6 weeks in Pharmacy School, so frustrated!

Started by Twinsmom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Twinsmom

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OMG, Pharmacy School is much tougher than I thought! Previously I was thinking about schooling and working. After this whole week exams I feel exhausted. I only worked about one day per two weeks so far. The most frustrating thing is that I can't even make a B for Physiology. I can get everything else A or B but not this one! It's been two exams on Phys. so far. Now my score is just a little bit over C and I'm so worried!
Could anyone give some suggestions and encouragement? Thanks a lot!
🙁🙁🙁
 
Well it only gets harder....

Develop a good school/work/life balance plan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol I'm studying my butt off. I did the learning objectives when no one did it. I also made review questions for myself and attend community service. I went this and beyond, it's like studying for ochem again. I like this atmosphere it fits my personality.

And yes I touched the books...
 
PM me if you want.

Have you had time to talk to the professors to see what you should focus on when you're studying for exams?

Do you have close enough friends in the other classes that could give you advice?
 
I know plenty of 3.0 students who nail their cases and spin circles around rho chi peeps. sometimes grades don't correlate to how much you know. now sparda I dunno about :meanie:

I don't want to get too off-topic from this thread, but I'm curious..what GPA do most pharmacists graduate with?

I have a family friend who had a 4.0 during her first two years at the school I go to, then dropped down and graduated with a 3.0 4 years later. So maybe graduating ~3.0 is norm for a smart student..?
 
I'm also a P1 and am doing well in classes while working 3 days a week. I came from a background where I was working full time during undergrad to support my family. The best advice I can give you is time management. Don't sweat the tiny details of every class. Look at the big important concepts the professors are attempting to get across. If you are having trouble figuring those out, ask your classmates. If they are anything like mine, they will be more than happy to help. Also, remember that the professors are supposed to be your friends. Don't be afraid to ask them for tips on how to study for their classes, and what they think is important in the material.
 
OMG, Pharmacy School is much tougher than I thought! Previously I was thinking about schooling and working. After this whole week exams I feel exhausted. I only worked about one day per two weeks so far. The most frustrating thing is that I can't even make a B for Physiology. I can get everything else A or B but not this one! It's been two exams on Phys. so far. Now my score is just a little bit over C and I'm so worried!
Could anyone give some suggestions and encouragement? Thanks a lot!
🙁🙁🙁

Wait, so are you in a 0-6 where you're in year 1 or are you in your 3rd year (P1)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No patient will ever ask you what your GPA was before you treat them It is a meaningless piece of information. I didn't have the highest GPA in my class, not even close. I won the clinical award for performance on my rotations and when they gave the practice State Board Exam (No Naplex back then) I finished first and with the highest score. It's what you know that counts, not what grade you get. Unless you need to make grades to get into a residency, concentrate on learning the material and don't obsess over your grades.
 
No patient will ever ask you what your GPA was before you treat them It is a meaningless piece of information. I didn't have the highest GPA in my class, not even close. I won the clinical award for performance on my rotations and when they gave the practice State Board Exam (No Naplex back then) I finished first and with the highest score. It's what you know that counts, not what grade you get. Unless you need to make grades to get into a residency, concentrate on learning the material and don't obsess over your grades.

👍

If you're not planning on doing a residency, GPA won't matter at all especially if you already have a job in a pharmacy. It is my opinion that working in a pharmacy while in school is one of the most important things you can do. It gives you experience, networking, and real life experiences with the medications that you're studying. I wonder sometimes how my classmates who don't work in a pharmacy get through. If you don't deal with the drugs on a daily basis, pharmacy school becomes more about memorization and less about application. All that memorization leads to data dumping. Now, don't get me wrong, some people have the mental capacity to memorize all that information and do well on a test but really struggle when it's time to apply it. Learn how to succeed on tests without wasting too much time focusing on minute details that don't matter like others have said. In the long run, the experience you gain from working in a pharmacy will benefit you FAR more than a high GPA.
 
