6 years undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candleburn001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I just found out this site last week and i want to thank all the members here first that has putted the time to answer questions to confused predents.
My situation probably are different from other people:
I came here when i was 17 years old. Take 3 years of community college, along those 3 years i have to take ESL classes and pre-math class, so that's why i did not transfer in 2 years.
My GPA for cc is 3.7
After 3 years, i transfered to UCLA. I studied my tail off in almost 3 years and only got 3.40.
So my question is:
I complete my undergrad in almost 6 years, is it a turn off to go to dental school? Should i explain in my ps the reason is my English and i have to take tons of ESL classes.
Going from 3.7 in cc to 3.4 in UCLA, do you guys think that the committe will considered i am dumb?
I also doing 1.5 year research and shadowing for 60 hours and mentoring.
Am i competitive enought to apply this cycle?
Should i consider master?
Please be honest with me

Members don't see this ad.

1. I complete my undergrad in almost 6 years, is it a turn off to go to dental school?
2. Should i explain in my ps the reason is my English and i have to take tons of ESL classes.
3. Going from 3.7 in cc to 3.4 in UCLA, do you guys think that the committe will considered i am dumb?
4. I also doing 1.5 year research and shadowing for 60 hours and mentoring.
Am i competitive enought to apply this cycle?
5. Should i consider master?

Hello, my bruin friend. I'm being super honest, so don't think I'm just encouraging you.

1. No. Many students transfer after 3 years. And many students spend almost 5 years to graduate even though they entered the university as freshmen.

2. You may mention it. PS is mainly for why you want to become a dentist.

3. No. 3.4 at UCLA is better than 4.0 at some other 4 yr universities. But, I won't give you the names because some people can be offended.

4. It depends on your DAT score. If you have 20+ on DAT, you will most likely get in somewhere. If you have 18~19, you may have chance.

5. No. You have 3.4 GPA which is about average.

I don't think it should hurt you. I would possibly consider mentioning your situation in your personal statement (please get it proofread by an English professor). That GPA is pretty good (I think your science GPA is more important though). Being a UCLA grad couldn't hurt. Of course they also know UCLA is tougher than community college.
I would recommend observing in a dental office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took just as long to complete my undergrad and I got in. I even had a couple of years that I took off during my undergrad, so keep the hope alive.