7 DAt questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mahGOL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my friend took DAt yesterday and she could remember couple of bio questions.

1)which of the following protein is found more in extracellular memberane?
choices : collagen, tubulin, ... (couldnt remember all)
2) collagen in musucle is
choices: thermodynamic .... kinamtic... mechanical ...
3)why does urchin have two memberane egg.
4)what happens if you place a cell into water
choices: shrink... burst.... nothing....
5)orthropods are different from annelids in
6)what is cardiac output
7)if we have hundrad moles of amino acid how much RNA we need
choices: 100 mole ... 20 mole... 10mole... 5mole... 1mole

does anybody know the answer to questions 1, 2, 3, 7?

Members don't see this ad.

ah, they still ask that same ol sea urchin question.

INFNITE said:
ah, they still ask that same ol sea urchin question.

Can you share why? Is it because they have an outer vitelline membrane to prevent multiple sperm fertilizations?

Members don't see this ad :)
mahGOL said:

6)what is cardiac output

what are 1, 2, 3, 7?

mahGOL said:

6)what is cardiac output

1- collagen, it makes up much of the connective tissue. plus collages is made as a pre-collagen which gets cleaved when it's exported extracellularly.

3- to prevent multiple furtilization.

4 - if you place a cell full of organelles into water the cell will burst. the cell is hypertonic with respect to the outside.

5 - orthropods have an exoskeleton, but there are more differences in their digestive, respiratory, and circulatory systems.

6 - cardiac output = Heart Rate times storve volume

2. I think is mechanical because collagen’s function as a protein is related to connective tissue. Same as elastin.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
7. Don't have a clue. :confused:

howui3 said:
5 - orthropods have an exoskeleton, but there are more differences in their digestive, respiratory, and circulatory systems.

Arthropods have an open circulatory system and a one way digestive tract with Malpighian tubules.

Hey Dr. Romano,

While you're at it, I would appreciate it if you can ans these questions too, especially # 3) involving the RNA & Amino acid mole concentration. Thanks

Djapprentice said:
Hey Dr. Romano,

While you're at it, I would appreciate it if you can ans these questions too, especially # 3) involving the RNA & Amino acid mole concentration. Thanks

1)collagen
2) mechanical

howui3 said:
1- collagen, it makes up much of the connective tissue. plus collages is made as a pre-collagen which gets cleaved when it's exported extracellularly.

3- to prevent multiple furtilization.

4 - if you place a cell full of organelles into water the cell will burst. the cell is hypertonic with respect to the outside.

6 - cardiac output = Heart Rate times storve volume

correction: If you place a cell in water it will shrink and be hypertonic, if you were to place the cell in NaCl than it would burst and be hypotonic. If the cell were placed in Saline it would remain the same size and be isotonic.

If the environment is hypertonic , the water concentration is greater inside the cell while the solute concentration is higher outside (the interior of the cell is hypotonic to the surrounding hypertonic environment). Water goes out of the cell.

In an environment that is hypotonic, the water concentration is greater outside the cell and the solute concentration is higher inside (the interior of the cell is hypertonic to the hypotonic surroundings). Water goes into the cell.

RozhonDDS said:
correction: If you place a cell in water it will shrink and be hypertonic, if you were to place the cell in NaCl than it would burst and be hypotonic. If the cell were placed in Saline it would remain the same size and be isotonic.

If the environment is hypertonic , the water concentration is greater inside the cell while the solute concentration is higher outside (the interior of the cell is hypotonic to the surrounding hypertonic environment). Water goes out of the cell.

In an environment that is hypotonic, the water concentration is greater outside the cell and the solute concentration is higher inside (the interior of the cell is hypertonic to the hypotonic surroundings). Water goes into the cell.

correction: if you place a cell into water it will burst.

the water is hypotonic compared to the cell. the cell has a higher concentration of solute than extracellular medium. hence the water moves into the cell and causes it to lyse (in animals) and to become turgid (in plants, since they have a cell wall).

Rozhon is right the cell is hypotonic, since the water concentration is greater outside.

How many RNA bases?
Or RNA Strands?

Can't be bases because I thought:

Each Amino Acid needs 1 codon
1 codon = 3 mRNA Bases
300 moles of RNA bases

So it must mean strands right?
So the question is really asking:
How many Amino Acids does each strand of mRNA code for?

NO CLUE!?
Just thought that I would throw it at you guys at a different angle.
please help! thanks

RozhonDDS said:

howui is right, the cell will burst. To not get confused with hypo/hyper, think that osmosis is the diffusion of water from a region of lower solute concentration to a region of higher solute concentration. Since inside the cell concentration of solute is higher, the water will move into the cell.

Rook said:

How many RNA bases?
Or RNA Strands?

Can't be bases because I thought:

Each Amino Acid needs 1 codon
1 codon = 3 mRNA Bases
300 moles of RNA bases

So it must mean strands right?
So the question is really asking:
How many Amino Acids does each strand of mRNA code for?

NO CLUE!?
Just thought that I would throw it at you guys at a different angle.
please help! thanks

I think the answer is 300 mols of RNA bases. The OP isn't providing exact questions with all the answer choices.

so let me get this straight. When would the cell shrink than? Basically I am asking what solution would the cell have to be placed in because if you put it in water than it would burst, but if you you put the cell in ________ than it would shrink?

RozhonDDS said:
so let me get this straight. When would the cell shrink than? Basically I am asking what solution would the cell have to be placed in because if you put it in water than it would burst, but if you you put the cell in ________ than it would shrink?

If you put the cell in a solution with a higher solute concentration (or hypertonic solution) then water will leave the cell and it will shrink.

RozhonDDS said:

Water flows towards high solute concentration. It wants to dilute the solute. So if you put a cell in pure water, there is a higher solute concentration inside the cell, so the pure water will try to dilute that concentration and flow into the cell causing it to burst(lysis). On the other hand, if you put a cell in salt water the salt concentration in higher outside the cell, so the water from the cell will leave and try to dilute that concentration causing the cell to shrivel. Thats the way I keep it straight. Hope that helps!!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.