7 II, but starting to feel nervous.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clover629

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am so so lucky to have had 7 II already and this feels like a dumb thing to even be posting about because I know other people are having a much more challenging cycle than I am. However, I’m starting to feel anxious that none of these will work out. For the most part, I think my interviews have gone well (with the exception of one where I was grilled pretty intensely), but I’m just worried about getting Rs or WLs from everywhere. For context, I’ve gotten interviews from a mix of schools, some mid tier state schools and other T20.

I know people say that you should always be prepping your app to apply again but my motivation to keep up ECs while working full time during interview season has been… low. If anyone has advice for surviving this messy middle part of the cycle, I would super appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
People often can’t tell how well or poorly they did in their interviews. You’re in a good spot right now. I’ve got 0 interviews in 2 cycles, so compared to me you’re doing exceptionally well.

So many of your waking (and what should have been sleeping) hours will be spent on medicine once you get in. You’ll have enough time to think about it then. If you’re in a lull period right now, I’d say enjoy your hobbies and relationships outside of work. Maybe go to a new park you haven’t been to or something.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
We like to say, "Interviews three, a doctor you'll be." Not sure what 7 interviews will get you but I am hopeful it will result in at least one offer.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You shouldn't have a ton of time left until you start to hear one way or another. I wouldn't quit your ECs until you get an A but hopefully you won't have long to wait.

Reactions: 4 users
We like to say, "Interviews three, a doctor you'll be." Not sure what 7 interviews will get you but I am hopeful it will result in at least one offer.
I believe the saying is "Interviews seven, a doctor goes to heaven." Wait, that can't be right! Darn it! This place is littered with doctors and future doctors, but there is never a poet around when I really need one.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Interviews seven, you will be let in

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
If anyone has advice for surviving this messy middle part of the cycle, I would super appreciate it.

Make this graphic your wallpaper on your phone (lock screen).

SDN Trust the Process English.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone,
I am so so lucky to have had 7 II already and this feels like a dumb thing to even be posting about because I know other people are having a much more challenging cycle than I am. However, I’m starting to feel anxious that none of these will work out. For the most part, I think my interviews have gone well (with the exception of one where I was grilled pretty intensely), but I’m just worried about getting Rs or WLs from everywhere. For context, I’ve gotten interviews from a mix of schools, some mid tier state schools and other T20.

I know people say that you should always be prepping your app to apply again but my motivation to keep up ECs while working full time during interview season has been… low. If anyone has advice for surviving this messy middle part of the cycle, I would super appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Do you know when those 7 start releasing As? I wouldn’t worry about As till January and mean time you will probably get more IIs since still too early in the process.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know when those 7 start releasing As? I wouldn’t worry about As till January and mean time you will probably get more IIs since still too early in the process.
October is Offer month for medical school applicants. Early decisions should be out by October 1, DOs beginning around October 1, MD regular decisions around October 15. ("Offer-tober" sounds hokey to me.)

Read

AMCAS schools cannot fill their classes and extend more offers than there are seats available until March, so the chance to get waitlisted after interview is likely. Manifest March thud begins with the opening of CYMS rules.

For 2024 entry, I am unsure how the FAFSA rollout delay will affect financial aid.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
AMCAS schools cannot fill their classes and extend more offers than there are seats available until March, so the chance to get waitlisted after interview is likely. Manifest March thud begins with the opening of CYMS rules.
How long has this been a rule? Not what I recall from when I sat on the decisions committee.

• Wow
How long has this been a rule? Not what I recall from when I sat on the decisions committee.
That was what I was told was the rule in my brief time and dictated the management of our offers. I also know many COA leadership folks who emphasized this general rule/convention. I wish I had the documentation. It should be in the traffic rules.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but the principle is to avoid having schools "flood the (application) zone" with offers (and potentially overenroll classes) and block out late applicants (who tended to be lower income or SED). We know this is possible because the traffic rules are set up that applicants can hold on to all their multiple offers until relatively late when deposits become nonrefundable (in the spring). It allows for more flexibility to craft classes and earlier WL movement, provided students turn down offers before CYMS.

