7 Year BS/MD USF Morsani College of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungProdigy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anybody here a part of this program or know anybody who is? can you give me more info regarding it?

also, once you take the MCAT and everything else down pat, when the ad coms are looking at your application, how important is the SAT score i.e. will they view the applicant who got a 32 mcat score and a 1360 M+CR SAT score the same way they'd look at an applicant with a 32 mcat and a 1450 M+CR score (assuming all other things are equal between the two applicants)?

Here's the link: http://honors.usf.edu/ap_med.html

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Is anybody here a part of this program or know anybody who is? can you give me more info regarding it?

also, once you take the MCAT and everything else down pat, when the ad coms are looking at your application, how important is the SAT score i.e. will they view the applicant who got a 32 mcat score and a 1360 M+CR SAT score the same way they'd look at an applicant with a 32 mcat and a 1450 M+CR score (assuming all other things are equal between the two applicants)?

Here's the link: http://honors.usf.edu/ap_med.html

thanks in advance
I went to USF for undergrad but I wasn't in the 7 years program. I know some people who were and I believe once your in the program anything from HS they don't care about. All you need is a 3.7 and a 30 mcat and your in as long as you're ok on your interview and do the other requirements. I also know a bunch of people who couldn't keep the GPA requirement.

I went to USF for undergrad but I wasn't in the 7 years program. I know some people who were and I believe once your in the program anything from HS they don't care about. All you need is a 3.7 and a 30 mcat and your in as long as you're ok on your interview and do the other requirements. I also know a bunch of people who couldn't keep the GPA requirement.

Why do they have the 1350 M+CR requirement though?

and shouldn't there be a lot more applicants for the program, which would make the program a lot more competitive than it sounds?

i need to decide between ucf and usf. usf has a 7 year program, but its sort of risky because you're not completely in until you apply in your sophomore year. any advice?

if you can answer any of the question, id really appreciate it.

also, any way you can send me an e-mil address or anything like that, so that I can contact someone who was in the program?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the 7 year program and I am currently an MS-2 in the Morsani College of Medicine. I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Why do they have the 1350 M+CR requirement though?
It is my understanding that the only requirement to begin on the 7 y/r track is to be admitted to the USF honors college which requires the SAT score.

and shouldn't there be a lot more applicants for the program, which would make the program a lot more competitive than it sounds?

When I started the program there were over 200 people in the program freshman year. Only 7 people made it to interviews and all 7 were accepted. The program requirements weed out a lot of people.

i need to decide between ucf and usf. usf has a 7 year program, but its sort of risky because you're not completely in until you apply in your sophomore year. any advice?

I would go with which ever school is going to be the cheapest for you.

Yes! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!

Some more questions:

How difficult is it to complete your biomedical undergrad research? in other words, how do you find a prof who will allow you to complete a research project with him/her?

can the morsani college of medicine reject you even if you've completed the interview and have met all benchmarks? like if you do terribly on the interview, can they reject you solely on the terrible interview?

Personally, for you, how difficult has it been to balance coursework, extracurriculars, and prep for the mcat?

any advice on getting a 30 on the mcat while only being 2 years into college?

finally, and one of my most important questions, what did you get on the sat as a whole and then on M+CR.

thank you!

Last edited:
How difficult is it to complete your biomedical undergrad research? in other words, how do you find a prof who will allow you to complete a research project with him/her?

I found a research mentor by contacting the undergraduate research office and they were able to connect me to a research mentor in biomedical science. It was a very simple process.

can the morsani college of medicine reject you even if you've completed the interview and have met all benchmarks? like if you do terribly on the interview, can they reject you solely on the terrible interview?

Yes, this was not the case in the past but now they reserve the right to reject an applicant on the basis of the interview. I have only heard of this happening once and that was an applicant who said he/she was not sure if he/she wanted to be a doctor.

Personally, for you, how difficult has it been to balance coursework, extracurriculars, and prep for the mcat?

