8/24 DAT breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to start by saying that it is unnecessary to use so many materials. I have been checking these forums for quite a while these past 2 months, seeing breakdowns that include all he materials on the market, but honestly I don't know how some people make it through them all.

DAT 8/24/12:

PAT - 20
QR - 19
RC - 21
Bio - 22
GC - 21
OC - 27
TS - 23 (97.8%)
AA - 22 (97.0%)

This has really been an experience that feels soooo amazing to be done with.. I never took a full practice test and wow taking that test for 5 hrs I would never have wanted to put myself through that more than once.
I studied for 2 months, very heavily the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I did an overall review but was pretty relaxed. I trained my body to wake up early and go to sleep early since my test was set for 8:30 am. I got to the testing center at 7:40 and started my test right when I got there - the proctor was like "this is like a doctors office, we take you in right away." Whatever I got to finish earlier which was nice. Went to sleep at 9 last night.

Sciences
Bio - (22) - Read through Cliffs, then read through it a 2nd time taking notes. I used these notes throughout my bio studying. Went through Destroyer 3 times = best.
Did Qvault tests:
18 (used this as a diagnostic before I began studying) /21/20/20/20/23/21/27/19/(didn't take the last test)

Actual DAT - not bad, but I understand now what others meant by the wording of the questions being hard to understand. I did have some weird questions that I did not want to waste time on, so I just kept moving. Had 2 plant questions and 1 biological diversity question.

G Chem - (21) - Used Destroyer. Took the free qvault test and got a 24. I expected better in this section but i had some really tough calculations where I definitely missed those points. Kind of frustrating because that's what I practiced most and I don't think I got like any of them.. the answer choices weren't set up and the answers were pretty similar. Also I got the tougher calculations, not like PV=nRT but some strange ones. At this point I felt kind of out of it and thought I was gna pass out even, I really could have used some water. But I pushed myself through because I really wanted to get to that organic.
- Also it was kind of strange because usually during practice tests I would have an adrenaline rush and finish super early (for example, did every bio qvault in under 20 minutes) but on the actually test it felt too surreal that I didn't have that rush.

Orgo - (27) - Did this section in like 10 minutes. Didn't have time to check it over but I know which one I missed and it's such a dumb mistake because I was moving so fast but whatever. Used Destroyer and my class notes for this. Did the free qvault test and got a 26.

PAT - (20)
Ok. Really not as bad as I was expecting based on everyone's breakdowns. I was expecting a bit higher because I thought it actually went pretty well for what I was anticipating, but I did go down from CDP from my average of 23. I finished this section about 10 minutes early. Keyhole not too bad, different than CDP but still not too bad. Same with TFE - if you can do CDP you'll be fine. Angles a bit easier but some still hard to differentiate and holes MUCH easier. I got those 1/3 holes on two of them but SO not confusing very straightforward actually. Cubes was fine too. pattern folding is where I probably lost most of my points - very obscure shapes, not horrible though.

RC - (21)
Really not expecting this score as I only practiced with CDR and was doing terribly (17/17/19/18) on those 4 tests I took. Was just hoping for the best and thankfully I thought the real DAT was way easier than CDR. CDR did not have search and destroy type questions and the real dat did - but I didn't use this technique. I actually read the passages even though they ranged from 16-22 paragraphs long. Once you do this, the questions are so straightforward it's amazing. I spent 20 minutes on each passage.

QR - (19)
I used math destroyer for this and loved it - was a great study tool. I felt really prepared for this section and honestly the real test felt so easy in comparison it was like a joke. I finished 15 minutes early and never even did a timed practice test. (Did 9 tests in math destroyer just learning the material.) I was expecting a much higher score but honestly I don't care because this section doesn't really matter. But I have to say it was really easy, even if my score doesn't show it.

Well it's great to be done, thought I'd be wiped after the test but had a huge energy rush. Got in my car and just kept driving straight, totally in the wrong direction, but I was so out of it I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. Eventually I put my GPS on and got home ok.

Didn't use topscore, didn't use achiever, didn't do the 2009 ADA test or qvault for chem and orgo. I think if you read Cliffs and do destroyer and know your material you'll be good.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Best feeling to be done!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to start by saying that it is unnecessary to use so many materials. I have been checking these forums for quite a while these past 2 months, seeing breakdowns that include all he materials on the market, but honestly I don't know how some people make it through them all.

