95% an A-?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the AMCAS, the A- is a 3.7. It doesn't matter what it is at your school.
Yes it does. At my school, all As, whether they are 105%, 90%, or even 85% in a curved class, are reported on my transcript as "A". All of them. Period.

So all of my As are worth a 4.0. All my Bs are worth 3.0. AMCAS has like a 20 page PDF of different schools grading standards and how it weighs the grades based on how *your university* does it.

Members don't see this ad.

Complete *****. Don't listen to this guy. Go and get the A you deserve. This isn't about what's "important," it's about what's right.

Lol i'm not gonna condescend to your level to start name calling. Do you remember the A- you got in 9th grade instead of an A+ in your history quiz? Normal pple wldn't care now, but you prob still do since its all about whats right for you. Lol what a sad life.
I stand by my statement: An A is an A is an A is an A.... Move on with your life.

Yes it does. At my school, all As, whether they are 105%, 90%, or even 85% in a curved class, are reported on my transcript as "A". All of them. Period.

So all of my As are worth a 4.0. All my Bs are worth 3.0. AMCAS has like a 20 page PDF of different schools grading standards and how it weighs the grades based on how *your university* does it.
If your school gives a 4.0 to an A-, then you will have a 3.7 on the AMCAS. If your school gives you a 4.0 for an A- and reports it as an A, then you will have a 4.0 on the AMCAS. AAMC weights your transcript letter grades to their standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
A+ for effort, huh?

If the number is 95% and the cutoff is 92%, she is not right. There is neither discussion nor valid argument to be had or made in regards to this. The entire point of a numerical grading system is to achieve a somewhat objective system of measurement and appraisal and to avoid subjective nonsense like "OH YOU TRIED SOOOOO HARD!!!" or "I DON'T LIKE YOU!" Something that, if the OP is correct in his calculations, the TA failed to do.

See her in person. If she refuses to give you a satisfactory answer, tell her you'll take it to the top and do so.

See I dont understand where this cutoff nonsense is coming from. Where in the OPs post does it say there is any sort of cutoff for any grade? Believe it or not, some classes dont have hard cutoffs like that and teachers look at improvement, participation, etc to assign grades. Teachers, in general, want to see us succeed and have a good chance for the future. So if someone bombs a midterm or a paper, but redeems oneself on a final, the benefit of the odubt is given. If yo u do really well on the first paper/midterm, then clearly show a decreased performance on the final, then that says something too. Finally, I dont see how this practice differs so significantly from the concept of a curve. Just because you got 35/100 and everyone else got a 20/100, does that mean yo ushould get an A+ even though you failed it? If I took the same test and got a 90/100 should you get failed too? Curves are subjective measures that compare your performance to the rest of the class; similarly, grades indicate your knowledge of a subject relative to where the teacher feels it should be.

To the OP: Before you go too far over the TAs head, consider this: Most professors (at least at my school) dont like grade grubbing. At all. They are very hesitant to disagree with a TA or cause any trouble because it creates a great deal of paperwork and hassle for them that they dont want or benefit from. So dont involve anyone you ever hope to get a letter of rec from and dont be a bitch about it if you do decide to do it because you will be very suprised at how fast rumors/stories spread in departments amongst TAs and their PIs.

Last edited:
the grades could be assigned on a non-standard scale

I got a B+ in a class for which I averaged a 94%. I told the prof, and it turned out that he just made the grading scale such that very very few ended up in the A-range, so that "an A would mean more than usual."

It happens.

LOL. I feel like a tool cuz I just emailed the professor for a two-credit religion GE class about changing my grade from an A- to an A, just because he originally promised not to give A-'s, just A's. Doing so happens to bring me above a GPA cutoff for a scholarship, so I felt justified, kind of.

