8 years in prison for pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ornithoptor

long time observer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacist in meningitis outbreak gets 8 years in prison

Glenn Chin the pharmacist just gotten 8 years behind bars, while owner Cadden got 9.

What do everyone think?
Too tough, too lenient?
Who is more responsible?

For the pharmacists who work with company which constantly making demand to create value by cutting corners; would you get up and quit, or imagine to be in the same position as this pharmacist?

Don't forget UCLA compounding pharmacy got caught providing expired meds......

When do you say enough is enough to your boss? Should you balance your moral and value with number of kids or car payments you have or jobs available in the market? How are we protected being whistleblower in pharmacy world? Or blow the whistle after we secure another job.

Are we still 2nd most trusted profession?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It’s better than the 35 years he could’ve gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Lets say they tell you "its no big deal, thats what we've always done and the state board has never said anything before."
The place has been open for 30 years, and no patients have gotten sick from this before. Obviously lots of pharmacists have come and gone before you and never said anything. Of course in these cases its never a "big deal" until something happens or someone gets hurt, but what are you going to do about it with loans and a poor job market?

Members don't see this ad :)
Muh loans
Muh saturation

Does nobody have grit and integrity anymore?

Reactions: 3 users
Lets say they tell you "its no big deal, thats what we've always done and the state board has never said anything before."
The place has been open for 30 years, and no patients have gotten sick from this before. Obviously lots of pharmacists have come and gone before you and never said anything. Of course in these cases its never a "big deal" until something happens or someone gets hurt, but what are you going to do about it with loans and a poor job market?

That’s not quite the case if I recall correctly. They had been cited multiple times for multiple violations.

Better to get fired, than to kill someone. Of course, there are gray areas on bad workplaces, I'm sure we've all worked days that were crazy busy--in workplace will have unexpectedly high workload days. But to work in a place that is clearly breaking the law, or clearly ignoring sterile protocol, double so when talking about intrathecal or eye medicines, or to work in a place where the workload is always undoable....no, I would get out of such a place ASAP. Manslaughter is still illegal, whether one has bills and loans or not.

Reactions: 4 users
The problem is that most health care workers are too invested in the system such that they become sheeple about these things. We've been getting some training on how to spot compromised employees (which easily can be used as whistleblower retaliation training) and basically identify the broad groups of people that you can have leverage over:
1. High debt loads
2. Large families
3. Hidden addictions and perversions (and yes, we even got pointers on how to look for this)
4. Low engagement

People who think they can save an institution are destroyed by it. Only those who worry about themselves first and their objectives second can stand a chance of reforming the place if that happens to be an objective. That said, do you think most people would screw up a good thing? No. The calculus of it is that the likelihood that authority would make an inquiry into what you do is low, and the likelihood that it'll be sustained is even lower as long as you are not stupid enough to leave a paper trail.

The best defense (and probably only) for the worker under this circumstance is to choose who they sell their labor to, but that isn't a good defense if everyone essentially works for the same employer. For instance, if you are in GIS, you either work directly or indirectly for the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency either through grants, data transfers, use of ARC/GIS, etc. So, there is a level of co-opting into the swamp. Unless you want to be sociopathic enough to change the system, you have to compromise on your principles somewhere. However for now, it is quite possible to work in an environment that is sane, but too many people are willing to accept less, so they get what they asked for. You never get what you deserve, you only get what you can negotiate.

And for certain jobs, they do look at student debt status and if they are likely to need the job more than vice-versa such that the employer can use them for sacrificial purposes since the employee gets what they want, and the employer gets what they want out of the employment relationship. If you know you can be leveraged, you need to take special precautions against finding an employer willing to exploit your weakness.

Still though, 8 years for basically being a mass murderer. Not bad, you get longer for vehicular homicide. Such is the nature of class differences before naked justice. Glad we're on the beneficiary side of that relationship.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes you need to know when to tell your boss to F off.

Still though, 8 years for basically being a mass murderer. Not bad, you get longer for vehicular homicide. Such is the nature of class differences before naked justice. Glad we're on the beneficiary side of that relationship.

Your point is well taken but "mass murderer" is a bridge too far. "Mass negligent homicide committer" at best, though it lacks a certain ring to it.

Reactions: 1 user
Your point is well taken but "mass murderer" is a bridge too far. "Mass negligent homicide committer" at best, though it lacks a certain ring to it.

"Human Hulk Hoganator"

I could agree in the legal sense. In the moral, it takes one to know one, and I can't see anything but depraved indifference. How can one be so ignorant that a mess of a lab would not end well for patients for intrathecals? That crosses the line into murderer for me, and mass murderer from the effective number of very painful deaths due to him (and yes, I did see some of the patients in MN). It's past negligence but not provable. That said, he'll have the rest of his life to consider his actions.

Well, while killing many, they were helping many others. It’s a net bad thing, but closer to neutral than a drunk driver who’s helping no one.

Reactions: 1 user
i do not really follow the case- so is he the only pharmacist that gets tagged because he was the PIC? what about the others who worked there?

i do not really follow the case- so is he the only pharmacist that gets tagged because he was the PIC? what about the others who worked there?
Lost their licenses for sure. I haven’t heard anything after that.