DAT 8/24/12:

PAT - 20
QR - 19
RC - 21
Bio - 22
GC - 21
OC - 27
TS - 23 (97.8%)
AA - 22 (97.0%)

This has really been an experience that feels soooo amazing to be done with.. I never took a full practice test and wow taking that test for 5 hrs I would never have wanted to put myself through that more than once.
I studied for 2 months, very heavily the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I did an overall review but was pretty relaxed. I trained my body to wake up early and go to sleep early since my test was set for 8:30 am. I got to the testing center at 7:40 and started my test right when I got there - the proctor was like "this is like a doctors office, we take you in right away." Whatever I got to finish earlier which was nice. Went to sleep at 9 last night.

Sciences
Bio - (22) - Read through Cliffs, then read through it a 2nd time taking notes. I used these notes throughout my bio studying. Went through Destroyer 3 times = best.
Did Qvault tests:
18 (used this as a diagnostic before I began studying) /21/20/20/20/23/21/27/19/(didn't take the last test)

Actual DAT - not bad, but I understand now what others meant by the wording of the questions being hard to understand. I did have some weird questions that I did not want to waste time on, so I just kept moving. Had 2 plant questions and 1 biological diversity question.

G Chem - (21) - Used Destroyer. Took the free qvault test and got a 24. I expected better in this section but i had some really tough calculations where I definitely missed those points. Kind of frustrating because that's what I practiced most and I don't think I got like any of them.. the answer choices weren't set up and the answers were pretty similar. Also I got the tougher calculations, not like PV=nRT but some strange ones. At this point I felt kind of out of it and thought I was gna pass out even, I really could have used some water. But I pushed myself through because I really wanted to get to that organic.
- Also it was kind of strange because usually during practice tests I would have an adrenaline rush and finish super early (for example, did every bio qvault in under 20 minutes) but on the actually test it felt too surreal that I didn't have that rush.

Orgo - (27) - Did this section in like 10 minutes. Didn't have time to check it over but I know which one I missed and it's such a dumb mistake because I was moving so fast but whatever. Used Destroyer and my class notes for this. Did the free qvault test and got a 26.

PAT - (20)
Ok. Really not as bad as I was expecting based on everyone's breakdowns. I was expecting a bit higher because I thought it actually went pretty well for what I was anticipating, but I did go down from CDP from my average of 23. I finished this section about 10 minutes early. Keyhole not too bad, different than CDP but still not too bad. Same with TFE - if you can do CDP you'll be fine. Angles a bit easier but some still hard to differentiate and holes MUCH easier. I got those 1/3 holes on two of them but SO not confusing very straightforward actually. Cubes was fine too. pattern folding is where I probably lost most of my points - very obscure shapes, not horrible though.

RC - (21)
Really not expecting this score as I only practiced with CDR and was doing terribly (17/17/19/18) on those 4 tests I took. Was just hoping for the best and thankfully I thought the real DAT was way easier than CDR. CDR did not have search and destroy type questions and the real dat did - but I didn't use this technique. I actually read the passages even though they ranged from 16-22 paragraphs long. Once you do this, the questions are so straightforward it's amazing. I spent 20 minutes on each passage.

QR - (19)
I used math destroyer for this and loved it - was a great study tool. I felt really prepared for this section and honestly the real test felt so easy in comparison it was like a joke. I finished 15 minutes early and never even did a timed practice test. (Did 9 tests in math destroyer just learning the material.) I was expecting a much higher score but honestly I don't care because this section doesn't really matter. But I have to say it was really easy, even if my score doesn't show it.

Well it's great to be done, thought I'd be wiped after the test but had a huge energy rush. Got in my car and just kept driving straight, totally in the wrong direction, but I was so out of it I wasn't paying attention to where I was going. Eventually I put my GPS on and got home ok.

Didn't use topscore, didn't use achiever, didn't do the 2009 ADA test or qvault for chem and orgo. I think if you read Cliffs and do destroyer and know your material you'll be good.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Best feeling to be done!!

