9 on BS section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSTPforMe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people get into MSTPs with a 9 on BS? Based on the MSAR, a 9 puts me 1-2 points below the 10th percentile in BS. As there seem to be around 10 MSTP students per program, doesn't that mean that none of them scored a 9 or lower (10th percentile of 10-11 would suggest the worst score on BS was a 10-11)?

Edit: I scored 33 overal on MCAT with 15 PS/9 VR/9 BS.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will they not "forgive" if my academic record demonstrates that I am able to perform in biology? I think it is too late to retake for this cycle and, as I am already in the middle of it, I don't want to abandon it just because of a fluke on 1 section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do people get into MSTPs with a 9 on BS? Based on the MSAR, a 9 puts me 1-2 points below the 10th percentile in BS. As there seem to be around 10 MSTP students per program, doesn't that mean that none of them scored a 9 or lower (10th percentile of 10-11 would suggest the worst score on BS was a 10-11)?

Edit: I scored 33 overal on MCAT with 15 PS/9 VR/9 BS.

I got a 34 MCAT with 14 PS/11VR/9 BS and got admitted MSTP to a "top" program. My GPA was good but not great and I was not Ivy League or anything like that. Just tons of research (no pubs).

I got a 34 MCAT with 14 PS/11VR/9 BS and got admitted MSTP to a "top" program. My GPA was good but not great and I was not Ivy League or anything like that. Just tons of research (no pubs).

Thanks so much for this response! It makes me feel so much better about my fluke. I do have a high GPA at a "top" school and tons of research with some publications. I have applied pretty broadly already but would like to add a few "top" schools to my list. What do you think about this?

Thanks so much for this response! It makes me feel so much better about my fluke. I do have a high GPA at a "top" school and tons of research with some publications. I have applied pretty broadly already but would like to add a few "top" schools to my list. What do you think about this?

It sounds like you have a strong application but MSTPs are competitive so apply broadly. Apply to as many "strong" schools as you want if you don't mind writing some extra essays. Just be sure to apply to a lot of MSTPs in general and don't be shy about programs just because your friends haven't heard of them. The vast majority of MSTP programs are exceptional...period. You might not be a good fit at some programs because they all have their own personality, but that's why you interview. If you have a great GPA and have years of research with publications, you can apply wherever you want with an MCAT of 33. I had buddies get multiple MSTP offers with MCATs lower than yours and they didn't have pubs or anything. The best thing you can do right now is to apply as early as possible. It makes a big difference. After that, interview at programs and find one that you love, then work hard and always maintain and nurture your love for research.

Reactions: 1 user