90 semester hours question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loteyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I'm a Canadian student doing my first application to US dental schools and alot of them say students need 90 semester hours... I do believe I know what that means, but my question is:

Do I need 90 semester hours by the time I apply (this June) or do I need 90 semester hours total before I get accepted?

My problem is, I know 90 semester hours is equivalent to taking 30 classes... And I just finished my third year and am done only 27... And will be doing one spring class to get up to 28...
BUT I don't have the 30 classes by the time I apply in June, I will get it after this next semester (September to December)...
So my question is, can I still apply and be accepted? Or since I don't have those 90 semester hours at the time of application, that I won't get an interview or even considered?

Thanks
Kase

Members don't see this ad.

I can't find the answer to my question in your posts. Can you please be more clear? I understand that my chances are very slim being Canadian AND not having a degree. But my stats are pretty respectable and according the modified UTHSCSA formula and your thread about school rank, I have a 13.984. Please let me know if you know about the semester hours
Thanks doc toothache

You seem to have a great deal of difficulty understanding what it is that you are reading. There are a limited number of schools that are explicit in their requirements prior to application, while all of them list their requirements for admission, which are expected to be completed before matriculation. The 90 semester minimum requirement claim by some is moot since the number of dental schools accepting applicants without a degree is exceedingly small.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...age-predental-education-of-enrollees.1070379/