6-year Pharm programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a list of colleges that have the 6-yr Pharmacy program where you can directly apply to right after high school? I know Ohio Northern is, but what are the others? Thanks very much!

EDIT: Another question -- what about Pharmacy schools that are a little bit easier to get into than others? Or those that don't require interviews (if even any?) TY.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know a list of colleges that have the 6-yr Pharmacy program where you can directly apply to right after high school? I know Ohio Northern is, but what are the others? Thanks very much!

EDIT: Another question -- what about Pharmacy schools that are a little bit easier to get into than others? Or those that don't require interviews (if even any?) TY.

Look at the AACP website to see lengths of programs. I think there's about 5 or 7 of them. Most of them are in the North and East if I remember correctly.

And there's maybe one pharmacy school that doesn't require interviews.

I have a question for you? Do you really want to go to the easiest pharmacy school to get into? Yes, you'll probably get paid exactly the same, and if that's what you're after, that's cool, but wouldn't you want to be the best pharmacist you could? If not for your patients, for you?

Lol. My logic may not be that great...I'm implying that easiness of getting in=lower ranking of pharmacy school. That's quite a generalization. :oops:

Just something to think about.

aacp.org

Other 0-6's include:

University of Findaly
Butler (kindof-still have to go through the formality after the 2nd year))
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
Northeastern University
University of Rhode Island
Mass College of Pharmacy
Albany College of Pharmacy
Univ of MS
...those are a few I can think of right out of HS

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! =) I appreciate it very much. Findlay is probably the closest to my place.

I have a question for you? Do you really want to go to the easiest pharmacy school to get into? Yes, you'll probably get paid exactly the same, and if that's what you're after, that's cool, but wouldn't you want to be the best pharmacist you could? If not for your patients, for you?
Yes, I agree with you most definitely! That's the reason why I aspire to become a pharmacist is for the people. I was just wondering, just in case I don't get accepted to the Pharm schools that I'm applying to because kinda shy and I'm not good at all with interviews.

- By the way, for the longest time, Oregon State was my first choice, but changed my mind because it's too far away. I would LOVE to go there still though.

Thanks again!

I go to school in Boston and i entered thru a 6 year program, so i'll discuss pros cons.

NU pros:
Actually has a campus, more financial aid, better dorms/upperclass housing, less transfers, and if you're good enough can actually get a full ride thru pharmacy school. Co-op is awesome (ask some people around here whether they had to shadow an RPh/do work for free), and you actually get to pick where you want to work for 4 months at a time. Advisors actually do things.

NU cons:
Red tape, same classes with the same people in the same room for 3 years, classes are only offered at certain times so if you fail a class you have to wait a year to retake.

MCP pros:
Since it's a whole school dedicated to pharmacy (more or less), I feel it's a more professional enviroment, especially with the transfers. Not that this says much, but a lot of the upper level admins at my hospital are MCP alums, and pharmacy is a really small world.

MCP cons:
Bad professors/admin (but this changes frequently) , simulated pharmacy labs, bigger classes, school doesnt help with getting a part time job as an intern, etc

If it wasn't blatantly apparent, I go to NU. No interviews, and since there aren't as many transfers, a lot of the kids are boozeaholics with not that much professionalism. However, pharmacy school is what you make of it...

st. louis college of pharmacy has a 6 yr right out of high school prgrm

i know of other schools like

University of Toledo in Ohio

Long Island University in NY

St Johns in NY

LIU in NY is not 0-6 Program, they only have early assurance.

School that has 0-6 Program
• Albany College of Pharmacy • Duquesne University • Florida A&M University • Hampton University • Massachusetts- Boston • Northeastern University • Ohio Northern University • Philadelphia College of Pharmacy • Rutgers University • St. John's University • St. Louis College of Pharmacy • University of Mississippi • University of Rhode Island • University of Texas at Austin

School that has Early Assurance
• Southern California • Nova Southeastern • Palm Beach Atlantic • Midwestern-Chicago • Illinois- Chicago • Butler • Drake • Massachusetts- Boston • Michigan • Mississippi • Nebraska • Rutgers • A&M Schwarz • Buffalo • Albany • Ohio State • Toledo • Oregon State • Philadelphia • Temple • Pittsburgh • Houston • Incarnate Word • Shenandoah • Virginia Commonwealth University • West Virginia • Charleston

so if i school is 0-6, it's nearly impossible to get in if you do your pre-reqs elsewhere, right? or do they keep some slots open for 'transfers'?

isent the whole thing going to take 6 years anyways?? 2years of reg. college and 4 of pharm. school right?

Im not sure about other schools, but I know that St John's University in NYC has a 0-6 where you enter straight out of HS and are automatically a Pharmacy student. In regards to getting in after pre-reqs, the faculty there said the chances were slim to none, since it all depends upon whether or not some of their students leave or drop out of the program.

Another type is an Automatic Advancement program, which is what we have here at Butler. It isnt exactly a 0-6 but it is as close as you get. You enter as a Pre-pharm student, with a pharmacy advisor, and complete all the classes Butler wants you to have completed, along with all the University Core in the first two years. Then you are reevaluated during 2nd semester Sophomore, and as long as you maintain a high GPA in the core ten and have a 55, i think, on the PCAT, you automatically advance in the program. I dont know the exact number of students that automatically advance, but it is a large percentage. They work with you to move on.

Good luck!

isent the whole thing going to take 6 years anyways?? 2years of reg. college and 4 of pharm. school right?

But as long as you do alright aren't you guaranteed to go to their pharmacy school? I have a friend who goes to FAMU pharm school with virtually all C's in his prereq's and no clubs/experience. If you do 2 yrs of reg. college you're not guaranteed to get accepted into a pharm school like you would be if you were in a 6 yr program....i think?