8/3 test... need advice please!

Started by member232
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

member232

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

So I'm retaking August third, giving me about 1.5 weeks left. In January I got a 10-10-10 and need at least a 33 this time. I've been studying all summer and have followed a slightly tweaked version of Sn2ed's schedule... Because I'm retaking I don't have the AAMC tests to help me accurately gauge where I am at this point... I was hoping you guys could let me know how realistic my chances are at getting the 33 this time (please be brutally honest) and what I can do to optimize these last few days.

My BR chapter passages correlate to scores generally from 10-12 for all the sciences; and I've taken TBR CBT's for the following scores:

(P/V/B):
CBT 1: 11/12/13
CBT 2: 12/9/12
CBT 3: 13/10/12
CBT 4: 13/10/11

I'm cutting it pretty close to 33... should I be worried? I'm also a bit worried that I'm starting to lose my grasp on verbal... I'm averaging about a solid 6 hours of studying a day, should I be stepping this up? It's so hard to motivate myself to use those extra hours, I'm not looking to complain/looking for sympathy, but I need to know if I need a reality check and need to step it up to finish this off.

Any advice/input is greatly appreciated, thank you!!
 
Your composite scores on those tests are 36, 33, 35, and 34. Supposedly people score 2 points better on the real thing than on TBR tests. I'd say you're in good shape.

I wouldn't be too worried about verbal either. TBR's verbal isn't the best. Try using the AAMC verbal self-assessment, TPRH verbal workbook, and EK101 (obviously only whatever you haven't already used or wouldn't still remember).
 
Should I increase my hours of studying?

Also, for the verbal self-assessment, would you say the percentage x 40 qs correlates well to the AAMC 10 scoring guide?

I did the science self-assessments and got 87.5% OC, 90% GC, 89% Bio, 87 % Phys (but I did AAMC 6 about six months ago so these percentages are probably inflated)... I correlated these percentages to AAMC 10 and barely got a 12 in Physics and an 11 in Bio which kind of makes me nervous :/

Also, from my own experience and what other people say, Test Day score usually a +/-3 deal, and my January score was lower than my average for the sciences...
 
Should I increase my hours of studying?

Also, for the verbal self-assessment, would you say the percentage x 40 qs correlates well to the AAMC 10 scoring guide?

I did the science self-assessments and got 87.5% OC, 90% GC, 89% Bio, 87 % Phys (but I did AAMC 6 about six months ago so these percentages are probably inflated)... I correlated these percentages to AAMC 10 and barely got a 12 in Physics and an 11 in Bio which kind of makes me nervous :/

Also, from my own experience and what other people say, Test Day score usually a +/-3 deal, and my January score was lower than my average for the sciences...

Your average is 34.5. Add two points for TBR difficulty, now it's 36.5. Assume you bomb it and get 3 points lower, you still have a 33-34.

I've always heard the range pegged as +/- 2 though. In addition, let's not forget that you have test familiarity and a massive head start in studying going for you this time, so that should further stave off any plummeting scores like -3 lower. And let's not forget than this is a range we're talking about. You're equally as likely to get a 31.5 with your average as you are a 37.5.

It's fine to be cautious and anxious, but don't kill yourself trying to keep a 3 point buffer. It'll be great if you do it, but realize that trying to get 3 points higher than what you want on your practice tests implicitly assumes that you have to be a 36 student to get a 33, or a 39 student to get a 36. True, big score drops do happen. Problem is, there's no limit to how much you can drop on test day. There aren't any shortage of people out there who got 6+ points lower on the real thing than their average (I had a friend who averaged 35 on his AAMC practice tests, ended up with a 31 on the real thing). Somehow I doubt you're going to try to score a 39 on a practice test before you take it in hopes of getting a 33. At a certain point you just have to have faith that you're ready.