7th Annual Exotic Animal Symposium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alonepear

MissState CVM 2011
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone from the University of Missouri happen to know when the Exotic Animal Symposium is going to be held this year?

Just curious b/c we're trying to make it club-sponsored trip (at least partly) and are therefore trying to plan ahead (for once!)

Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there, I'm secretary of Zoo Club here at Mizzou and we've been busy planning the Symposium since this summer! It's going to the Martin Luther King weekend January 17th and 18th. Any more questions let me know :) We are trying to get registration up within the next 2 weeks.

I'm actually pretty interested too. What are the associated costs with the conference? And all that info...heh, which you probably don't have yet. Would you mind posting a link to the page when it is up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope to see you guys there! :D

Right now we're just waiting for our final speaker rsvp's and wet lab decisions but all that should be finalized very soon! I'll post a link as soon as I can. I think the price for the conference is going to be somewhere b/w 75-85$ which includes 2 days registration, breakfast, and lunch on those days.

Sorry for the wait guys, my goal is to get everything to the IT department this week and hopefully the registration can go up. The problem is that we have most of our speakers rsvp's but we are having trouble getting some of them to finalize the details for their wetlabs. We have the topics just not enough specifics to be able to open registration for the wetlabs SOOOOO... we are going to be opening general registration for the symposium with a list of wetlabs that will be offered and then we will send out a notice when wet lab registration is up. This way you can see if there are wet labs you are interested in when you register for the general symposium, it's just going to be a couple of weeks before you can register for the labs. It will require 2 transactions on your part, 1 for general registration, and then later another 1 when we get the wet labs finalized. I know this is annoying but it's the only way we can get registration up and running. Does this make sense or am I just rambling? I am the chair for the registration committee so trust me I am working very hard at getting this up this week!

Some prices - may vary by 5$

Veterinary Student Registration (includes both days breakfast, lunch, lectures)- 75$
T-shirts - 12$
Social Night - 10$
Side Trip - 10$

Wetlabs - 25$ -register later when we send you the notice that they up and finalized!

Thank you guys for your patience!

Thanks ratbandit. I didn't want to forget about the symposium either. Any chance vet students in the area might offer traveling vet students a place to stay for the symposium?

I am actually really interested in trying to do a symposium at our school (Oregon state) on exotic animal/wildlife medicine. I think it'd be cool (admittedly a lot of work!) Where do your speakers come from? How did you get funding? How do you advertise to other schools to get other schools to come?

Em, feel free to PM the info to me as well. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Shameless plug for our upcoming Exotics conference at K-State, in case anyone's interested (and I'm excited about it). It's Sat/Sun Nov 1 and 2.

http://www.vet.ksu.edu/CE/2008/exotics.htm

Some great speakers and labs! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Thanks CookieBear for the link. I had glanced at the information earlier in the year (when I was wishing I could afford the $400 registration fees for AAZV) and unfortunately it was just too close for me to plan to make it to Kansas. :(

Has anyone else that is interested in exotics noticed how hard it is to find information on upcoming conferences? It seems like they are announced with very little time and then you have to scramble and pay higher fares for a ticket.

Anyone know of any other exotic/zoo/aquatic medicine conferences that look promising? I am trying to get a group of OSU students to come to a conference as a group.

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/exoticsymposium

So this is the link to the website where registration will be. Since we are getting charged for every transaction we do through the site we decided to just wait to open registration until the wetlab stuff was finalized. Tennesee opened registration last year on the 15th but their symposium was actually scheduled 2 weeks before ours, so we are actually not as behind as we thought we were! I will post when the registration is ready to go so you dont have to keep checking the website. I think we have reserved blocks of rooms in hotels so if you use those hotels you won't have to worry about getting charged a higher fee for reserving later.

Thanks CookieBear for the link. I had glanced at the information earlier in the year (when I was wishing I could afford the $400 registration fees for AAZV) and unfortunately it was just too close for me to plan to make it to Kansas. :(

Has anyone else that is interested in exotics noticed how hard it is to find information on upcoming conferences? It seems like they are announced with very little time and then you have to scramble and pay higher fares for a ticket.

Anyone know of any other exotic/zoo/aquatic medicine conferences that look promising? I am trying to get a group of OSU students to come to a conference as a group.

Hey Mylez, you're probably already aware of this... the 'big' annual conferences almost always have exotic blocks that you can either attend, or wet labs you can register for. The ones that pop first into my head are Atlantic Coast, North American, Central and Western. But, you're right, I know I've seen the prices for student registration - if available - and it's always still relatively expensive for those of us without jobs and living on loans :(

I think the 2 big exotics symposiums are the ones at Missouri and Tennessee. I'm at UT and I know we alternate with Missouri and so will be holding our next one in 2010. It is generally held around the first weekend in January before we get back to classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
This year it is January 17th and 18th!

Sorry I was just referring to the years that it is at Tennessee cause someone mentioned wanting to know way ahead.

This year it is January 17th and 18th!

Oh sad day! We've already planned our one trip for our exotics club this year, and it's to the Georgia Aquarium... on the same weekend! :(

Guess we'll do a club-sponsored trip next year, since it will be closer in TN...

Sorry we'll miss out, hope it goes well =)

That sucks Alonepear! Our website was supposed to go up this week but the guy who is working on it is out for a family emergency :(

In the meantime, we made an event on Facebook in case you'd like to join that. It's called "Exotics Symposium 2009!" I don't think you have to be officially invited to the event to join.

Hey ratbandit,

Do you know what kind of wet labs will be offered? Hehe...I know, I'm a pest. I am just interested in attending but want to make sure the cost is worthwhile.

I keep checking the site...very curious.

Immobilization Techniques and Darting, Performing the Avian Necropsy, Fish Pathology and Diagnostic Techniques, Common Procedures in Small Mammal Medicine, Avian Orthopedic Surgery

IT person is still out on a family emergency - so glad that they kept telling us to wait until we had everything perfect before asking them to post our online registration. Now I am officially annoyed but what can you do?:rolleyes:

PM me if you want forms to fill out for registration so you don't have to wait for the site. Just give me an e-mail address and I can personally e-mail you the forms. That way you can fill out the form and just send it back to us via e-mail. So long as we get your check postmarked within a week your wet lab spot will be held. I know that is really inconvenient but until we can get the site up it is our only option!

Ok guys, turns out that the forms got uploaded to the website so you can just download the forms from there. Thank you for your patience!

Yay! Super excited!

I am trying to round up a group of OSU'ers (Oregon) to go there in January. :D

Hey everyone...so who's all going to be there? :)

Excellent! I don't think I'm going to the social tonight as one of my dogs mysteriously had 3 small-ish wounds on her front leg after we came home from the park that I cleaned and sutured up quick, so I think I'm going to stay home and keep an eye on her. But please feel free to say hello during lunch or the small animal wet lab or something! I'm Maren. :D