6 IIs, 4 attended, 2 WL, Dream school interview tomorrow...Last minute advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lurkerinneed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I've lurked before, but figured I should create an account to ask for some last minute advice. I thought my cycle was going exceptionally(/surprisingly) well with 6 IIs at a variety of schools with various stat ranges. I absolutely DETEST the US News rankings and believe that they are ridiculous and invalid, but for the sake of context, these schools range from "unranked" to ranked in the "top 25." I've gone to 4 interviews so far, all of which I have felt extremely positively about. I think I'm naturally pretty good at interviews, but I also prepared a lot and practiced extensively with friends and family. I've heard back from two schools, including my state school and received a waitlist at both. Now I'm worried that either 1) I'm screwing up the interviews or 2) there is something in my app that adcoms don't like. I have an interview at my absolute top choice tomorrow, and I'm wondering if I should try and preemptively address any potential weaknesses in the interview or if there is any other way to improve from my previous interviews. Here is an overiview of my app:

Nontrad (2.5 years out), caucasian, LGBTQ

3.54 cgpa, 3.61 sgpa (chemical engineering major)
38 MCAT: 13P/12B/13 V

ECs: Lots of leadership and community service (very important to me), laboratory research for one year at a biomedical supply company (no opportunity for publications since this took place in private industry), lived overseas for 6 months, 1.5 years working in government on development/implementation of health policies, hospital volunteering for ~8 months, ~25 hours of official shadowing but several in-depth projects in undergrad/through work that have required 100s of hours in hospitals and clinics

Potential weaknesses:
- LORs: I didn't know my science professors particularly well so I'm afriad these might be weak
- No publications or academic research
- Limited shadowing experience
- IA from sophomore year of college for skinny dipping on school grounds

Anyway, I'd appreciate any conjecture about how I can prevent another WL.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You've pretty much listed the potential weaknesses, but there isn't much that can be done about it. Maybe you can shadow some more and update the schools you are waitlisted at? Just put your best foot forward during the interviews; since you say you've practiced and attended 4 I assume you know how to do it by now. I'd be surprised if out of 6 IIs you couldn't net an acceptance.

Hilarious IA, but that may also be a reason for waitlist instead of acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude. It's still kinda early. I would say it's really the start of the second half through the admissions process. If you got an interview, the IA is a secondary issue IMO. You can say that you have matured since then.

Don't shadow unless you want to. You have great stats. Have fun and chill out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You've pretty much listed the potential weaknesses, but there isn't much that can be done about it. Maybe you can shadow some more and update the schools you are waitlisted at? Just put your best foot forward during the interviews; since you say you've practiced and attended 4 I assume you know how to do it by now. I'd be surprised if out of 6 IIs you couldn't net an acceptance.

Hilarious IA, but that may also be a reason for waitlist instead of acceptance.

Thanks for the encouragement! I will definitely consider updates as time goes on.

RE: IA - Right? Can't believe that has come back to haunt me... At least adcoms know I don't have any qualms about the human body.

You basically have my application with a higher MCAT and lower gpa. I too had limited clinical and shadowing experience, and zero research. I applied last cycle, received three interviews and was waitlisted at all three. I applied again this year (more strategically), added almost nothing to my application, received six interview invites, attended two, and was accepted at both.

You were only invited for interviews because on paper, i.e. all the things you listed above, you would be acceptable as a student. You'd have to be pretty unlucky (or a terrible interviewer) to get six interviews and zero acceptances.

The only thing you can do right now is start preparing for the worst and do a little bit more in the areas you feel can be improved.

EDIT: there is no way that IA is causing you big problems. I am really firmly of the belief that most adcoms are fairly normal people and understand that even hopeful medical students are human beings.

Reactions: 1 users