99.41% of all DO Students Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education 2015 Match Data Continue at High Level

(Washington, DC)—Over the past decade, total enrollment at the nation’s colleges of osteopathic medicine (COMs) has continued to grow, and the corresponding number of osteopathic medical student graduates who “match” (apply and are accepted) to graduate medical education (GME) residency positions continues to remain very high. Through the 2015 GME match process, AACOM collected data from the COMs as part of the annual “Report on Osteopathic Medicine Placements,” and found that during 2015 the placement of DO graduates into GME residency programs nationwide was 99.41 percent overall.

As of May 1, 5,229 of this spring's expected graduates have matched into GME. There are 5,260 graduates who are seeking GME.

All but 31 have matched. Reflecting this trend, a total of 99.41 percent of DO graduates seeking GME in the 2015 overall matching process attained a residency position. Of the 5,260 DO graduates who participated in the 2015 GME match process, 48.37 percent placed into osteopathic GME positions through the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) Intern/Resident Registration Program, and 45.95 percent matched into GME programs through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Additionally, 4.6 percent of the 2015 DO graduates with military service commitments seeking GME were placed in the military match, and the final 7.85 percent matched to other GME positions. (Please visit the AACOM website for an infographic depicting these percentages.)
----------------------------

So basically all but 31 didn't match...does this mean these 31 have to apply the following year in the 2016 match or what else are their options? Also are these 31 students that finished off cycle, had board failures or students that didn't want to scramble and possibly reapply the following year? Or they couldn't scramble successfully ?

Usually some programs go unfilled even after the scramble in rural and less desirable locations? So as long as you pass all the boards and finish the graduation requirements at the school, wouldn't these programs want these students to fill their spots?

What happens if you finish a US med school, fulfill graduation requirements and graduate yet can't match or scramble into residency? I know this happens a lot to foreign medical graduates from abroad or Caribbean but what about U.S. Graduates and what options do they have left with a DO degree and no training?

Members don't see this ad.

For now. Check back 2020.

As for your question, it's most likely people that were going for competitive residencies like Ortho/Uro without a backup plan.

Reactions: 2 users

As for your question, it's most likely people that were going for competitive residencies like Ortho/Uro without a backup plan.
Are you making the assumption that this number will decrease? If so, that's laughable to say the least.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Placement rate =/= match rate

Placement rate includes those who couldn't match anywhere and ended up scrambling for unfilled spots, including transitional year positions.

Reactions: 9 users

I Domt think those were the ortho and uro rejects. They prob scrambled someplace. It's more likely the board failures, people with felonies I would think?

I Domt think those were the ortho and uro rejects. They prob scrambled someplace. It's more likely the board failures, people with felonies I would think?
There's always people who are unmatchable. Those with multiple major red flags, such as behavioral issues, repeating a year, failing multiple rotations, failing the boards multiple times, etc. Even the MD side of things has people like this, that's just reality and has little to do with what degree they hold.

Reactions: 6 users
I was under the impression that AOA v.s ACGME match was more like 30-70 or 40-60. 50-50 now tho?

I was under the impression that AOA v.s ACGME match was more like 30-70 or 40-60. 50-50 now tho?
It's a combination of a massive amount of graduates coming out of DO schools compared with the past and a huge expansion of osteopathic GME in the last few years. The number of new DO students versus the number of DOs participating in the NRMP haven't ticked up at the same rate.

Are you making the assumption that this number will decrease? If so, that's laughable to say the least.
No; it's not. There is no reason to think that it wouldn't given that some of the spots previously reserved only for DOs will not be open to a flood of foreign graduates, US allopathic graduates, and US allopathic seniors.

That being said, there is also no reason to believe that even below-average DO students will be unable to match in 2020 in the absence of major red flags if they apply broadly and realistically. Large numbers of unmatched DOs would be cause for DOs to take a second look at the merger, which none of the involved parties want to happen.

