297point1

Flatten the curve
10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2009
The Home Office
Status
Academic Administration
How many pharmacists, in the course of a 12 hour shift, haven't accidentally misplaced 1,500 units or so of a controlled substance? :confused:

That's a mere rounding error, as far as I am concerned. :smuggrin:

About the Ads

pharm B

Phar Noir
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2008
Out to Pasture
Status
Pharmacist
We actually had an enforcement guy from the Texas Board at our school the other day, and he mentioned a pharmacy in the state that was missing a few hundred thousand hydrocodone tablets. He told us, "how many per shift do you drop on the floor to get to that number?"

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
if u drop 500 pills a day, in a four years period u'll probably get to that point. although which hydrocodone are we referring to? as hydrocodone doesnt sell by itself? sometimes things are more complicated than that appears, and the writer appears to lack many details. while its highly likely that the owner or pharmacist might be responsible, but technicians stealing meds is not something uncommon. technicians get fire all the time for this. i remember one school interview where i had to write a short essay explaining what i would do if i caught a technician stealing. so the owner/pharmacist in this case might not even be aware of it. the writer seems to dump all the blame on the pharmacist without thinking of other possibilities, and the readers jump on to dampen the situation.

for a business that has withstood the test of time, let us not laugh at their untimely demise.

ArcSil

℞: ArcSil; Sig 1 QH PRN
Apr 18, 2012
Status
Pharmacy Student
if u drop 500 pills a day, in a four years period u'll probably get to that point. although which hydrocodone are we referring to? as hydrocodone doesnt sell by itself? sometimes things are more complicated than that appears, and the writer appears to lack many details. while its highly likely that the owner or pharmacist might be responsible, but technicians stealing meds is not something uncommon. technicians get fire all the time for this. i remember one school interview where i had to write a short essay explaining what i would do if i caught a technician stealing. so the owner/pharmacist in this case might not even be aware of it. the writer seems to dump all the blame on the pharmacist without thinking of other possibilities, and the readers jump on to dampen the situation.

for a business that has withstood the test of time, let us not laugh at their untimely demise.
Yes, you have a point that it could be stolen by techs, seeing that it is a CIII, but the owner/pharmacist deserves the blame if they did not notice that they're losing three times the hydrocodone-APAP that they are disposing. That's what? An entire stock bottle of the 500-count per day?

That is the equivalent of "Huh, I only remember filling five #30 scripts of hydrocodone-APAP (any strengths) and yet we used enough medication to fill 15. The Tech must have dropped yet another bottle on the ground."

I could maybe see it if it was #15 - #20 tabs missing an occasional shift (actually, not really, but for the sake of the argument), but how do you miss that 2/3 or 3/4 of the drugs you order are being diverted after several years?

Reactions: rph3664

rph3664

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I thought there was another thread about this story, and I was right. Here it is.

SpartanLaser

5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
They're all on the ground! It's like a ball pool that kiddies play in, but instead of balls, it's norcos!

About the Ads