9 VR 10 BS 10 PS Q... Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applying2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT scores are in the title. My BCPM GPA is 3.65 and All-Other GPA is 3.58 (3.61 Overall). I have already submitted my AMCAS application. Do I stand a chance at getting in? Should I take the MCAT again in August?... Would that be too late to make a difference this cycle? Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

An August MCAT might be too late for this cycle. I would stick with what you've got and apply very broadly. Think about including some DO schools in your list.

If you are a resident of Georgia and included your least selective state school, I'd say you certainly have a chance. If you want a better chance of an acceptance in just one cycle, I'd agree you should also apply to some DO schools, especially the one in your state. If you aren't getting any love by Novemember, maybe then consider studying for and retaking the MCAT in January so you are ready to go for the next cycle. Great extracurriculars could trump your lowish stats. Meanwhile, live the next year as if you're sure you'll be reapplying, shoring up weak points in your application, raising your GPA if you're still a student, getting in more community service and clinical experience, leadership or research if not already acquired, etc. Update letters you send to your favored schools detailing improvements you've made may be enough to help get you an interview if they pass you by on the first evaluation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What else do you have going on? Excellant LORs, a well written PS, and lots of good research/clincial/work experience can make those numbers workable. What makes you unique to help bump up those median numbers?

What else do you have going on? Excellant LORs, a well written PS, and lots of good research/clincial/work experience can make those numbers workable. What makes you unique to help bump up those median numbers?
I am pretty sure that my LORs will be good. I am a good writer and had several drafts of my PS and had several people look over it and help me with it, so I think that is good too.
As far as experience goes, I haven't done research but I volunteer in an ER. I'm shadowing a cardiologist, but didn't start it in time to put on my AMCAS (I wanted to submit it as early as possible but didn't list it incase it didn't happen), so I'm hoping I can work it into my secondaries somehow. I held officer positions in a few organizations at school, mentored, and received an award for being the top senior in my major.
I also worked to support myself during most of college as a nanny.
Do you think these things might help me at all?

I had your MCAT, but a 3.51 overall, 3.47 at application. Its not much lower, but it is lower, I'll admit. That said, the only MD school I had a "bite" from was Jefferson. You can look at my MDApps. You'd have a lot of success with DO schools if you don't mind going that route.

I applied with almost you exact stats...my sGPA was 3.62 and my cGPA was 3.63 and had a 29Q with the same breakdown. I had some good EC's but only one real spectacular experience....I applied broadly and I applied DO as well...I got a DO acceptance in early December and 3 MD interviews of which 1 turned into an acceptance and I am currently on a waitlist...I got flat out rejected at the 3rd. I would say I feel pretty lucky based on what I saw on SDN, but I can tell you that I also have two friends, one who got a 29 and one who got a 27 who had similar GPA's (albeit a bit higher) who got in to MD schools as well...BTW we are all NY residents and none of us were URMs. Hope this helps!

I am pretty sure that my LORs will be good. I am a good writer and had several drafts of my PS and had several people look over it and help me with it, so I think that is good too.
As far as experience goes, I haven't done research but I volunteer in an ER. I'm shadowing a cardiologist, but didn't start it in time to put on my AMCAS (I wanted to submit it as early as possible but didn't list it incase it didn't happen), so I'm hoping I can work it into my secondaries somehow. I held officer positions in a few organizations at school, mentored, and received an award for being the top senior in my major.
I also worked to support myself during most of college as a nanny.
Do you think these things might help me at all?
Absolutely. It's a shame that so many schools are so numbers based. Your numbers are in the same boat as mine, right about average. At that point, you gotta have good EC's to make adcoms curious and want to interview. Pretty much everyone will say "apply broadly and definitely to every school in your state". I wish you the best of luck though!