seeking student and then, apply. However, I'm worried that with this option, adcoms will wonder why I didn't just take those credits before graduation.

Which option would pose the least problem? If both have the potential to trigger a red flag, I won't do either and will just have to take a pass on those classes.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
No one really cares. Those classes and the grades you earn will go on your application. If you get all A's it might look like GPA padding, if you get less than A's you might be harming your GPA. All in all, given the amount of time a reader will spend on your application and what their priorities are, it is likely that they won't notice. They certainly won't be able to tell that you took these before or after graduation although maybe they will show up on the AMCAS application as "post-bac" if they are after the degree is awarded.

I won't worry about it either way.