UTRGV vs FAU - 19k (COA: 48k) vs 63k (COA: 95K)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasTitan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UTRGV
Pros
  • Texas Resident - Texas Tuition - 19k a year, last class received a 50% scholarship
  • Small class - 50 students.
  • PBL and systems based
  • Brand new facilities
  • UT system
  • True family feel
  • Cheap cost of living

Cons
  • Location?
  • New school (Currently only in second class, No match list)
  • No true anatomy - plastinate use

FAU
Pros
  • Florida - location Boca Raton
  • Small class size
  • PBL systems based
  • FACULTY - Most of the faculty seemed very well connected to the North East and did their training at prestigious schools/hospitals.
  • Research
  • Rotation sites

Cons
  • COST!!!!
  • Still a newer school (but matched a derm at Harvard last year)
  • Cost of living

Honestly, both schools have a very similar feel, small class, systems based w/PBL.
I just can't decide if the cost is worth the faculty / a slightly more established school

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
this is though, both schools are relatively new, not ranked. One hasnt even graduated a class yet. What is your end goal?

Just a side note, the no true anatomy is not bad and many schools are moving away from dissection.

this is though, both schools are relatively new, not ranked. One hasnt even graduated a class yet. What is your end goal?

Just a side note, the no true anatomy is not bad and many schools are moving away from dissection.

Interests in Ortho or sports med. Do not truly know yet though

Interests in Ortho or sports med. Do not truly know yet though
i would look up affiliated residency programs for both schools see if they have residencies in the things that interest you. I would personally go to the school that is 200K cheaper since its a lot of money and the other school isnt ranked higher or well established either.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i would look up affiliated residency programs for both schools see if they have residencies in the things that interest you. I would personally go to the school that is 200K cheaper since its a lot of money and the other school isnt ranked higher or well established either.

Thank you for your help. So you think the cost isn't worth it even though the school has matched a few classes? Compared to a school that has not?

Thank you for your help. So you think the cost isn't worth it even though the school has matched a few classes? Compared to a school that has not?
most PD's dont know the school since its soo new, so it doesnt give you and advantage. I would look at home programs residency programs and access to research at both schools, but since they are soo new they are probably still in the process of setting things up. With both of these schools you will have to do leg work to figure out what it takes to match into competittive specialties and then go ahead and set that up. There are going to be headaches with a new school, and FAU probably has some of the kinks ironed out. I am not sure if that is worth 200K though.

@wysdoc Thank you for that. I have now read through the whole thread. ( I see you are from the valley - do you have any input in regards to UTRGV?)

Additionally, with FAU's last match is there any more input?

Definitely leaning UTRGV though.