Last edited:
No; it's not. There is no reason to think that it wouldn't given that some of the spots previously reserved only for DOs will not be open to a flood of foreign graduates, US allopathic graduates, and US allopathic seniors.
Which spots are you exactly talking about? For the sake of conversation, let's assume highly-competitive spots that were previously available only to DO's become harder for osteopathic graduates to match (i.e. Ortho/Derm/etc.) I highly doubt that an applicant of that caliber (comparing their scores to today's applicants seeking such specialties) will be unable to match anywhere, regardless of specialty.

I am not arguing whether the availability of such specialties will be the same in 2020 (and in all honesty there are far too many variables to even make such assumptions), but what I am saying is that I don't believe people take into account how ill-advised their statements are. It's not that I am disagreeing (or agreeing) with him/her, I am simply laughing at how dogmatic that statement was.

Its been around 50-50 (+/- 5% on either side) for at least the last few years. Nowadays with COM and OGME expansion, a greater percentage of AOA spots are filling (both in the match and scramble) and so you have a slightly "higher" percentage of graduates going to AOA programs. Its school-specific though how many go to AOA vs. NRMP, with some being 30-70 and others being 65-35 depending on a combination of region (areas with barely any AOA programs vs. areas with tons), percentage of DOs in the area (overlaps with the previous reason a bit, but not necessarily), and the newness/competitiveness of the COM (more tend to go for AOA to be safe).

Which spots are you exactly talking about? For the sake of conversation, let's assume highly-competitive spots that were previously available only to DO's become harder for osteopathic graduates to match (i.e. Ortho/Derm/etc.) I highly doubt that an applicant of that caliber (comparing their scores to today's applicants seeking such specialties) will be unable to match anywhere, regardless of specialty.
It's not the highly competitive spots that are the issue, it's actually the least competitive spots. Up until now, bottom of the barrel DO applicants have always had basically a guaranteed residency spot because those positions literally couldn't be filled by anyone else. PDs would rather have someone than no one. This is about to change. Now all these "undesirable" residency positions will be open to the flood of IMGs (US or foreign). Those bottom tier DO applicants will now be competing with IMGs, who may or may not be more attractive applicants.

I don't think this is going to cause that 99.41% stat to change that dramatically, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was knocked down to the ~95% range.

I read the MD match rate is around 95 percent, so if DOs are getting into residencies at a 99.41 percent rate I think DO schools are doing something right. 1 in 200 people not matching is a lot better than 1 in 20. Even the bottom tier DO graduates can usually get into an AOA primary care residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
My students who fail to match usually are aiming too high and have very short lists. So, bad choice makers. Our Board failing students still end up matching. They may end up with the #3 or worse choice, but they still match.

Reactions: 3 users
It's not the highly competitive spots that are the issue, it's actually the least competitive spots. Up until now, bottom of the barrel DO applicants have always had basically a guaranteed residency spot because those positions literally couldn't be filled by anyone else. PDs would rather have someone than no one. This is about to change. Now all these "undesirable" residency positions will be open to the flood of IMGs (US or foreign). Those bottom tier DO applicants will now be competing with IMGs, who may or may not be more attractive applicants.

I don't think this is going to cause that 99.41% stat to change that dramatically, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was knocked down to the ~95% range.
There are currently low-tier ACGME residencies that go unfilled every year too. Why is it assumed that you have all these below-average IMG and allo seniors now gunning towards low-tier AOA residencies?

Also, it's helpful to keep in mind that in the past, competitive DO applicants would traditionally apply to only AOA residencies because they felt that is where their best shot was.

"Over the past few years, just under 50 percent of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) graduates seek AOA-accredited graduate medical education (GME)1; the remainder have chosen to pursue ACGME-accredited residencies."

Now with the the unification of the match program, these above-average DO applicants will be essentially forced into the NRMP match and it wouldn't be too far off to say that these applicants will beat out other, less-competitive IMG/allo senior applicants for some ACGME spots.

There are currently low-tier ACGME residencies that go unfilled every year too. Why is it assumed that you have all these below-average IMG and allo seniors now gunning towards low-tier AOA residencies?

Also, it's helpful to keep in mind that in the past, competitive DO applicants would traditionally apply to only AOA residencies because they felt that is where their best shot was.

