6 Year Programs in Europe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tractarian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seeking to enter a 6 year English-language program in Europe that has a track record of having their American students match into good rotations and residency programs in the states. A program that does include USMLE preparation would be nice, in addition to one that doesn't break the bank. I am aware that many Americans have went to Bologna for medical school; does anyone know more about this program? I would like to make this happen within a year or two, and am seeking the proper guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am seeking to enter a 6 year English-language program in Europe that has a track record of having their American students match into good rotations and residency programs in the states. A program that does include USMLE preparation would be nice, in addition to one that doesn't break the bank. I am aware that many Americans have went to Bologna for medical school; does anyone know more about this program? I would like to make this happen within a year or two, and am seeking the proper guidance.
Tractarian hi,

I suggest West European schools in quality, if you have their native language. They are free(or very low in cost), besides.

But if you prefer an East European school, among them Jagiellonian/Poland, Semmelweis/Hungary and Charles 1st Faculty/Czech Republic are known as the bests. I have a summary of some of them: http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/ (there is a next page)

By the way if you send your e-mail I can send you the list of the recent 6 and 4 year graduates' contact info.

If I were you, I would look into Polish and Hungarian schools. Hungary has KAPLAN prep branch so that will certainly be more useful (ie. if you plan on getting back to the US.)

May I ask why aren't you considering a 4 year medical program instead? They cater specifically to American students and allow them to do most of their rotations back in the States.

Croatia also has some good schools and they're worth looking into.

Members don't see this ad :)
...If I were you, I would look into Polish and Hungarian schools. Hungary has KAPLAN prep branch so that will certainly be more useful (ie. if you plan on getting back to the US.)...

Shreypete hi, you're right, but as far as I could see, its only in Debrecen and the course takes only 7 weeks. Is it a make-up to make the school look better and make it more attractive, or does it really work, I cant see.. hmm?
I have one another question: I took some of SAT subject tests, and prepare for some others as well now. I used Princeton Review, Kaplan and Barron's all.. Kaplan, as many says as well, is not that realistic in SAT preperation. May it be different and better in USMLE prep. courses and books?
http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/2011/09/debrecen-hungary.html

...Croatia also has some good schools and they're worth looking into...
I dont know the quality of the med schools in Croatia but they dont have California Medical Board approval, which means the graduates of those schools cant get licence in California, and some other states following CMB approval:
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

But this is another point to discuss: For instance in my country there are such schools that simply didnt applied for and get the approval of California Medical Board approval; but regarding only my own observations much better than many E-EU med schools' in clinical training and organization. So how Croatia is by that respect, I wonder.

Tractarian hi,

I suggest West European schools in quality, if you have their native language. They are free(or very low in cost), besides.

But if you prefer an East European school, among them Jagiellonian/Poland, Semmelweis/Hungary and Charles 1st Faculty/Czech Republic are known as the bests. I have a summary of some of them: http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/ (there is a next page)

By the way if you send your e-mail I can send you the list of the recent 6 and 4 year graduates' contact info.
Do you know if their reputation/quality for dentistry is just as good?

Dentistto, I really dont know. Sometimes one schools takes a step forward in medicine, but not in dentistry that much, vice versa, sometimes they get better in quality in dentistry, but not in medicine that much. So I cant say a word about it.

Shreypete hi, you're right, but as far as I could see, its only in Debrecen and the course takes only 7 weeks. Is it a make-up to make the school look better and make it more attractive, or does it really work, I cant see.. hmm?
I have one another question: I took some of SAT subject tests, and prepare for some others as well now. I used Princeton Review, Kaplan and Barron's all.. Kaplan, as many says as well, is not that realistic in SAT preperation. May it be different and better in USMLE prep. courses and books?
http://medical-schools.blogspot.com/2011/09/debrecen-hungary.html

Well Kaplan does offer some quality materials in preparing for the MLE. For example, the Kaplan Q book is pretty awesome (hard but pretty awesome) and is the second/third most commonly Q books used by students from all over (the first is UsmleWorld.)

I dont know the quality of the med schools in Croatia but they dont have California Medical Board approval, which means the graduates of those schools cant get licence in California, and some other states following CMB approval:
http://www.mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html

From what I've heard, Croatia has been doing quite well (both in terms of going up the rankings in Europe as well as churning out some good graduates who are returning "back" to the US.) I'm referring to the 4 year medical program offered at Zagreb but I've heard that the 6 year programs are also good. The fact that Croatia will soon be joining the EU makes things that much better.

But this is another point to discuss: For instance in my country there are such schools that simply didnt applied for and get the approval of California Medical Board approval; but regarding only my own observations much better than many E-EU med schools' in clinical training and organization. So how Croatia is by that respect, I wonder.

It was the same with my faculty, but we all owe it to a student (who is a doctor now) who took the pain to apply for CA recognition. Getting CA accredited takes a lot of time and money and European schools are usually not concerned with getting CA accreditation (unless they want more students from there and cater to them.)

...It was the same with my faculty, but we all owe it to a student (who is a doctor now) who took the pain to apply for CA recognition. Getting CA accredited takes a lot of time and money and European schools are usually not concerned with getting CA accreditation (unless they want more students from there and cater to them.)...

Thank you for all the answer, but this part is especially important. So it is possible to start and develop this CA approval process by a student? I would love to get in contact with him; is it possible shreypete? I dont wait for you to have a special effort about it, but maybe its enough to know his name, school, country.. such things, and if he uses social media I can find him, of course if this is convenient for you and him.

He was actually a representative of the First Faculty back in the days and he's also offered a few seminars over the past few years regarding students willing to move to the US and more about the USMLEs. He's currently a certified Obstetrics/Gynecologist in Virginia (but is originally from California) and I believe he was one of the top students in his class back int he day. His name is Dr. Neil Correia but I don't think you can get in touch with him anymore as he doesn't use any public medical networking sites to my knowledge.

I don't think it is possible for a student to apply for CA approval unless the student is a certified representative of his/her medical faculty and has the authority to moderate such matters with American medical boards. It is very time consuming and requires one to visit to the US frequently (often on one's own funds) and the paperwork can take tons of years (anywhere from 3-5) depending on whether the school is well recognized internationally and especially within the US.