Thus, a school with 100 seats can't extend and commit all of their 100 spots on October 15. Or worse, extend 200 offers if they anticipate a huge melt by orientation. That's a good thing. That's why WLs are on the table but are not signs of despair. It isn't over until the talented corpulent prima donna has finished. (End quick lesson in enrollment management.)

Last edited:
That was what I was told was the rule in my brief time and dictated the management of our offers. I also know many COA leadership folks who emphasized this general rule/convention. I wish I had the documentation. It should be in the traffic rules.

If I'm wrong, let me know, but the principle is to avoid having schools "flood the (application) zone" with offers (and potentially overenroll classes) and block out late applicants (who tended to be lower income or SED). We know this is possible because the traffic rules are set up that applicants can hold on to all their multiple offers until relatively late when deposits become nonrefundable (in the spring). It allows for more flexibility to craft classes and earlier WL movement, provided students turn down offers before CYMS.

Thus, a school with 100 seats can't extend and commit all of their 100 spots on October 15. Or worse, extend 200 offers if they anticipate a huge melt by orientation. That's a good thing. That's why WLs are on the table but are not signs of despair. It isn't over until the talented corpulent prima donna has finished. (End quick lesson in enrollment management.)
I think that is a school's rule, my school was routinely committing 100% of seats by Christmas and 200-300% by mid-February. We knew that our applicants had, on average 5 offers and we expected, indeed, counted on, a huge melt in May.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS schools cannot fill their classes and extend more offers than there are seats available until March, so the chance to get waitlisted after interview is likely.
We can make any number of offers (and greatly exceed the number of seats) at any point after October 15th.

Traffic rule #4 states: By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS.
Maybe your source got it backwards?

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
We can make any number of offers (and greatly exceed the number of seats) at any point after October 15th.

Traffic rule #4 states: By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS.
Thanks!

@LizzyM and @gyngyn thanks for your insights. Just looked over the traffic rules for the first time and saw #9 (Making an offer of admission to an applicant who has already matriculated at another school could result in the other school having an unfilled slot in its class. Each school is encouraged to take reasonable measures, including asking applicants under consideration whether they have already matriculated at another medical school, and carefully consider that information when deciding whether to make an offer to an applicant.)

Does this only become relevant in June / July when some schools start orientation?

I think that is a school's rule, my school was routinely committing 100% of seats by Christmas and 200-300% by mid-February. We knew that our applicants had, on average 5 offers and we expected, indeed, counted on, a huge melt in May.
True for our school as well, but by a month later compared to LM's school.

Does this only become relevant in June / July when some schools start orientation?
Once orientation starts (at the other school), those students are no longer considered.
I sometimes think that there may be schools that start extra early for just this reason.
...or maybe I'm a cynic.

Last edited:
@LizzyM and @gyngyn thanks for your insights. Just looked over the traffic rules for the first time and saw #9 (Making an offer of admission to an applicant who has already matriculated at another school could result in the other school having an unfilled slot in its class. Each school is encouraged to take reasonable measures, including asking applicants under consideration whether they have already matriculated at another medical school, and carefully consider that information when deciding whether to make an offer to an applicant.)

Already matriculated means that the applicant has begun orientation at the other school. That is clearly not the case when an adcom is making offers before New Year and can be one reason to make a ton of offers between mid-October and mid-February. I had heard of a school that held an orientation week really early in the new year to lock in applicants. That does seem cruel.

• Wow
Already matriculated means that the applicant has begun orientation at the other school. That is clearly not the case when an adcom is making offers before New Year and can be one reason to make a ton of offers between mid-October and mid-February. I had heard of a school that held an orientation week really early in the new year to lock in applicants. That does seem cruel.
With CYMS and the way med school curricula are constructed, I would be extremely surprised too. Other programs like PA or PT may have earlier starts, but that is not the situation the Traffic Rules are meant to address (among AMCAS programs only).

Remember @gonnif

Make this graphic your wallpaper on your phone (lock screen).

View attachment 377425

While these are certainly related to facts, stats, and guidance that I have given out over the years, I am not responsible for the creation of this video nor do I appreciate it being posted under my name implying that I somehow put it together particularly with that hideous music.

