600 comlex Do i need usmle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1fleshydude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got comlex 1 score of 602.
I have no idea what i wanna do yet

Is just comlex good enough for IM, EM, or anesthesia?

Do i need step 1?
Thank you ahead of time

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So im limited to the aoa residencies in specialties & primary care Aoa/acgme with comlex only?

Lol i feel like my score is meaningless...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe look st the charting outcomes. You won't be matching ACGME surgery but you do have a few options outside of just FM

If you were scoring that well on the comlex/practice tests why would you not have taken the USMLE also? Is yours one of those schools that discourages you from taking it?

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, a solid comlex like that opens doors at pretty much all AOA programs (although derm/ENT/ortho etc might be a stretch), and a big handful of ACGME (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

Most FM/Peds (including some university programs, but big names aren't happening)
Lots of Community IM
A good handful of (mostly community) Psych, Anesthesia, and EM
Some Neurology
Maybe a small handful of community OB/Gyn (though OB is a really tricky one)

Reactions: 5 users
So im limited to the aoa residencies in specialties & primary care Aoa/acgme with comlex only?

Lol i feel like my score is meaningless...

Although I agree with you, a 600 is a good score, the problem lies with the fact that a lot/most ACGME residencies either don't care about the comlex or they don't really know what our scores mean, or a mix of both. I've said this before, but about 50% of DOs take COMLEX only, so you still have plenty of options, but I also know that both EM and anesthesia really like DO students having both step 1 and step 2. Especially with how EM is currently, I would not chance it without step scores. There might be some leeway for anesthesia since it's much less competitive.

I don't know how your schedule is set up, but it's already September of what would be third year and I'm generally of the opinion that, for DO students, trying to study for Step during rotations will make you come out with a less than satisfactory score.

Take USMLE. That's the final answer. Any DO student that doesn't take USMLE is putting themselves at a serious disadvantage regardless of the COMLEX score.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
If you were scoring that well on the comlex/practice tests why would you not have taken the USMLE also? Is yours one of those schools that discourages you from taking it?

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, a solid comlex like that opens doors at pretty much all AOA programs (although derm/ENT/ortho etc might be a stretch), and a big handful of ACGME (someone please correct me if I'm wrong):

Most FM/Peds (including some university programs, but big names aren't happening)
Lots of Community IM
A good handful of (mostly community) Psych, Anesthesia, and EM
Some Neurology
Maybe a small handful of community OB/Gyn (though OB is a really tricky one)

Only going to correct the bolded with regards to FM, even the "big names" in FM are interviewing and taking DOs with COMLEX only. Its only very specific programs with very specific cultures (that sure are mostly in the "top tier" of programs) that really require USMLE in FM. I will also say that its most not just some university FM programs that will take people with a high COMLEX only score.

The rest sounds accurate to me.

@Peach Newport i actually didnt take many practice tests and i foolishly trusted the "osteopathic charting outcpmes"

Which i found out was wrong cuz it doesnt correct for applicants who took both exams

I was told by a GME director and a program director at a large university hospital that they can't compare an apple to an orange. In other words, take the USMLE. It sucks, but it's how it is at the moment.

What if i take step 2 with comlex 2?
The question is what do you want to match into and where? You're not the first DO to match ACGME without a USMLE, but you have put yourself at a disadvantage

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The question is what do you want to match into and where? You're not the first DO to match ACGME without a USMLE, but you have put yourself at a disadvantage

If im limited to comm IM/FM/psych, I want to be in a major city or near a major city and im open to do anything but Peds or OB

If EM/Anesthesia/GS are possible, im willing to go wherever.

Last edited:
I got comlex 1 score of 602.
I have no idea what i wanna do yet

Is just comlex good enough for IM, EM, or anesthesia?

Do i need step 1?
Thank you ahead of time
Yes. Nobody cares about COMLEX in anaesthesia, few care in EM and most IM programs that take COMLEX are undesirable. Take step 1 dude

Reactions: 2 users
Yes. Nobody cares about COMLEX in anaesthesia, few care in EM and most IM programs that take COMLEX are undesirable. Take step 1 dude

I think plenty of people match into EM with just comlex. It's probably becoming more difficult as EM grows more competitively, but I don't think it's a closed door yet. As for Gas, I honestly think COMLEX probably is good enough for a lot since it's generally uncompetitive.

People match anesthesia just fine without a step 1. It is also not a rare occurrence for EM either. EM will be more of a challenge, but they care a lot about Step 2 so OP could do that and probably be ok. I think you underestimate how many people actually do ok without Step 1 in ACGME.

Plenty of people did match in years past, but EM is considerably more competitive now. You can have some luck with a former AOA program or in some midwestern ones but in general you aren't making things easy without a USMLE.

Gas has always been USMLE heavy regardless of competitiveness.

People match anesthesia just fine without a step 1. It is also not a rare occurrence for EM either. EM will be more of a challenge, but they care a lot about Step 2 so OP could do that and probably be ok. I think you underestimate how many people actually do ok without Step 1 in ACGME.
I'm in EM and my GF is in gas. You aren't gonna get that many bites in either field without a USMLE score. Don't mistake DO friendly for Comlex friendly.