Last edited:
See I dont understand where this cutoff nonsense is coming from. Where in the OPs post does it say there is any sort of cutoff for any grade? Believe it or not, some classes dont have hard cutoffs like that and teachers look at improvement, participation, etc to assign grades. Teachers, in general, want to see us succeed and have a good chance for the future. So if someone bombs a midterm or a paper, but redeems oneself on a final, the benefit of the odubt is given. If yo u do really well on the first paper/midterm, then clearly show a decreased performance on the final, then that says something too. Finally, I dont see how this practice differs so significantly from the concept of a curve. Just because you got 35/100 and everyone else got a 20/100, does that mean yo ushould get an A+ even though you failed it? If I took the same test and got a 90/100 should you get failed too? Curves are subjective measures that compare your performance to the rest of the class; similarly, grades indicate your knowledge of a subject relative to where the teacher feels it should be.

To the OP: Before you go too far over the TAs head, consider this: Most professors (at least at my school) dont like grade grubbing. At all. They are very hesitant to disagree with a TA or cause any trouble because it creates a great deal of paperwork and hassle for them that they dont want or benefit from. So dont involve anyone you ever hope to get a letter of rec from and dont be a bitch about it if you do decide to do it because you will be very suprised at how fast rumors/stories spread in departments amongst TAs and their PIs.

No offense, but I completely disagree with this. Grade trends or "feelings" should not factor into a student's final grade. (Unless it has been stated in the syllabus.) If a student gets a 95, a 90, and a 85 on his midterms his final grade should not be affected by the downward trend. He deserves the grade that he earned.

the grades could be assigned on a non-standard scale

I got a B+ in a class for which I averaged a 94%. I told the prof, and it turned out that he just made the grading scale such that very very few ended up in the A-range, so that "an A would mean more than usual."

It happens.

Yeah, but that still sucks. 94% is quite an accomplishment. Professors like that don't seem to understand that while you generally need a B+/A- average to be solid for med school, you don't, and shouldn't, have to achieve perfect scores to get into med school or to be a good doctor. They're making it harder than real life. People get C's in med school and still get to be doctors. When profs have rediculously high cutoffs for an A, they're often being selfish and trying to feed their own egos.

Last edited:
No offense, but I completely disagree with this. Grade trends or "feelings" should not factor into a student's final grade. (Unless it has been stated in the syllabus.) If a student gets a 95, a 90, and a 85 on his midterms his final grade should not be affected by the downward trend. He deserves the grade that he earned.

Do you believe in curves as well? Curves take into account class trends rather than an individual's performance, which can (and does) lead to unfair results at times.

Do you believe in curves as well? Curves take into account class trends rather than an individual's performance, which can (and does) lead to unfair results at times.

Curves are fair because they are applied to the entire class rather than just one individual. Determining that an individual student's downward trend should cost him the A that he objectively earned is not fair since it's only being applied to one individual.

Complete *****. Don't listen to this guy. Go and get the A you deserve. This isn't about what's "important," it's about what's right.

There's nothing right about whining over a grade the teacher felt you didn't deserve. Especially the trivial difference between an A- and an A. Try and get the big picture.

There's nothing right about whining over a grade the teacher felt you didn't deserve. Especially the trivial difference between an A- and an A. Try and get the big picture.

What world do you live in? See I live on Earth, where grades are EARNED and not given out based on the subjective reasoning of a highly educated but underpaid university employee. If the student meets the PRE-DETERMINED criteria for EARNING a certain grade based on their work, then what a professor or the professors bi*ch(the TA) thinks you "deserve" doesn't matter at all. In fact, I'm willing to bet the OP's university has a policy in place as do most colleges, which state that the grading rubric and criteria must be clearly defined and established in the syllabus prior to the start of class. So in this case, if the OP has met those requirements for an A, and not an A-, then the OPINION of the Professor or TA means absolutely JACK ****!

