95% in FA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hartbot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When people say that FA has 95% of the material that they see on the actual Step 1, is that to mean that without annotating a single word into the book it covers this much material?

Because if this is so, I would stop annotating right away and just read.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like when I annotate, I explain what FA says more than add information to it. It's probably true that most stuff is in FA but may not be linked together into an idea. For example, they'll explain a cellular process in a different chapter than where they'll explain the disease that uses that cellular process to cause an effect. By annotating, when you re-read you'll understand the mechanisms instead of just memorizing it.

I agree with Vic.. when they say 95% of the items on the exam are in FA, that means as far as the subjects, or disorder.. So when FA mentions Methhemeogloblin, there will prob be a question on that disorder, but what FA has may not be enough.. ie, it took listening to goljan to know that Dapsone can cause methhemoglobinuria..

So definetly annotate.. Another thing, when you do questions, and there is an example of a disorder, write it down so you can remember it

i dont know if FA covers 95% of every version of the test, some say it covers 65% others say 95%.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like NBME should normalize according to FA haha. I mean if I get a test that's 100% word for word out of FA while another person gets only 50% of the questions from FA presented to him...isn't the latter at a slightly greater disadvantage? I always wonder how this test was scaled if we all get different tests and different questions....

Watch me be the poor latter SOB next friday =(

When people say that FA has 95% of the material that they see on the actual Step 1, is that to mean that without annotating a single word into the book it covers this much material?

Because if this is so, I would stop annotating right away and just read.

FA is an outline that covers nearly all of the general disease entities that appear on the test.

Your best bet is to get your hands on as many resources as possible and put all of the notes that *YOU* need in a single location. If you put your notes in FA, then more power to you.