6 WL??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RRabbit

Reaction score
All of my interviews turned into WLs šŸ˜‚ should I send a LOI to one school, and start prepping for reapp? Not sure my bank acc can handle this, but I guess thereā€™s not much else I can do šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļøAny tips/advice would be much appreciated. For reference, CA ORM, high stats, lots of research exp, lacking in clinical exp (planning to spend the next year filling that gap)

Members don't see this ad.

If you had 6 interviews, then it means your app had no red flags and you're a pretty competitive applicant. But for all of them to be waitlists means you need to put some serious muscle into interview practice. If any of your schools that you interviewed at gives feedback, definitely reach out and see if they could tell you where some of your interview weaknesses are. Practice, practice, and practice is key! IDK if you had MMIs or traditional interviews, but practicing both is important. Finding a mentor to practice with or maybe current medical students may help.

I suppose sending LOIs won't hurt though. If none of your WLs turn to As (I'm knocking on wood for you), then rewriting your essays and getting more clinical experience is good, but definitely working on interview skills is a must.

Reactions: 1 users
All of my interviews turned into WLs šŸ˜‚ should I send a LOI to one school, and start prepping for reapp? Not sure my bank acc can handle this, but I guess thereā€™s not much else I can do šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļøAny tips/advice would be much appreciated. For reference, CA ORM, high stats, lots of research exp, lacking in clinical exp (planning to spend the next year filling that gap)
1) Be patient

2) While some may find this fact harsh, you're rejected until you get that accept email in your Inbox, so you should always be working on Plan B.

3) LOIs are treated as lies by most Admissions Deans. If you are on the WL for a needy school like Jefferson or Mayo, then go ahead and send one. Otherwise, who would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate candidate?

4) Work on interview skills

5) Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them

6) lacking in clinical exp (planning to spend the next year filling that gap) This is why #2 especially applies to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had 6 interviews, then it means your app had no red flags and you're a pretty competitive applicant. But for all of them to be waitlists means you need to put some serious muscle into interview practice. If any of your schools that you interviewed at gives feedback, definitely reach out and see if they could tell you where some of your interview weaknesses are. Practice, practice, and practice is key! IDK if you had MMIs or traditional interviews, but practicing both is important. Finding a mentor to practice with or maybe current medical students may help.

I suppose sending LOIs won't hurt though. If none of your WLs turn to As (I'm knocking on wood for you), then rewriting your essays and getting more clinical experience is good, but definitely working on interview skills is a must.

If most of opā€™s schools were top20s, just because all his interviews turned into waitlists doesnā€™t mean that heā€™s a weak interviewer (esp since he didnā€™t get rejected). It could just be that the competition pool was too rough and he was average in that pool but not strong enough to make it into initial As. I interviewed at 5 top 10s and 5 top 20s. Got into 1 top 10 and 1 top 20 and waitlisted almost everywhere else. Sometimes luck plays a role too.

Reactions: 1 user
If most of opā€™s schools were top20s, just because all his interviews turned into waitlists doesnā€™t mean that heā€™s a weak interviewer (esp since he didnā€™t get rejected). It could just be that the competition pool was too rough and he was average in that pool but not strong enough to make it into initial As. I interviewed at 5 top 10s and 5 top 20s. Got into 1 top 10 and 1 top 20 and waitlisted almost everywhere else. Sometimes luck plays a role too.
Thanks for sharing your input and your experience!! Iā€™m not sure which schools are considered t10, but 4 of my WLs are indeed t20.

I'm sure one of those will turn into an A, just be patient. Movement occurs mostly when the enrollment deadline approaches.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Seconding that T20/10 interviews are incredibly hard to turn into acceptances. I interviewed at 3 T10s and 2 T20s and have only gotten accepted at one T20 school so far. If it werenā€™t for my mid-tier and in-state acceptances, I would be seriously doubting my interview skills. However, chances are that itā€™s just those top schools are extremely competitive even after you get to the interview stage.
Hang in there.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
True, good point, especially with so many more applications to each school this year, the numbers were not favorable this year. But it's still wise to brush up on interview skills as Goro also seconded. I do think with 6 WLs, one is bound to turn into an A, fingers crossed! Hopefully we see lots of WL movement >.<