Members don't see this ad :)
What world do you live in? See I live on Earth, where grades are EARNED and not given out based on the subjective reasoning of a highly educated but underpaid university employee. If the student meets the PRE-DETERMINED criteria for EARNING a certain grade based on their work, then what a professor or the professors bi*ch(the TA) thinks you "deserve" doesn't matter at all. In fact, I'm willing to bet the OP's university has a policy in place as do most colleges, which state that the grading rubric and criteria must be clearly defined and established in the syllabus prior to the start of class. So in this case, if the OP has met those requirements for an A, and not an A-, then the OPINION of the Professor or TA means absolutely JACK ****!

Lol only on sdn. You guys are crazyyyy!! Making such a big deal btw an A and an A. Mayb the TA saw something (eg attitude/so many other factors that could factor into the grade determination) about the OP that we dont know about...maybe!! But then, she gave the OP an A rite?? Not a B, C, D or F!! An A!!!! Jeeezz!!! Chillllll!! What the heck. lol why are you gettin all worked up over a deserved A+ instead of an A-!!!!!!!

You can go politely talk to her or not, but for some perspective:

Conservatively, you'll take at least 4 classes a semester for 8 semesters. So the impact of this on your GPA is:
[SIZE=+1]0.009375[/SIZE]

If I were you, I would probably go talk to her once, but I wouldn't go over her head for something this small, particularly if you're going to take another class with her. Also, you will be more convincing if you are less invested in it - don't go in thinking that you have Justice on your side.

Don't go up to her, suck it up for now. Wait until the next class you take with her is over. If she gives you another A- you don't deserve then ** her up. Otherwise try to stay on her good side for now. This comes from personal experience.

:)

Otherwise try to stay on her good side for now. This comes from personal experience.
:)

It definitely pays to stay on the TA's good side. There are so many ways the TA can make your life hard if you don't. I wish more people realized this.

You can go politely talk to her or not, but for some perspective:

Conservatively, you'll take at least 4 classes a semester for 8 semesters. So the impact of this on your GPA is:
[SIZE=+1]0.009375[/SIZE]

If you're a journalism major and want to get a job, the difference between an A- and an A doesn't matter. If you're a chemistry student looking to get into a Masters program, the difference between an A- and an A doesn't matter.

But applying to med school it DOES matter. The philosophy of "it's just a 1/3 letter grade difference" would equate to a GPA drop of 0.33 when you extend it over the academic career. Even if that philosophy only affects a third of your grades it's still a full 0.1 point drop. Med school admissions are competitive and people need the grades they earn to make themselves as competitive as possible.

I'm so thankful I never had one of those badly designed classes where the thresholds for A- or A are different than the nationally assumed standard. When you see A- you think 90-92. In the absence of any other information, that is the default assumption. That someone could have a 95 or 96 and get an A- means that they are getting a letter grade that deceives others trying to interpret their grade. Again, med school admissions are competitive. Your school should feel obligated to at least offer you appropriate representation of your academic performance.

If you're a journalism major and want to get a job, the difference between an A- and an A doesn't matter. If you're a chemistry student looking to get into a Masters program, the difference between an A- and an A doesn't matter.

But applying to med school it DOES matter. The philosophy of "it's just a 1/3 letter grade difference" would equate to a GPA drop of 0.33 when you extend it over the academic career. Even if that philosophy only affects a third of your grades it's still a full 0.1 point drop. Med school admissions are competitive and people need the grades they earn to make themselves as competitive as possible.

I'm so thankful I never had one of those badly designed classes where the thresholds for A- or A are different than the nationally assumed standard. When you see A- you think 90-92. In the absence of any other information, that is the default assumption. That someone could have a 95 or 96 and get an A- means that they are getting a letter grade that deceives others trying to interpret their grade. Again, med school admissions are competitive. Your school should feel obligated to at least offer you appropriate representation of your academic performance.

Yea, and the key word which you used was grades that you EARNED. Students are not awarded grades, and they dont "deserve" grades. The student earns a grade based on his/her ability to demonstrate knowledge of the material.