Congratulations. Your did well. But i believe not everyone cannot do with w/o the practice problems. For many of us out there, if you do not do enough practice problems you will not do as well on dat. This is an exception to the rule. Anyways great job.

Congratulations. Your did well. But i believe not everyone cannot do with w/o the practice problems. For many of us out there, if you do not do enough practice problems you will not do as well on dat. This is an exception to the rule. Anyways great job.

:thumbup:

I went through pretty much every practice materials out there and I'm glad that I did. Wouldn't have gotten what I got without them.

Good job though. Gluck with your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
When u say use destroyer for o chem part do u meant that problems are similar ? Please share more info . Taking mine tomorrow thank u

Hey, I don't think he was saying that there was necessarily anything wrong with not using achiever, practice tests, etc... Just that he didn't need them! :)

I also never took a full practice test. I never timed myself on anything. I did not use topscore, achiever, or qvault. I thought destroyer was overkill, but I did it.

Am I a genius? No. I know others who are far smarter than me. However, I do have above average intelligence, as I'm confident everyone does with aspirations of dental school. ;)

Basically, what I think helped with my scores is that I studied "smartly." I've developed a knack over the years for studying for tests and determining what is important enough to show up. Also, I don't really think it is useful to spread oneself between a whole bunch of study materials but never fully learn any of them. I think it is smart to stick to one or two materials that are known to work, learn them cold, and not stress about any other random details that could theoretically show up. For this test, I think just the major concepts were enough.

Everyone has their own methods, and that is perfectly awesome. However, for those who are worried they are studying too few materials, I think this post would be very refreshing. I lurked these forums while I prepared and was scared to death that Chads, Cliffs, Destroyer, crack PAT, and KBB Bio wouldn't cover it. But they did!

Anyhow, congrats on your scores! Best of luck to you with the application process!

Thanks everyone! Like glimmer said, I don't consider myself a genius in any sense, I just think that it can be overwhelming to use so many practice materials and not completely focus your energy on the actual learning of the subjects. I found that by constantly reviewing the notes I had and by going through destroyer a bunch of times really solidified the information as opposed to worrying about completing every practice problem out there. Also, I took both semesters of physics this summer as I was studying for the dat, so maybe if I had more time I would have thought about buying additional material but I did not think it necessary. But honestly whatever works for you, go for it.

Viktoriya - I used it to get my mind thinking the way it did when I took the organic course in school and as practice but I found the actual dat questions easier and not as tricky. I only went through orgo destroyer once as opposed to the bio and gen chem sections that I went through multiple times. I looked at the roadmaps the night before my test as a review. Good luck on your test!

Hey, I don't think he was saying that there was necessarily anything wrong with not using achiever, practice tests, etc... Just that he didn't need them! :)

I also never took a full practice test. I never timed myself on anything. I did not use topscore, achiever, or qvault. I thought destroyer was overkill, but I did it.

Am I a genius? No. I know others who are far smarter than me. However, I do have above average intelligence, as I'm confident everyone does with aspirations of dental school. ;)

Basically, what I think helped with my scores is that I studied "smartly." I've developed a knack over the years for studying for tests and determining what is important enough to show up. Also, I don't really think it is useful to spread oneself between a whole bunch of study materials but never fully learn any of them. I think it is smart to stick to one or two materials that are known to work, learn them cold, and not stress about any other random details that could theoretically show up. For this test, I think just the major concepts were enough.

Everyone has their own methods, and that is perfectly awesome. However, for those who are worried they are studying too few materials, I think this post would be very refreshing. I lurked these forums while I prepared and was scared to death that Chads, Cliffs, Destroyer, crack PAT, and KBB Bio wouldn't cover it. But they did!

Anyhow, congrats on your scores! Best of luck to you with the application process!
This x100.

I didn't take practice tests. I know I'm a fast test taker so I wasn't concerned as far as time went. When it hit crunch time, I knew I was better just reviewing Chad's notes and doing destroyer that a practice wouldn't have helped. It just would have been 6 hours I could have spent doing chem practice problems.

That said, people complain about being short on time and if thats your issue, take all the tests you need to work on it. But in my case, I needed to review the material more than spend a lot of time in a simulated test.