1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

6 year pharm.D - PCATS?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ThatKidMike, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

If you go into a 6 year Pharm.D straight out of high school, a 0-6 program, do you have to take the PCAT? I always thought you didn't have to take PCAT, that you just had to keep a minimum gpa.

However, my friend told me that you must pass PCATs to become a licensed pharmacist in most states. Is there any truth to this? I thought you only had to pass the state exams!!?!?!?

Also, want to ask is this below true?

B.A. Pharm=R.Ph
    Pharm.D Pharm=L.Ph

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Darvocet

Darvocet Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    it depends on the 0-6 program. some will make you take a PCAT but will accept you to the professional phase regardless of what you get. some will make you take the PCAT and score above a certain limit and others will not make you take the PCAT and all.

and,

both BS. Pharm and Pharm D. are R.Ph

4. ThatKidMike

ThatKidMike Member
    2+ Year Member

Ok, so you don't need to do PCAT to become licensed to work as a pharmacist in a state? yay! :thumbup:

5. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No, but you need to take the NAPLEX.

6. pharmwannebe2

pharmwannebe2 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    some 0+6 year schools make you take the pcats and score something in order to get into the professional years. but it usually isn't that bad.

your friend is crazy. you have to pass NAPLEX

7. DUQPharm2010

DUQPharm2010 New Member

Pharmacy Student
    I am in a 0-6 Pharm.D. program and I didn't have to take the PCAT. I am not sure if this is true for all schools but I know that a lot of schools with 0-6 programs do not require a PCAT. Your best bet is to just call the schools you are interested in and ask about their policy.

Also, take the minimum GPA business seriously. After my first year, my pharmacy class was shaved down pretty significantly.

8. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    After this year, I'm guessing you are going into your soph year, you are going to lose more...Organic Chemistry