My analogy still stands once again. If you worked 40 hours this week at $20.00/hour, the set rate which you agreed to work for prior to being hired...and at the end of the week your boss said ya know what, even though you worked 40 hours and did the work, I didn't really like your attitude too much, so I only think you deserve $18.50/hour for this week, heres your check. Not a single person with any self respect would go for something like that. It is much less about the grade, and much more about a lowly scut level employee trying to spite you for any number of subjective reasons and you needing to stand up for yourself on principle.

I'd love to work with some of you. I'd take advantage of you every day because I know you'd bend over and take it without saying a word.

If the OP earned an A, he/she deserves an A, not an A-. Assuming there is no curve - even if there was, I doubt a 95% would be an A- - then the OP is right in the justification.

From the standpoint of the look of an A versus an A-, it may not be that big of a deal. But what if it comes down to getting summa cum laude versus magna cum laude? Then would it be a big deal?

I'd love to work with some of you. I'd take advantage of you every day because I know you'd bend over and take it without saying a word.

If the OP earned an A, he/she deserves an A, not an A-. Assuming there is no curve - even if there was, I doubt a 95% would be an A- - then the OP is right in the justification.

From the standpoint of the look of an A versus an A-, it may not be that big of a deal. But what if it comes down to getting summa cum laude versus magna cum laude? Then would it be a big deal?

So is this a personal directive or is what they say about UVA true?

And I have had curves that made it impossible to get As (ie I had the highest point sum and got an A-). Curves are bs, but thats what we get for being premed.

Lol I wldnt like to work with you. You're not getting what some of us are trying to say.
In non-issues like this, sure we can let it pass. Think long term, the OP will take another class with the same TA...u hav to put that into consideration.
Yes, the OP is rite in his justification, he deserved his A+ but then..really...take a moment to think about it....is it that important? Sometimes you hav to fight for it, sometimes you just hav to let it go. I think this is one of those times that it really doesnt matter that much.
And the whole money/working analogy is not applicable here..thats something totally diff.
It seems that we'll just have to agree to disagree here :D

Last edited:
The problem here is that the OP has to take the same TA AGAIN next quarter. If he didn't, I'd say go for it and report her. Trust me, if he reports her, she is going to have a vendetta and she can definitely screw him over next quarter to make sure he doesn't get a high grade especially if there are subjective assignments in the class. As a TA, I've seen this happen before. Right now it's best to continue to try and work with her to get her to explain how the grade was calculated. A polite email asking to meet up to get clarification about the grade should do the trick. OP, let us know what she says. If you feel really strongly about it and want to go over her head, then do NOT take the same TA next quarter. Drop the class if you can and take it in Spring.

this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

as for OP, sounds like this guy is the type of total d-bag who probably argued with the TA for a point or two on every quiz or test and she probably gave in just to make him shut up and at the end she doesn't feel that he deserves an A.

Grades are subjective, yes even in science/math classes and many profs even put in a "class participation" portion to give themselves some breathing room. Was there any subjective portion to the grade that you are assuming you got full credit on?

Either way though you should definitely let it go and stop being a grade grubbing d-bag....despite what all these people on SDN tell you, the difference in grade really won't matter in the long run and what might matter is having a good relationship with others around you.

this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

as for OP, sounds like this guy is the type of total d-bag who probably argued with the TA for a point or two on every quiz or test and she probably gave in just to make him shut up and at the end she doesn't feel that he deserves an A.

Grades are subjective, yes even in science/math classes and many profs even put in a "class participation" portion to give themselves some breathing room. Was there any subjective portion to the grade that you are assuming you got full credit on?

Either way though you should definitely let it go and stop being a grade grubbing d-bag....despite what all these people on SDN tell you, the difference in grade really won't matter in the long run and what might matter is having a good relationship with others around you.

That's a totally unfair assumption. :cool:

Lol i'm not gonna condescend to your level to start name calling. Do you remember the A- you got in 9th grade instead of an A+ in your history quiz? Normal pple wldn't care now, but you prob still do since its all about whats right for you. Lol what a sad life.
I stand by my statement: An A is an A is an A is an A.... Move on with your life.