Reactions: 6 users
If i stick with comlex only, & apply to FM & IM community programs only.

Will i have a >90% chance of matching to a dual accreddited?

Will i have a >90% chance of matching somwhere after merger?

You will easily match community IM / FM with a 602 comlex.

If im limited to comm IM/FM/psych, I want to be in a major city or near a major city and im open to do anything but Peds or OB

If EM/Anesthesia/GS are possible, im willing to go wherever.
I think people are painting to you a grimmer picture than reality. It's the SDN tradition. Matching IM community next to a major city is entirely possible. Matching FM in a major city is very easy; I know someone with 400s that got interviewed at plenty of ACGME FM, including programs affiliated with UC campuses. Psych is becoming more competitive, but outside of NY/CA you will find more luck.

I don't think you're out of the running for EM and Anesthesia "somewhere" in AOA. Gen Surg would be very hard outside the AOA.

:shrug: Not what residents have told me but ok

I never said no bites but check the threads last year for gas and EM. There are COMLEX only applicants that matched but it's still much more difficult. In EM there are a lot of programs that require Step 1 scores for away rotations as a MS4, never mind for interview/ranking purposes.

Especially for fields like EM and Gas that are otherwise very DO friendly so long as they can make an apples-to-apples comparison, it would be stupid to be tossed out of the running simply because you chose not to spend an extra 600$. Take step 1 people.

I am in radiology, most radiology PDs don't care about your COMLEX score, whether it's 500 or 800, as long as you passed.

I never said no bites but check the threads last year for gas and EM. There are COMLEX only applicants that matched but it's still much more difficult. In EM there are a lot of programs that require Step 1 scores for away rotations as a MS4, never mind for interview/ranking purposes.

Especially for fields like EM and Gas that are otherwise very DO friendly so long as they can make an apples-to-apples comparison, it would be stupid to be tossed out of the running simply because you chose not to spend an extra 600$. Take step 1 people.

I do agree with this sentiment 100%. Maybe I misread the thread but I've assumed OP was past the window of taking Step 1 and would have to prepare for it while on rotations.

Will i have a >90% chance of matching to a dual accreddited?

You're not gonna have an issue matching most FM or community IM, and there are more than a few university programs that will give you interviews, especially in the midwest. But you're not gonna have your pick of IM residencies or fellowships without a USMLE score.

i am. Im on the fence right now about it.

I wonder if its possible to prep for it

Honestly, if you can >220 on Step 1 it will open far more doors to ACGME residencies than your 600 COMLEX.

Reactions: 4 users
i am. Im on the fence right now about it.

I wonder if its possible to prep for it
I'd take it at the end of 3rd year if I were you. It's a lot with Level 2 looming as well but that's your best bet.

Do NOT assume that a good showing on COMLEX = good USMLE. There are plenty of stories about DO students acing COMLEX and bombing USMLE. Take a few NBME practice tests, they're a available online. See how you do. A bad USMLE can undo all the good your COMLEX does. As is, there's plenty of programs in all 3 of the specialties you mentioned that will consider you competitive. Are you geographically restricted? Otherwise, don't make your life harder. Lots of places won't even look at you without a USMLE but you'll match if all your ducks are in a row.

I'd take it at the end of 3rd year if I were you. It's a lot with Level 2 looming as well but that's your best bet.

Do NOT assume that a good showing on COMLEX = good USMLE. There are plenty of stories about DO students acing COMLEX and bombing USMLE. Take a few NBME practice tests, they're a available online. See how you do. A bad USMLE can undo all the good your COMLEX does. As is, there's plenty of programs in all 3 of the specialties you mentioned that will consider you competitive. Are you geographically restricted? Otherwise, don't make your life harder. Lots of places won't even look at you without a USMLE but you'll match if all your ducks are in a row.

Yup, we have one dude on this forum somewhere with a 650+ Comlex and a 215 Step 1. There's a reason why ACGME PDs don't really seriously consider the COMLEX when their programs have an abundant of MD applicants with a Step 1 score. If you want to compete against MD applicants for a certain residency spot, a legitimate competitive Step 1 will somewhat equalize the playing field in the eyes of PDs, making it easier for a PD to compare you against another MD applicant by a standardized metric. It's really just common sense.

For those suggesting you don't need USMLE for anesthesia, you are half right. With a good COMLEX score, you may very well match, but I can tell you that you will have to apply to a LOT more programs and will get a LOT fewer interviews. You will limit yourself significantly in the caliper of training you may receive.

I took the USMLE, it served me well. I have friends who matched anesthesia with only the COMLEX, but I can tell you they applied to a lot more programs than I, and received a lot less interviews.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a DO at a fairly competitive ACGME EM program that is DO-friendly. As @Lexdiamondz said, don't mistake DO-friendly for COMLEX-friendly. No DO has ever matched here w/o a USMLE score. In the few years I have been here, we have never discussed a DO's COMLEX score. I'm not evens sure they are on the matrix of stats we review at our rank meeting.

You certainly could match with just COMLEX; it just will be more stressful with less options than you'd probably like.

If you want to be compared as a peer with MD students, take the test that almost all of your competition is going to take and demonstrate your ability.

Reactions: 7 users
Always take Step 1.