It was fairly difficult but do able. I spent my entire Christmas vacation (6+ hours per day) studying for the Mcat during my sophomore year. It was a sacrifice but I managed it.

any advice on getting a 30 on the mcat while only being 2 years into college?
Take a prep course. I took the Princeton review and it helped a great deal. I had not finished all the courses that the MCAT covered when I took the test but I had seen the information before thanks to taking a prep course.

finally, and one of my most important questions, what did you get on the sat as a whole and then on M+CR.

I don't remember my total SAT score (I thought the writing portion was a joke) but my M+CR was 1380.

what was your MCAT score (you can pm me if you're not comfortable posting it here)?

are there any negatives to this program? im willing to put in as much work as i need, so commitment to studying isn't an issue.

what is the biggest reason that people are thrown out of the program? gpa? mcat? ec's?

thanks again.

Last edited:
what was your MCAT score (you can pm me if you're not comfortable posting it here)?

are there any negatives to this program? im willing to put in as much work as i need, so commitment to studying isn't an issue.

I don't think there are any negatives. I liked how it set goals to achieve, this kept me focused and even if you don't make it through the 7 year program you will have a great application to apply to medical schools in the traditional manner.

what is the biggest reason that people are thrown out of the program? gpa? mcat? ec's?

I'd say 1st is gpa and then MCAT. The basic science classes like chem 1 and 2 and orgo 1 and 2 knock a lot of people out

i cant thank you enough barn for the help. really really appreciate it

another personal question, what was your gpa when you got your interview? id just like to get an estimate of potential gpa.

thanks

I don't exactly remember my GPA at the interview but I finished my undergrad with a usf GPA of 3.81

I'm a senior at USF and a former 7-Year student. I chose to opt out of the program because I felt like I needed to mature and gain more experience before I applied to medical school. It's a definitely a great program if you're sure you want to go to USF for med school. I finished up my prerequisites very quickly (I'm graduating a semester early) and my application to med school was pretty strong; I just recently interviewed at USF under the Early Decision program. I would recommend the program and USF as a whole, personally.

I'm a senior at USF and a former 7-Year student. I chose to opt out of the program because I felt like I needed to mature and gain more experience before I applied to medical school. It's a definitely a great program if you're sure you want to go to USF for med school. I finished up my prerequisites very quickly (I'm graduating a semester early) and my application to med school was pretty strong; I just recently interviewed at USF under the Early Decision program. I would recommend the program and USF as a whole, personally.

are there any certain profs you recommend I take? i know youll probably have to go back and look at the names of your profs, but profs you think are good for bio 1, chem 1, physics 1, calc, would be really nice.

thanks anyways.

are there any certain profs you recommend I take? i know youll probably have to go back and look at the names of your profs, but profs you think are good for bio 1, chem 1, physics 1, calc, would be really nice.

thanks anyways.

I don't think the professors I had for Calc (Manoughian), Chem 1 (Caswell), and Physics 1 (Mueller) are still at USF... but I know Dr. Upahyaya still teaches Bio 1, he was a pretty good professor when I took the class. Good luck.

I know someone who successfully matriculated through the 7 year program at USF. On paper it may look easy, but based on what I've heard, most people do not complete the program. I've heard that the GPA and MCAT are the biggest challenges in the program, in that order. If you meet the requirements, you are guaranteed an interview for medical school, although acceptance is not guaranteed. As far as I know, the SAT is only used when being considered for acceptance to the Honors College.

The requirements for the 7 year program would make you competitive at a good amount of medical schools, regardless. I've heard of a number of people who did not finish the program because of their MCAT, but still managed to be accepted to the USF Morsani College of Medicine. USF tends to prefer students who did their bachelors/masters degrees there as well, unlike UCF (who does not have any special preference for their own grads).

I would recommend the USF program over the UCF program. There are a lot of opportunities at USF and it gives a structured set of goals. Also, you would become more familiar with the area/resources and have more favorable chance of acceptance at USF Morsani College of Medicine if you did not successfully complete the 7 year program. Although, I would agree that cost should be a consideration when making the decision. But from what I understand, USF tends to be quite generous for undergraduate scholarships to Honors College students.