8 in verbal... workable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbujaMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
verbal.. how i hate you so!

anyways i go to a SUNY school in NY

3.95 science gpa, 3.93 total gpa.
MCAT- 31R -11 PS 12 BS 8 VR

pretty solid ec's- research, volunteering in hosp, tutoring (vol and for pay), community service stuff, leadership positions, summer premed shadowing internships..

the 8 certainly annoys me but i was only averaging 9 so oh well
I'm looking at suny med schools and mid tier private schools in ny, pa and ma

So my first question is obviously: am i ok? Im hoping my gpa ec can make up for my 8.

Second- how successful are 8s in verbals in general? I know we're in an age where medical schools are caring more about the broad applicant and not the straight science students but 8 is sort of a gray zone.. a 9 is fine and a 7 is a most likely retake.. so anyone have success or failure stories?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't think you can improve it to a 10, don't bother retaking. The 11 and 12 are pretty volatile scores, and a 31 overall is just fine.

Your list has quite a few reaches on it. You might trim some of those unless you really want to go to all of them. Also, add some more schools within your range like SLU, Tulane, and some of the VA schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't think you can improve it to a 10, don't bother retaking. The 11 and 12 are pretty volatile scores, and a 31 overall is just fine.

Your list has quite a few reaches on it. You might trim some of those unless you really want to go to all of them. Also, add some more schools within your range like SLU, Tulane, and some of the VA schools.

It is more likely that I can get a 9 on verbal but who knows i may get another 8. I figure its smarter for me to apply early than to retake it for a realistic increase by 2 points. I didnt want to go too far from home and i figured i might as well apply to all the ny schools.. i know columbia cornell and brown are pretty big reaches but i should be ok for state schools at the very least, right? especially with my gpa?

Apply to Wayne State. They forgive you if you have a low score in one section, but a high GPA, good LORs and good EC's, which is why I am sure you would get in...

i should be ok for state schools at the very least, right? especially with my gpa?
I don't see why not. The 8 isn't so disparate from your other scores that it'll raise eybrows. I agree about Wayne State, though. That's a good one to add.

Advice please!

I am in a similar situation: I got a 31: 8 vr 10 Phys and 13 Bio Q. I don't know if I should retake it

I speak English as my primary language. I didn't take any Physics classes bc I took the AP test, but I was hoping to do better on phys as well. I have 3.9, neuroscience research, lots of volunteering, and two international medical trips. My dream school is Mayo, but I am willing to go to other schools, should I retake?

Side note...I took the test at the Prometric Testing Center in Chicago and got stuck in the stairwell on the 16th floor before verbal. Every door was locked and I had to run down 16 flights of stairs, take an elevator back up, then sit in line to get into the testing room. I tried to take a few deep breaths to calm down... but verbal was a blur. VR was always my weak point, but I sometime scored 12,13,11 on practice tests... I really do not want to retake, because I plan to apply early and I don't know if I can reproduce a 13 in bio.

p.s. if you are wondering why I was in the stairwell during the MCAT: My friend who got a 38 T had "walked-off" each section in the stairwell to focus completely on the next section.

p.s. if you are wondering why I was in the stairwell during the MCAT: My friend who got a 38 T had "walked-off" each section in the stairwell to focus completely on the next section.

gah... dude...

ps - i don't see the need for either of you to retake. just apply early and broadly.

my verbal was 7, overall 31R nonscience and science gpa both: 3.86

from CA
12 interview invites (Suny Downstate declined)
attended 9 interviews (UVM, Miami, Vandy, UC Davis, SUNY Buff, UIC, Drexel...)
5 waitlists (even Vandy in small pool waitlist a top 20 school!!! but 2 postinterview rejections (probably because of low verbal/mediocre interviews)
2 acceptances (all middle tier schools)

So with verbal 7 or 8, you are at significant disadvantage but be REALLY prepared to defend why you have low verbal score in your interview/application (I rocked in humanities classes/publications was my excuse)

Also you are likely to be on waitlist even if you rock the interviews so apply broadly.

Apply to Wayne State. They forgive you if you have a low score in one section, but a high GPA, good LORs and good EC's, which is why I am sure you would get in...

ditto. i got in with an 8

I got a 6 on verbal and got into med school. It's doable....but its not a pleasant ride.

I got a 25 Q overall, 8 BS, 8VR, 9PS and didn't bother applying. I'm scheduled to retake on saturday :0

Could I have gotten in anywhere with that score? I have 3.75 BCMP, good LORs and LOTS of experience. A WHOLE LOT from research to ER scribing to 100s of shadowing hours

Im trying to get into Med college of Virginia (MCV) or U of cincinnati

my verbal was 7, overall 31R nonscience and science gpa both: 3.86

from CA
12 interview invites (Suny Downstate declined)
attended 9 interviews (UVM, Miami, Vandy, UC Davis, SUNY Buff, UIC, Drexel...)
5 waitlists (even Vandy in small pool waitlist a top 20 school!!! but 2 postinterview rejections (probably because of low verbal/mediocre interviews)
2 acceptances (all middle tier schools)

So with verbal 7 or 8, you are at significant disadvantage but be REALLY prepared to defend why you have low verbal score in your interview/application (I rocked in humanities classes/publications was my excuse)

Also you are likely to be on waitlist even if you rock the interviews so apply broadly.

I also got a 7 in VR. I ended up 7VR, 12PS, 13BS, P writing. 32P overall with a 3.7Overall GPA and 3.5BCPM.

I got 5 interview invites (SUNY Downstate, UVM, Drexel, UofA, & VCU).
I have 2 acceptances, Drexel and VCU, and waitlists at UVM and SUNY Downstate. Just write a great PS, and good EC's.

i got into temple with an 8VR (10PS/11BS/WS:T)
the T helped but so do ECs and the interview is crucial (overall performance) also apply IS .. it's your best bet if you want to go allopathic .. do not rule out osteopathic paths they're great .. some are even better than some other allopathic schools

I got into top 10 schools. if other aspects look good, then you should be fine. Make sure your PS is superb!

Last edited:
I got into top 10 schools with a 8 verbal. if other aspects look good, then you should be fine. Make sure your PS is superb!

this is just about the greatest thing i have heard all day. thank you.