7yr dental program at nyu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryry

One tooth at a time.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

im currently a sophomore enrolled in a 7yr dental program at nyu. since my school expects that i will be going into nyu dental school after my 3rd year, they don't really tell me much about how other students in a general pre-dental pool prepare to apply to dental schools. that wouldn't be my concern if i am doing well in the program and keeping up with all the requirements.

the problem is, my science gpa right now isn't good enough to impress anyone. it's about 3.25 as opposed to required 3.5 (my overall gpa is not a huge problem right now, because its slightly above the required gpa) although I've improved a lot this past semester, going from 3.25 to 3.5 seems pretty difficult.

so my plan as of now is that, seeing how I do this semester - if i get A in both my organic chemistry and upper level bio class then probably try to stay in the program. if not, i will drop out of the program and be in a general pre-dental track just like everyone else.

my questions are for the c/o 2012 (congrats btw)

1) i understand that if i want to apply for dental schools, i will need to do some volunteer work at a dentistry. how did you get the positions as volunteers? im having an incredibly difficult time finding a position. I've already been doing a lot of clinical volunteer work at the emergency department at bellevue hospital center since I need some non-dental volunteering as well (please correct me if im wrong on this)

2) if you have ever participated in a research, how much did that factor into your admission process? i am currently looking into finding some internship/volunteer at several lab throughout new york city as well as my hometown in LA.

thanks once again and i wish you the best of luck to all of you
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

1. You might want to start by asking your family dentist. If that doesn't work, try to show up personally in the office you want to shadow and speak to the dentist sincerely. They are more willing to let you shadow if you would also help out.

2. It depends on the school. Schools that are big on research (UCSF, for example) will most likely favor someone with research experience more, but otherwise I believe research is good, but not necessary.

1. Why do you want to drop out of the 7 year program?
2. Don't drop out.