I'll play your game.

"Lul OP u r such a loser for b'ing sad about an A-. lul! get a life bc no one cares about a diffrence btwen A and A-. Lul."

Die kid.

If your school gives a 4.0 to an A-, then you will have a 3.7 on the AMCAS. If your school gives you a 4.0 for an A- and reports it as an A, then you will have a 4.0 on the AMCAS. AAMC weights your transcript letter grades to their standard.

Is this serious? I thought an A. . . any A. . . was worth 4.0

This really concerns me because I only have 1 B (and a 3.96 GPA), but the majority of my A's are between 90-95%, which you say AAMC may consider a 3.7. . . Needless to say, I'm a little worried now

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but I've just never heard of this before. Now would be a good time for me to get this straight, considering I'll be applying this time next year

This really concerns me because I only have 1 B (and a 3.96 GPA), but the majority of my A's are between 90-95%, which you say AAMC may consider a 3.7. . . Needless to say, I'm a little worried now

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, but I've just never heard of this before. Now would be a good time for me to get this straight, considering I'll be applying this time next year

As long as your school simply reports the letter grade (ex: A vs A-) the AAMC will count all your A's as 4.0.

What teehee just said. If your 93% goes on as an A- and they treat the A- as a 4.0, you'll be in for some sticker shock. But if they don't, and the 93% goes on as an A, then you'll be driving away happily. vroom vroom.

thanks for the replies everyone...the TA was being totally unreasonable so i got the professor involved. she emailed me saying she talked to the ta and she told her what a bright student i am and yadaydadyada but according to their calculations i got a 93 and not a 95%...i guess if you round down the final and my test grades...it would count be lower..but i always assumed anyhitng over .5 is rounded up...i guess i was wrong. she said to come see her next quarter and she will help me do better lol. im glad i got the professor involved cuz now this ta knows not to **** with me

and btw to whoever called me a dbag and that im the type of person who argues over a point...never once did i argue for a point in this class

i

thanks for the replies everyone...the TA was being totally unreasonable so i got the professor involved. she emailed me saying she talked to the ta and she told her what a bright student i am and yadaydadyada but according to their calculations i got a 93 and not a 95%...i guess if you round down the final and my test grades...it would count be lower..but i always assumed anyhitng over .5 is rounded up...i guess i was wrong. she said to come see her next quarter and she will help me do better lol. im glad i got the professor involved cuz now this ta knows not to **** with me

and btw to whoever called me a dbag and that im the type of person who argues over a point...never once did i argue for a point in this class

i

The TA should have just explained this to you instead of saying your work was not consistent with an A. There was no reason for her to create a huge issue when she could have easily solved the problem without the prof. getting involved. :rolleyes:

TA-ing classes can be tough. If any of you have had a TA job you know what I mean(I guess I'm talking to older students who have taken a year off like me).

Aside from that, make sure they don't make a mistake. OP you did the right thing, I always try to communicate as best as I can, I feel like your TA did not.

How old are you, 19, 20? Have you ever held a job in the real world, this so-called Earth you speak about? You want to talk about fair? You want to talk about having earned something and not seeing any of it? Have you ever taught a class? Have you ever been employed by an educational institution and been responsible for a bunch of cheating, grade-obsessed loonies? I have done all of these things.

The truth is that you live in a fantasy world. A world where you expect a pat on the back for every little thing you do. A perfect world where your reward correlates directly to the effort you put in. A world where your performance is always graded absolutely relative to your peers' performance. A world in which, when a little bit of reality seeps in, as it has done in this case, you go batsh|t when something beyond your control happens to frighten you and literally turn your world upside down.