It's a bit overwhelming for me too but I'm surviving. Midterms next week so I'll see if my views change a bit. I don't think it's too hard, it's just really time consuming. Then again I'm in an accelerated program so it might be a little different from other programs.
 
I don't want to get too off-topic from this thread, but I'm curious..what GPA do most pharmacists graduate with?

I have a family friend who had a 4.0 during her first two years at the school I go to, then dropped down and graduated with a 3.0 4 years later. So maybe graduating ~3.0 is norm for a smart student..?

Well in my case, P2 year cut down my GPA a lot. Unfortunately for us, the Class of 2012 here at Touro gets only Pass/Fail grades for their rotations and don't reflect on the overall GPA. They changed the policy to grading rotations after we started and it applies only to Class of 2013 and beyond.

Sucks so badly, my GPA would be in the mid 3s right now because all my preceptors told me that they would have given me an A if the option was there.
 
Glad I'm not the only one. We're on a block schedule. Right now, we're in Biochem and it is no joke. Sitting in that for 4 hours every morning is mind-numbing.

But I also intern at CVS 10 hours a week (yes, that's right I did the dirty), Volunteer at a hospital HIV Clinic one afternoon a week, have two children and somehow manage to throw my husband some food every now and then.

Definitely don't have a 4.0, but I'm surviving. And I'm making sure to build a network. I don't think I'll be cozying up to Rho Chi, but I'm hoping to have a network built. And would love to capitalize on the hospital thing I got going on.

Time management is the golden ticket. Two nights a week I essentially do not sleep. No way around it. It's either lack of sleep, or lack of quality time with the kiddies. And the latter isn't an option for me.
 
OMG, Pharmacy School is much tougher than I thought! Previously I was thinking about schooling and working. After this whole week exams I feel exhausted. I only worked about one day per two weeks so far. The most frustrating thing is that I can't even make a B for Physiology. I can get everything else A or B but not this one! It's been two exams on Phys. so far. Now my score is just a little bit over C and I'm so worried!
Could anyone give some suggestions and encouragement? Thanks a lot!
🙁🙁🙁

Do you have a regular study group? 3 or 4 serious students working together can help each other a lot. Plus it is more fun.
 
I did fine on my Biochem. Got both As on the first two exams. I also finished my math module and got A within 5 weeks. I should finished that in 4 weeks but I missed two questions on one of the module and have to re-take that.
I didn't spend too much time on Pharmaceutics (few hours before tests) and got Bs so far.
My pre-requisite GPA is 4.0 and science GPA is 4.0
That's why I feel so frustrated because of this Physiology.
I was trying to work and I know the importance to keep the network. But I don't want to fail this course otherwise I have to re-take it in summer. I plan to work full-time in summer and do some volunteer job at hospital.
BTW, you can tell that I have two kids and don't have planty of time to study. So I really really need to find a more efficient way to study this course.
Thank you all for all the suggestions. But I won't take the quitting one for sure. 🙂


Glad I'm not the only one. We're on a block schedule. Right now, we're in Biochem and it is no joke. Sitting in that for 4 hours every morning is mind-numbing.

But I also intern at CVS 10 hours a week (yes, that's right I did the dirty), Volunteer at a hospital HIV Clinic one afternoon a week, have two children and somehow manage to throw my husband some food every now and then.

Definitely don't have a 4.0, but I'm surviving. And I'm making sure to build a network. I don't think I'll be cozying up to Rho Chi, but I'm hoping to have a network built. And would love to capitalize on the hospital thing I got going on.

Time management is the golden ticket. Two nights a week I essentially do not sleep. No way around it. It's either lack of sleep, or lack of quality time with the kiddies. And the latter isn't an option for me.
 
BTW, you can tell that I have two kids and don't have planty of time to study. So I really really need to find a more efficient way to study this course.
Thank you all for all the suggestions. But I won't take the quitting one for sure. 🙂

honestly, family will have to make some sacrifices. Your spouse or children may or may not understand right now, but life planning should be based on longer horizons.
 
Last edited:
Do you have any children?

Yes. I have a boy.

