6 credits vs. 8 credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TODDS2BE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a canadian applicant. I am a bit confused about the prerequisites. Every school requires 8 semester credits which is equivalent to one year of study. The school I attended offered only 6 semester credits for one year of academic study.
Therefore I only have
(1) 6 credits from Physics I and Physics II,
(2) 6 credits from General Chem I and II,
(3) and also from 6 credits from Organic Chem I and II.
So, I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and how was it handled.
I have to take another organic chem., physics and Gen. Chem. to fulfill the requirement.

Other than that I have 3.3 Overall, 3.37 Sci and 3.62 BCP and My DAT is 22/22/22.
What are my chances? I have applied to 10 private schools (BU, NYU, Tufts, UDM, Creighton, UOP, Columbia, Case etc.).
I would really appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Am I the only person who is experiencing this problem??? :(

Didn't you have Physics or Chem labs? That is how I got to eight credits. Maybe they are not a separate class in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
TODDS2BE said:
Am I the only person who is experiencing this problem??? :(

My prereq courses also were only 6 units. The schools I contacted said that so long as the courses included a lab and were the equivelent of one year it would be fine. The only school that had a problem with this was Indiana. I imagine that the 8 units requirement is a general rule. If you look at schools like Case, NYU and Creighton they specifically state that 6 units of prereqs is required. So I wouldn't worry about it, so long as your courses included a lab.

Yes, all of those courses include a lab with them, but there is no separate credit for the lab portion. So I guess I should be fine. Some school ask for 8 credits and some for 6 credits.
I was a bit confused because 6 credits = 1 year of study + Lab
for my school.

Thank you for asking this question because I was worried about the same thing. It seems like NYU says that every lab hour counts as half a credit hour. So if you had 3 hrs lecture and 4 hours lab, that's 5 credit hours (in one semester that is)

Audio said:
Thank you for asking this question because I was worried about the same thing. It seems like NYU says that every lab hour counts as half a credit hour. So if you had 3 hrs lecture and 4 hours lab, that's 5 credit hours (in one semester that is)

Yeah, but my problem is that my lab portion doesn't even show up on my transcript. Does it show up on ur transcripts that you have done the labs?