86ing the Internship Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was told not to use the title "doctoral candidate" even in academic circles until I am preparing for my dissertation defense. Even to those of us who know what the term means, we're not near "candidacy" for a doctorate until that point. It would really be stretching the term to use it when we are still in classes/ haven't gotten a masters/ haven't passed comps.

This slightly misses the point. The issue is not when you technically can or cannot call yourself "docotoral candidate." It's an academic distinction, and of course you're not one until you have been officially advanced to candidacy.

The ethical issue has to do with using the title publicly (eg, with clients/patients, their family members, the press, etc). Even if it's technically true that you are a "doctoral candidate," the ethical argument is that the general public may not understand the nuance of this term and, as a result, think you already have your doctorate.

So moral of the story? Use the term academically, but not in clinical contexts.

Members don't see this ad.

My recollection is that the Canadian Psych Association looks down on using "doctoral candidate" for just that reason, LM.

This slightly misses the point. The issue is not when you technically can or cannot call yourself "docotoral candidate." It's an academic distinction, and of course you're not one until you have been officially advanced to candidacy.

The ethical issue has to do with using the title publicly (eg, with clients/patients, their family members, the press, etc). Even if it's technically true that you are a "doctoral candidate," the ethical argument is that the general public may not understand the nuance of this term and, as a result, think you already have your doctorate.

So moral of the story? Use the term academically, but not in clinical contexts.

I'm not trying to argue where the greater issue lies, I was just making the point that graduate students are uneducated about the issue of calling themselves a "doctoral candidate" in both academic and public circles. I've seen first-year students put that phrase in their email signatures, and I think that is a problem that is separate from, but related to, the issue of what happens on internship. If students have been calling themselves a "doctoral candidate" from year one, they aren't likely to stop.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd never heard that "Doctoral candidate" was bad before. Maybe it makes sense, though I'm not convinced anyone with even a middle school education would assume it meant you already had a doctorate.

I usually just say "PhD student". Haven't defended my master's yet, but I think its still accurate since I was accepted to a PhD program - haven't heard any complaints yet.

I was told to refer to myself as a PhD or doctoral student in clinical situations, even though I don't have my Masters yet.

I usually just say "PhD student". Haven't defended my master's yet, but I think its still accurate since I was accepted to a PhD program - haven't heard any complaints yet.

In non-psych doctoral programs you are not elligible for your phd until you defend your thesis. I cringe when I see all of the "doctoral candidate" variants out there. I really believe the title is earned.

I heard of a nice tradition at one internship site where the last day of the program the students hand in their last timesheets to be signed, and then at 5:01pm they are welcomed as Dr. So and so (if they have defended and just their degree is pending). I feel like that is earned as the officially turn over their "psych intern" title.

APPIC and APA are clear that it is a violation of accreditation standards to use the title "Dr." until you have completed any required internship and been granted the degree by your program. While thesis committee's can welcome you back into the room as "Dr." when you pass your orals,as a matter of tradition, you are not legitimately using the title in a clinical context until both the internship is complete and the degree granted after completion. Schools and sites that encourage this are violating professional standards.

Thanks for the clarification, docma. That sounds about right.

I think it's fine to use doctoral/PhD student once you're in grad school. However, "doctoral candidate" shouldn't be used until you have officially advanced to candidacy. Certain grad schools even give a C.Phil. degree (Candidate in Philosophy) to officiate this status as "ABD."

I don't see why doctoral candidate is inappropriate to use in clinical contexts; the meaning of the word "candidate" is clear in English, even if the details of what that entails aren't. Though I don't know why you would ever introduce yourself or sign a report as such. I think "student psychologist" or "psychologist in training" seems appropriate, following the medical school model of "student doctor" during residency.

Standard is to sign charts, etc., "Jane Doe, Psychology Intern" or Jane Doe, M.S, Psychology Intern" (or whatever clinically relevant degree has been granted plus Psychology Intern) Supervisors then provide the license counter-sign

In non-psych doctoral programs you are not elligible for your phd until you defend your thesis. I cringe when I see all of the "doctoral candidate" variants out there. I really believe the title is earned.

How is this addressed in schools where you get the PhD without a master's? Psych isn't the only field where you aren't "required" to get your master's on the way to the PhD.

At least here, we are formally enrolled as PhD students, not master's students even if we are getting the degree on the way. That's what it says if you look us up in official records, so I intend to continue using it:) Frankly, someone admitted to a PhD program calling themselves a master's student seems more misleading...if I were to say that, I think 90% of people would assume it meant I was in a terminal program.

APPIC and APA are clear that it is a violation of accreditation standards to use the title "Dr." until you have completed any required internship and been granted the degree by your program. While thesis committee's can welcome you back into the room as "Dr." when you pass your orals,as a matter of tradition, you are not legitimately using the title in a clinical context until both the internship is complete and the degree granted after completion. Schools and sites that encourage this are violating professional standards.

That certainly makes sense to me. It's funny how much people can get away with at some sites.