60 Minutes Story On Parkinson's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone happened to catch the 60 Minutes story on Parkinson's Disease (7/28).

I found it pretty amazing what they are able to do with some of these advanced-stage patients.

Any NYCOMers out there that can drop a line and add what NYCOM is currently working on, and if it has anything to do with the deep-brain stimulation or the long-term outcome.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.... Was the 60 minutes story talking about the parkinson's research being conducted at NYCOM???

DOnut

No, in fact I don't reacall any specific hospital or medical center being mentioned. It simply said "about 50 hospitals nationwide...".

I was more interested in whether or not the work being done at NYCOM had any sort of focus on patients who had either gone through this type of surgery or if NYCOM's work was maybe a stepping stone for these patients to move on to have this surgery done.

Just curious.

I dont know the specifics of the research, but it's pretty well funded, having a whole center dedicated to it. The guy who heads it, Dr. E. Fazzini, also heads the Parkinsons center at NYU and for some national foundation I believe. He's a DO/PhD neurologist, not a neurosurgeon, but his group is the group at the forefront of the implant procedure. His website is www.theparkinsonsdoctor.com. He also uses botox extensively as a treatment I believe. He claims to see more Parkinsons patients than anyone else in the world and rumor has it he's Michael J Fox's doc too. He sees patients all over the world and he's one hell of a neurology professor as well. If I can find any more info I'll pass it along.