My parents were both in grad school, abroad and working during schoo when they were raising me. Many sacrifices were made, and they weren't there for me much of my childhood. Sure, I didn't understand the pain of my parents at the time, no kid would. I remember when my parents picking me up at the airport when i first landed in the US, my mom was hugging me and crying about how she wasnt a good mother. But now i know she is a great mother. My parents took a long term approach to building a successful family, and all the sacrifices paid off big time looking back now.
 
Last edited:
Yes. I have a boy.

My parents were both in grad school, abroad and working during schoo when they were raising me. Many sacrifices were made, and they weren't there for me much of my childhood. Sure, I didn't understand the pain of my parents at the time, no kid would. I remember when my parents picking me up at the airport when i first landed in the US, my mom was hugging me and crying about how she wasnt a good mother. But now i know she is a great mother. My parents took a long term approach to building a successful family, and all the sacrifices paid off big time looking back now.

I'm really glad that it worked out that way for you. It doesn't always. That's why I caution people about sacrificing family too much for professional gains. There are lots of things I would have done differently if I could go back, but there are no second chances in life.

To the OP, I think you can balance school and family. It just takes careful planning. You might have to give up on perfect grades, or joining lots of clubs, or working extra hours, or having a clean house or other things that don't really matter. And it takes a very supportive, understanding spouse. I think you can do it. Good luck!
 
yeah. the first year is easy. the rest suck. oh - and drop out.

Strongly disagree, after you find your study groove and know what it takes to get what grade, things will get much easier no doubt. 1st semester was by far the hardest for me until I found out the right way to study for each class. Hang in there bud... try listening to EDM when studying, my grades shot through the roof when I started listening to it
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Strongly disagree, after you find your study groove and know what it takes to get what grade, things will get much easier no doubt. 1st semester was by far the hardest for me until I found out the right way to study for each class. Hang in there bud... try listening to EDM when studying, my grades shot through the roof when I started listening to it
what is a EDM?
 
I'm really glad that it worked out that way for you. It doesn't always. That's why I caution people about sacrificing family too much for professional gains. There are lots of things I would have done differently if I could go back, but there are no second chances in life.

No trying hard doesn't always work out. But fail to try never works out.

All of us in the forum are young or at least no older than middle age. Planning at this stage in life should be based on a 50 year time horizon. If sacrifices for next 4 years is requires to make that 50 years a success, then it should be made. Not achieve success at this stage of our lives would be a complete failure. If I fail school due to my son, do you think that's good for my son? For my wife? For myself? Deserve the sacrifices my parents made?

If there will be any regrets, then let it be tampered by seeing your children growing up with all the doors to success open. The alternative of regretting whether their failure is due to your failure to provide would be infinitely worse. I can't imagine what pain my mother must have endure leaving me behind for 4+ years. Nor could I imagine how my father felt as he metered out harsh punishment. But as I grew up I came to understand, and would have made the same hard choices.

American families don't need to or even could take such measures, but sacrificing short-term to build a better future is still a better option than the other way around. You are right, there are no second chances in life.
 
I had a lot of trouble with biochem and physiology. I thought those classes were way harder than therapeutics or any of the practical stuff.


I think 90-95% of my class feels the same way about biochem. Our professor is notorious for being difficult.

It seems like majority of P2s at my school hate cardio therapeutics. Is it that hard? I've heard a lot of complaints about that course and PK.
 
I think 90-95% of my class feels the same way about biochem. Our professor is notorious for being difficult.

It seems like majority of P2s at my school hate cardio therapeutics. Is it that hard? I've heard a lot of complaints about that course and PK.

I had a great prof for some portions of my cardio therapeutics. I think that makes the difference. I know those better than the others and that's all I will say! 😀
 
No trying hard doesn't always work out. But fail to try never works out.

All of us in the forum are young or at least no older than middle age. Planning at this stage in life should be based on a 50 year time horizon. If sacrifices for next 4 years is requires to make that 50 years a success, then it should be made. Not achieve success at this stage of our lives would be a complete failure. If I fail school due to my son, do you think that's good for my son? For my wife? For myself? Deserve the sacrifices my parents made?

