Applying out of a bs/md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weirdo1234

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently enrolled in a bs/md program that doesn’t allow applying out. However how would they know if I did apply out? I thought medical schools can’t see if you apply to other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you would presumably need LORs and possibly a committee letter from them for starters. How would you go about asking for these?

You’re an adult. You signed up for this. If you don’t want it anymore, give up your seat for someone who does.

Reactions: 1 users
If I get lor’s from people outside my school would i be able to?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how would they know if I did apply out? I thought medical schools can’t see if you apply to other schools?
When those other schools receive your app, they can simply call your school to confirm you're in the BS/MD program. I imagine that would not be a pleasant conversation.

Reactions: 1 users
At some point, it will come out. It's not a question of if but rather of when. But the point isn't whether you could get away with it.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
If you feel compelled to apply out, do it through the proper channels and build a strong app with letters of rec, official transcripts, and as a student in good standing with your current institution. MD world is smaller than you think, don't let an error in judgment create problems for your career.

Now, if you are seriously considering opting out, read the plethora of old SDN threads on this topic and make an informed choice.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I was in a BS/MD program and was in a similar situation. I ended up dropping out of the combined program and applying out. Several people in years ahead of me did the same thing. But it was fairly easy. Just notify the BS/MD program office and let them know. I ended up getting accepted to several MD programs.

Why are you reluctant to notify them? You'll most certainly lose your guaranteed spot, but its the only way you'll be able to apply.

Reactions: 3 users