My analogy still stands once again. If you worked 40 hours this week at $20.00/hour, the set rate which you agreed to work for prior to being hired...and at the end of the week your boss said ya know what, even though you worked 40 hours and did the work, I didn't really like your attitude too much, so I only think you deserve $18.50/hour for this week, heres your check. Not a single person with any self respect would go for something like that. It is much less about the grade, and much more about a lowly scut level employee trying to spite you for any number of subjective reasons and you needing to stand up for yourself on principle.

That's the worst analogy I ever read. In your analogy the worker is compensated for his time, not the quality of his work. The only driving factor for the worker to produce high quality is that he might be fired eventually if he does not. He still gets paid the guaranteed rate in the meantime though if he slacks.

In this case, the student is compensated for the quality of the work. The grades received are given at the discretion of the instructor. If the instructor does not feel that the quality was sufficient for a certain grade (as in this case), it is the instructor's prerogative to give it, not the student's to demand it.

Read what you wrote again and think about it.

i

i'm totally not surprised that this was the outcome. have fun taking a class next semester with a TA who you have pissed off and disrespected!

How old are you, 19, 20? Have you ever held a job in the real world, this so-called Earth you speak about? You want to talk about fair? You want to talk about having earned something and not seeing any of it? Have you ever taught a class? Have you ever been employed by an educational institution and been responsible for a bunch of cheating, grade-obsessed loonies? I have done all of these things.

The truth is that you live in a fantasy world. A world where you expect a pat on the back for every little thing you do. A perfect world where your reward correlates directly to the effort you put in. A world where your performance is always graded absolutely relative to your peers' performance. A world in which, when a little bit of reality seeps in, as it has done in this case, you go batsh|t when something beyond your control happens to frighten you and literally turn your world upside down.

Seeing as I'm a non-traditional, I've had much more experience in this "REAL WORLD" that you speak about than most med students on this board. Throughout college I have held a full time position as a Regional Sales Manager of a medical supply company. I am responsible for leading a small sales team, accomplishing objectives, motivating the team, providing incentives, and meeting deadlines and quotas.

Dream world? Wrong buddy, my sales associates sign contracts, and in them their compensation package is CLEARLY stated and defined, so that there is no ambiguity and if one of my employees disputes their compensation I can referr back to that. It is a PERFECT analogy to the situation. If I tell an employee he will earn 2% of total sales once he goes over $50,000 for the month, and when I goto issue his commission check I say, "Well, you did in fact bring in $65,700 this month, however, I didn't really think your work was consistent with the 2% compensation I promised you, so I'm keeping you at the standard 1.5%..." that **** would not fly and he would have every right to take that up with me in arbitration. The TA essentially told the student, that although your calculated commission (in this case GPA) did equal an amount in which you EARNED the 2% commission, I really didnt like your attitude, or some other subjective factor, so I've decided to renig on the original agreement(in this case the syllabus) and am witholding the .5% commission that you rightfully earned and that I rightfully owe you.

Come talk to me about the real world kid. I am 22 years old, I'm a senior in college, and I earn nearly 6 figures. You need to read what you wrote again and think about it. In the REAL WORLD, you follow the written words of a CONTRACT. Unless there is a specific clause in a workers contract that leaves it up to my "discretion" to determine whether or not I "liked" his work, if he fulfills the sales objectives set forth in his compensation package, I am obligated to pay him. If an employee works 20 hours for you at a given rate, and you dislike the quality of his work, you write him up or you terminate his employment, however you still pay him the agreed upon hourly rate for the time that he worked for you. Otherwise, in this real world, YOU GET SUED.

To answer your earlier question, no I have never been employed by an educational institution, I make far too much money to need to work for peanuts as a TA. If you consider that a 'real job' compared to mine, you are the one who needs to get out of fantasy land. This is the kind of response you get when you make overly presumptious statements about who I am, how old I am, and what I do....

Glad you got it solved. But, just remember... don't ever round and assume that people did the same :p Most professors don't round until the very end of the semester when everything is added up. And, typically they only round if they liked you and you were extremely borderline.