"Over the past few years, just under 50 percent of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) graduates seek AOA-accredited graduate medical education (GME)1; the remainder have chosen to pursue ACGME-accredited residencies."

Now with the the unification of the match program, these above-average DO applicants will be essentially forced into the NRMP match and it wouldn't be too far off to say that these applicants will beat out other, less-competitive IMG/allo senior applicants for some ACGME spots.
There are ACGME residencies that might not fill through the NRMP, but every program that wants to will be filled after the SOAP. The IMGs and allo seniors will interested in the AOA residencies because they will be interested in any residency that leads to being a licensed physician. There are thousands of such applicants that go unmatched every year that would jump at the chance of of doing an AOA residency.

Unless you believe that every single DO graduate is a better applicant than every single unmatched IMG, then opening the AOA residencies will absolutely result in a decrease in the DO placement rate.

Reactions: 1 users

That being said, there is also no reason to believe that even below-average DO students will be unable to match in 2020 in the absence of major red flags if they apply broadly and realistically. Large numbers of unmatched DOs would be cause for DOs to take a second look at the merger, which none of the involved parties want to happen.

I believe the worst case scenario for a DO is them getting a primary care residency. There are still many positions primary care that remain unfilled every year. Many medical students often have images of themselves that are not in line with reality, so they wind up aiming for fields above their board scores and class rank.

I read the MD match rate is around 95 percent, so if DOs are getting into residencies at a 99.41 percent rate I think DO schools are doing something right. 1 in 200 people not matching is a lot better than 1 in 20. Even the bottom tier DO graduates can usually get into an AOA primary care residency.
First off, 95% is the USMD match rate (i.e. through the NRMP), the placement rate is higher than that. 99.41% is the placement rate for DO, not the match rate. Placement rate takes into account the scrambling after the matches.

The reason all bottom tier DO applicants can get a primary care residency is because of all the DO-only AOA residency positions. These programs would rather have someone than no one. This is the whole point. In a couple years, these DO-only positions will be gone and open to everyone. Now these programs will be able to choose IMGs/USMDs over bottom tier DOs. I'm sure most DO grads will still match, but there will definitely be some that lose their spot to better qualified IMGs.

There are ACGME residencies that might not fill through the NRMP, but every program that wants to will be filled after the SOAP. The IMGs and allo seniors will interested in the AOA residencies because they will be interested in any residency that leads to being a licensed physician. There are thousands of such applicants that go unmatched every year that would jump at the chance of of doing an AOA residency.

Unless you believe that every single DO graduate is a better applicant than every single unmatched IMG, then opening the AOA residencies will absolutely result in a decrease in the DO placement rate.
By your logic then, it is safe to assume that allo seniors will also (but not to the extent that IMGs/DOs will) absolutely result in a decrease in the MD placement rate because, as I quoted earlier, those <50% of DO graduates that traditionally applied only to AOA-accredited residencies will now be applying to ACGME-accredited residencies (Unless you believe that every single MD graduate is a better applicant than every single DO graduate).

This merger will benefit both above-average DO and MD graduates; however, it will also hurt both below-average DO and MD graduates. As far as comparing the exact percentages of which they benefit or hurt MD/DO graduates respectively is purely speculation at this point.

It will hurt DOs more in the long run. There's a gradation between DO and MD such as a 260 DO = 250 MD, 250 DO = 240 MD, 240 DO = 230 MD, etc. but the lower you go the more "equal" they become such as a 220 DO probably = 215 MD and 210 or less is probably equal regardless of degree. It won't be a 50/50 split in terms of hurting both MD and DOs that are "below average" and likely will result in something like hurting 70-80% of DOs and 20-30% of MDs. That also takes into account anywhere from 5-95% of current ACGME programs that just flat out will not take a DO at all depending on the specialty (5% being FM, 95% being NSG, ENT, etc.).

The problem is that our AOA subspecialties won't have an issue with taking future MDs and they've shown that by not applying for osteopatchic recognition. However, the high level/high ranked ACGME programs aren't just going to suddenly wake up and start taking DOs.

The DOs that will benefit are ones that are competitive and would have had to choose between AOA and ACGME matches and will now (after 2018) be able to apply to a single match.