I have withdrawn from this site, partly due to health reasons, but mostly due to a previous issue where @Mr.Smile12 edited/censored WITHOUT CLEARLY STATING SUCH. I will not tolerate my words being changed without it being made clear they are no longer my words. It was for that reason I removed all my previous postings that I was able from SDN and have chosen to limit my involvement.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Care
While these are certainly related to facts, stats, and guidance that I have given out over the years, I am not responsible for the creation of this video nor do I appreciate it being posted under my name implying that I somehow put it together particularly with that hideous music.

I have withdrawn from this site, partly due to health reasons, but mostly due to a previous issue where @Mr.Smile12 edited/censored WITHOUT CLEARLY STATING SUCH. I will not tolerate my words being changed without it being made clear they are no longer my words. It was for that reason I removed all my previous postings that I was able from SDN and have chosen to limit my involvement.
Sorry... we will remove this. We will always appreciate your contributions to SDN.

• Care
Sorry... we will remove this. We will always appreciate your contributions to SDN.
Thank you

I see that it is posted on youtube under SDN’s channel. How do I get this removed from there as well and as I certainly do not like the way, the information is being presented, particularly under my name. If you would like my input on how this should be presented, please contact me.

Hi everyone,

I’m feeling similarly. I have been lucky enough to get multiple IIs thusfar but lately I’ve been feeling like my interviews went super mid. I can’t help but worry a bit that they will all turn to WLs or Rs.

Time will tell and I hope we both come out w at least one A!

Last edited:
Thank you

I see that it is posted on youtube under SDN’s channel. How do I get this removed from there as well and as I certainly do not like the way, the information is being presented, particularly under my name. If you would like my input on how this should be presented, please contact me.
I let the team know to take it down.

• Care
I’m feeling similarly. I have been lucky enough to get 10 IIs thusfar but lately I’ve been feeling like my interviews went super mid. I can’t help but worry a bit that they will all turn to WLs or Rs.

Time will tell and I hope we both come out w at least one A!
Dude, you are getting into med school. If we assume an average of 40% post-II acceptance rate for each school, the probability that you will be rejected from all 10 schools you interview at is ~0.6%. There's no way you fumbled every single one of your interviews that badly

• Haha
Dude, you are getting into med school. If we assume an average of 40% post-II acceptance rate for each school, the probability that you will be rejected from all 10 schools you interview at is ~0.6%. There's no way you fumbled every single one of your interviews that badly
The adage was "Interviews three, a doctor you'll be"; I've heard the average was more like 30% post-II acceptance rate but I could be wrong and this was around 2018 or so. It is possible that you come off as very robotic or extremely awkward or very arrogant or very neurotic but have great grades, test scores, and ECs and so interview terribly. If you really want to cover all your bases, try to do a mock interview or two. Unless there is something going on where you're a great candidate on paper but interview terribly, or you're just very unlucky, you're likely to get in somewhere.

Congrats: your social skills aren't terrible, at least not in a way that's apparent on interview.

Didn't mean to be damning with faint praise here: you've cleared the bar there. For applicants that are strong on paper, the bar in some places can be fairly low. Good on you for getting the acceptance; read Goro's guide for accepted med students, and good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats: your social skills aren't terrible, at least not in a way that's apparent on interview.

Didn't mean to be damning with faint praise here: you've cleared the bar there. For applicants that are strong on paper, the bar in some places can be fairly low. Good on you for getting the acceptance; read Goro's guide for accepted med students, and good luck!

Can anyone share a link to this guide? I feel silly but I can't find it anywhere.

thank you everyone for your wise words and support!! since posting this I’ve received two acceptances and now have 12 interviews. i think i was panicking prematurely

• Love
thank you everyone for your wise words and support!! since posting this I’ve received two acceptances and now have 12 interviews. i think i was panicking prematurely
Which is why I came up with the Thanksgiving Rule (don't worry about not having an interview until after Thanksgiving in late November) and the Mardi Gras Rule (don't worry about not having an offer of admission until after Mardi Gras (mid-Feb to early March).