If there will be any regrets, then let it be tampered by seeing your children growing up with all the doors to success open. The alternative of regretting whether their failure is due to your failure to provide would be infinitely worse. I can't imagine what pain my mother must have endure leaving me behind for 4+ years. Nor could I imagine how my father felt as he metered out harsh punishment. But as I grew up I came to understand, and would have made the same hard choices.

American families don't need to or even could take such measures, but sacrificing short-term to build a better future is still a better option than the other way around. You are right, there are no second chances in life.

Well, I won't be seeing one of my children grow up at all. She died after my P2 year. I regret every minute I sacrificed for school and I would definitely do things differently if I had a do-over. I gave up what amounted to half of her very short life, and I would not do that again. I refuse to make the same kind of sacrifices with my newborn son. My family comes first.

I know that this is a cultural difference, but I cannot even fathom sending my child to live somewhere else so I could go to school. I know many people who have, but they aren't of my culture. I can't criticize their choice, but I could never do that.

Anyway. I disagree that it's even necessary to require enormous sacrifices from one's spouse or children. Pharmacy school is doable with good time management.
 
Well, I won't be seeing one of my children grow up at all. She died after my P2 year. I regret every minute I sacrificed for school and I would definitely do things differently if I had a do-over. I gave up what amounted to half of her very short life, and I would not do that again. I refuse to make the same kind of sacrifices with my newborn son. My family comes first.

That's your choice. But I must point out that child mortality in this country is extremely low. Sacrificing 99.9% of a long future for immediate return that may pay off in 0.1% of the population is just... not logical planning for the vast majority of the people.

I know that this is a cultural difference, but I cannot even fathom sending my child to live somewhere else so I could go to school.

This we can agree on. Asian value system laud sacrifices to secure a better future (through education) for the next generation, can even so extreme as martyrdom. This is how Asians in this country went from the most destitute be the wealthiest racial group by far. Once upon a time many of the immigrants from all over the world came to US with the same spirit and determination. They made this country strong once, but as that is replaced by entitlement this country weakens.

Anyway. I disagree that it's even necessary to require enormous sacrifices from one's spouse or children. Pharmacy school is doable with good time management.

I never said enormous sacrifices were necessary. I said some will be required, even with good time management, because work/study won't end at 9-5, and budget will be tight. Focus on the goal of finishing school and building that future. Your kids will thank you and make you proud someday.
 
Last edited:
I think 90-95% of my class feels the same way about biochem. Our professor is notorious for being difficult.

It seems like majority of P2s at my school hate cardio therapeutics. Is it that hard? I've heard a lot of complaints about that course and PK.

Because they don't really understand the material, and don't only focus on grades rather than what they learned.

Too many students got into pharmacy school because they were good memorizer/regurgitater. They don't understand stuff, just cram and spit it back up. That works great for undergrad, but in therapeutics and especially PK, that doesn't work. These classes separate those who "get it" from those that don't.
 
That's your choice. But I must point out that child mortality in this country is extremely low. Sacrificing 99.9% of a long future for immediate return that may pay off in 0.1% of the population is just... not logical planning for the vast majority of the people.

This we can agree on. Asian value system laud sacrifices to secure a better future (through education) for the next generation, can even so extreme as martyrdom. This is how Asians in this country went from the most destitute be the wealthiest racial group by far. Once upon a time many of the immigrants from all over the world came to US with the same spirit and determination. They made this country strong once, but as that is replaced by entitlement this country weakens.

I never said enormous sacrifices were necessary. I said some will be required, even with good time management, because work/study won't end at 9-5, and budget will be tight. Focus on the goal of finishing school and building that future. Your kids will thank you and make you proud someday.

Eh, not worth continuing to debate. You're never wrong and refuse to see any viewpoint that doesn't match your own. I just think (know) that "Asian value system" isn't applicable or workable for the majority of non-Asian families in this country. And that's fine, because it isn't the only way to succeed.
 
