6 Year Programs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Patel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For Pharmacy there are 6-year programs. Somewhere on the Web I read there is a such thing for Medical too (I know you can't believe everything you read). So is this really possible or just a bunch of crap?? If it is true, what schools offer this???

Members don't see this ad.

Dallenoff said:
They're usually ultra-selective BA/MD or BS/MD programs offered to high school seniors. What year are you?

Right now I am a Junior. I am guessing you need super high school grades to get into these right?? (My grades are decent- GPA is about 3.7 but ).

Members don't see this ad :)
My bro is in the 6 yr BA/MD program with Penn State and Jefferson
UMKC also has a 6 yr program I believe

You need to nail the SAT/ACT (my brother had a 35 on the ACT). There's also an interview you need to take care of.

I believe the University of Miami and the University of Florida both have six year programs.

NEOUCOM in Rootstown, Ohio has a direct entry from high school program.

MUO has some sort of program too, but it is guaranteed acceptance after completing your BS/BA. Not 6 years as far as I know, things are always changing, y'know.

Mr.Patel said:
For Pharmacy there are 6-year programs. Somewhere on the Web I read there is a such thing for Medical too (I know you can't believe everything you read). So is this really possible or just a bunch of crap?? If it is true, what schools offer this???

When I read the post, I didnt think BA/MD, but instead about University of Minnesota---they have a program that allows you to enroll in medical school for 3.5 - 6 years. This allows people who decide to have children, study abroad, etc... to have an opportunity to take time from professional school to do those things. Or, of course, you could speed the process up a term. It's an interesting concept-----

Wow thank you very much for your help people. Now time to talk to the Guidance Counsler and ruin her life.

Also one more thing...Do you guys think it would be a good idea to do this 6year program (I am scared to just get out of high school and die studing like crazy).

Mr.Patel said:
Wow thank you very much for your help people. Now time to talk to the Guidance Counsler and ruin her life.

Also one more thing...Do you guys think it would be a good idea to do this 6year program (I am scared to just get out of high school and die studing like crazy).
I got into the Penn State/Jefferson BS/MD program, but decided not to go. I applied because it was appealing to me that it was a shorter path and took a lot of the worry out the admissions process. I ended up choosing not to do the program because the advice I got from several doctors was that there was no rush and that I should use college to build a solid base of knowledge and to mature and gain life experience. My interviewer at Jefferson even said the program was looked down upon because a lot of kids were pushed into it by their parents and that taking a shortcut through the process could only be detrimental (this is only one person though). Something about it just didn't feel right, so I turned down the offer. That said, maybe it's right for you. If you're interested there are definitely a few things you need to think about though. 1) Your course schedule will be pretty regimented (basically gen ed and med school prereqs), and you might have only 2 electives in college; 2) It will most likely involve summer school (at PSU, both the summer before you would normally begin college and the summer b/w years one and two); 3) there is always minimum MCAT and college GPA required to actually matriculate to med school, and often they are high enough to get you into med school anyway (i.e. it's not a true guarantee, you'll still have to meet certain criteria); 4) You'll be 2 years younger than everyone else when you start medical school; and 5) You'll be missing out on 2 years of college life, and I think the importance of this should not be understated. Also, you should really think about how equipped you are, as a senior in high school applying to these programs, to make a career decision. I'm not saying that to discourage you, only to get you to really think about it. A better option might be a non-accelerated guaranteed med school admission program. I know that Pitt, Brown, and U. of Rochester have guaranteed med school admission programs where you do 4 yrs college, 4 yrs med school, so it's not any faster but you have that "guaranteed" admission (I think at Pitt you need to have a 3.7 GPA and 30 MCAT to matriculate). The advantages of these programs are that you have the guaranteed admission if you meet the minimum requirements and that you don't sacrifice the college experience. I think these programs also provide special experiences to students to enrich their experiences, but I don't know too much about this.

Recently interviewed a 2004 grad from Howard's 6-year BS/MD program. I assume it still exists.

prefontaine said:
Recently interviewed a 2004 grad from Howard's 6-year BS/MD program. I assume it still exists.
Someone I know did a 6-year program at University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, but that was at least a decade ago.

I have a relative in the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute/Albany Medical College 7-year program though.

I know someone in UMKC's 6-yr program, and she actually encouraged me to apply. She has time to travel and has been to fiji, new zealand, england, philadelphia, and probably others too since she started the program. I kinda think it would be cool to be 2 years younger with an MD.

Now hypothetically: say you didn't enroll in a 6-yr BA/MD, and went to a 4-yr college like everyone else instead. While you're building up EC's and good grades you're gonna be super busy anyways, so the only free-time advantage that college holds over the 6-yr program is the summers, which you'll spend researching or shadowing or working for maybe 2 of the 4 years of college anyway. Maybe look at the money you'll save at a 6-yr --- it might be cheaper, unless you go to a community college. And the 2 years you save not going to school are two years you could spend working to pay off that debt. I say go for it dude, and i wish you luck (since it's so competitive). :thumbup:

-Northwestern University has a 7 year program called HPME (honors program in medical education).
-Brown University has a 7 year program call PLME (program in liberal medical education).
-Boston University I think has one.
-There are more than this, but it's all I remember.

These programs award a BA/BS degree and provide automatic acceptance into medical school assuming you maintain a 3.0 undergraduate GPA.

Northwestern also grants the top pre-Med undergraduate students automatic acceptance into the medical school after the completion of their degree, generally 4 years.

All these programs seem like a good deal to me. I know people who went through the Northwestern program, and it worked out well.

USC has an 8 year, guaranteed medical program. no sacrifice to the college experience (and trust me, you get one hell of an experience going to 'SC), non-binding agreement with Keck USC, and minimum of a 9 in each section on the MCAT and 3.3 GPA to marticulate into Keck.

w00t