7 year pharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotmilklol

High Skooler
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard somewhere that 0+6 schools are extending one more year for pharmacy school now. Why are schools doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Where was your source? Never heard of this.

hey thank u soooo sooo much....this was very helpful:). i could not believe i read all this at 2 in the morning lol....It was very helpful, in fact i think i might bookmark the page. boy the actual prepping process is quite expensive if u ask me lol:eek:

I've heard somewhere that 0+6 schools are extending one more year for pharmacy school now. Why are schools doing this?
I hope thats not true...

If it is, the schools are only doing it for extra $$$$$$ and pure greed...a 7th year is COMPLETELY ridiculous. Actually a 6th year is a waste too...they should have kept a pharmacy education to 5 years to begin with.

Ya, one of my cousin's friends that goes to USP's 6 year program said they made it 7 years for 2010 applicants.

I hope thats not true...

If it is, the schools are only doing it for extra $$$$$$ and pure greed...a 7th year is COMPLETELY ridiculous. Actually a 6th year is a waste too...they should have kept a pharmacy education to 5 years to begin with.

Not really. What they're doing is adding courses such as statistics, biochemistry, anatomy and physiology and so on. What this does is allows the school to NOT teach these undergraduate courses in the first year of a DOCTORATE program. They are essentially demanding that students be prepared adequately for a doctorate course. They can then replace these courses with ones better suited for a doctorate program as opposed to a 300 level biochemistry or microbiology course.

I know that Purdue is doing it for next year's freshmen. I got lucky. =)

at USC, having a Bachelor's degree is now a requirement. Now even the TAP students must complete a degree (not just the pre-reqs) making the "6 year" program a "7 year" program for most (takes longer to finish a bachelor's vs just pre-reqs)