Eh, not worth continuing to debate. You're never wrong and refuse to see any viewpoint that doesn't match your own. I just think (know) that "Asian value system" isn't applicable or workable for the majority of non-Asian families in this country. And that's fine, because it isn't the only way to succeed.

Lol, you debate the exact same way, kettle calling tea pot black. :laugh:
 
Lol, you debate the exact same way, kettle calling tea pot black. :laugh:

No, I share my experiences and everyone knows my opinions are my opinion. You share yours as fact and never hesitate to tell us why your way is better and your "Asian" values are superior. I think some elements of "Asian family values" are odd, like sending a young child far away to live with relatives for years. But if that's what people want to do... :shrug: I'll keep my kids with me because they are only little once and life is too precious (and fragile) to miss out on big parts of it.

And you totally butchered that pot/kettle expression. :laugh::laugh:
 
No, I share my experiences and everyone knows my opinions are my opinion. You share yours as fact and never hesitate to tell us why your way is better and your "Asian" values are superior. I think some elements of "Asian family values" are odd, like sending a young child far away to live with relatives for years. But if that's what people want to do... :shrug: I'll keep my kids with me because they are only little once and life is too precious (and fragile) to miss out on big parts of it.

And you totally butchered that pot/kettle expression. :laugh::laugh:

LOL, so when you do it, it's called "sharing your experience" instead... and when i do it with my own experience, it's called passing as facts. You are funny. I never insisted any one else do it the asian way, but just like you, I'm "sharing my experience".

Please, don't try to put words in my mouth and trying to spin it as if I'm saying something else.

:laugh: :laugh:

P.S I love botching expressions, it lightens the mood. 😛
 
OMG, Pharmacy School is much tougher than I thought! Previously I was thinking about schooling and working. After this whole week exams I feel exhausted. I only worked about one day per two weeks so far. The most frustrating thing is that I can't even make a B for Physiology. I can get everything else A or B but not this one! It's been two exams on Phys. so far. Now my score is just a little bit over C and I'm so worried!
Could anyone give some suggestions and encouragement? Thanks a lot!
🙁🙁🙁

Two words. Spaced Repetition. And Anki.

Ok, make that four words. Read about it here.

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-05/ff_wozniak?currentPage=all

http://workawesome.com/productivity/accentuate-your-learning-curve-with-spaced-repetition/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I won't be seeing one of my children grow up at all. She died after my P2 year. I regret every minute I sacrificed for school and I would definitely do things differently if I had a do-over. I gave up what amounted to half of her very short life, and I would not do that again. I refuse to make the same kind of sacrifices with my newborn son. My family comes first.

I know that this is a cultural difference, but I cannot even fathom sending my child to live somewhere else so I could go to school. I know many people who have, but they aren't of my culture. I can't criticize their choice, but I could never do that.

Anyway. I disagree that it's even necessary to require enormous sacrifices from one's spouse or children. Pharmacy school is doable with good time management.


👍

Im the same way. My husband was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma a week into my 2PD year. I had already had the mindset that Family > School but that whole fiasco kind of put my beliefs up to the test. Did a lot of reading in a hospital chair while he was recovering from intrathecal chemo recovery not to mention straight up going out at night with him when I had exams the next day.

That being said, I got 102/104 on my Oncology Pharmacology exam. :laugh:
 
👍



That being said, I got 102/104 on my Oncology Pharmacology exam. :laugh:

+1

To the OP, I think we all have balance what we have to do and it works. Aim for a 100 in everything, but at the end of the day, if you learned and get a B or even like a C, in one class, it won't kill any of us regardless of what our overachiever nature screams. I am much younger and am not married/don't have kids, but I do have a lot to balance in my opinion: 21 credits (19 school credits + 2 research credits= 6 hours per week) Plus I work most Saturdays for 9 hours at CVS Plus I serve in my church once a week plus i participate with 2 professional organizations. It gets frustrating at times, especially because i am so paranoid about grades, but all you can really do is your best. No one can ask you for more.

If it makes you feel any better, there is a non-traditional student I know who works full time 7pm-7 am and then comes straight to school.

It's tough, but we'll get through it! Best of luck to you!!!! 🙂