The biggest "losers" are IMG/FMG and we can have a debate on if that's good or not (I believe that it is).

@Ibn Alnafis MD pointed out that there is a difference b/t match rate and placement rate... I think MD placement rate might be in the 99% as well. There will alway be fools with 194 step1 who think they can match into derm/ortho/ENT etc...

By your logic then, it is safe to assume that allo seniors will also (but not to the extent that IMGs/DOs will) absolutely result in a decrease in the MD placement rate because, as I quoted earlier, those <50% of DO graduates that traditionally applied only to AOA-accredited residencies will now be applying to ACGME-accredited residencies (Unless you believe that every single MD graduate is a better applicant than every single DO graduate).

This merger will benefit both above-average DO and MD graduates; however, it will also hurt both below-average DO and MD graduates. As far as comparing the exact percentages of which they benefit or hurt MD/DO graduates respectively is purely speculation at this point.
You're changing the argument. I'm not talking about tier of program, just overall placement rates. While you're right that some average USMDs might be displaced by excellent DOs in the higher tier programs, those USMDs will still absolutely match somewhere. The same can not be said about underachieving DOs, who historically have had guaranteed residency placement due to there being an abundance of DO-only positions. Now those positions will be open to IMGs/USMDs
The biggest "losers" are IMG/FMG and we can have a debate on if that's good or not (I believe that it is).
As I've said before, this little nugget is often repeated on SDN but I've never actually seen anyone explain why this would be the case. All this merger does is increase the number of programs that IMGs can apply to. Yes, maybe some more DOs will take ACGME positions, but then that opens up another AOA position. The only way this would hurt IMGs is if the merger resulted in a decreased number of total residency positions, which is highly unlikely. Certain programs might shut down, but those residency positions will almost surely be absorbed by another program. Residents are too integral in the functioning of hospitals for those positions to just disappear completely. Will the overall increase in AMGs hurt IMGs, sure (not in the near future though), but this merger really has nothing to do with that.

You're changing the argument. I'm not talking about tier of program, just overall placement rates. While you're right that some average USMDs might be displaced by excellent DOs in the higher tier programs, those USMDs will still absolutely match somewhere. The same can not be said about underachieving DOs, who historically have had guaranteed residency placement due to there being an abundance of DO-only positions. Now those positions will be open to IMGs/USMDs

As I've said before, this little nugget is often repeated on SDN but I've never actually seen anyone explain why this would be the case. All this merger does is increase the number of programs that IMGs can apply to. Yes, maybe some more DOs will take ACGME positions, but then that opens up another AOA position. The only way this would hurt IMGs is if the merger resulted in a decreased number of total residency positions, which is highly unlikely. Certain programs might shut down, but those residency positions will almost surely be absorbed by another program. Residents are too integral in the functioning of hospitals for those positions to just disappear completely. Will the overall increase in AMGs hurt IMGs, sure (not in the near future though), but this merger really has nothing to do with that.

Most AOA positions will continue to be run by DOs and most of them will continue to select specifically for DO applicants. I don't understand how you suddenly think we'd see major encroachment by IMGs when there will be extreme bias against them. I think DOs will still have their backdoor end of the alley match spots and the FMGs will continue to be pushed out.

My students who fail to match usually are aiming too high and have very short lists. So, bad choice makers. Our Board failing students still end up matching. They may end up with the #3 or worse choice, but they still match.
What would you recommend to someone applying to competitive specialties to do as a backup plan? Add some preliminary year programs or should they dual apply to two separate specialties?

Very misleading post. The DOs do NOT have 1/200 people not match. It is way higher than that. For example, about 77% of DO's match in the NRMP match, so that leaves 23% who FAILED to match. Now, those people scrambled into a place and found a spot, but likely NOT in their intended specialty. 99.41 is the placement rate, which is obviously a good thing. MD 's likely have similar placement rates. Please don't spread DO school administration psychobabble. This is coming from a DO student

Most AOA positions will continue to be run by DOs and most of them will continue to select specifically for DO applicants. I don't understand how you suddenly think we'd see major encroachment by IMGs when there will be extreme bias against them. I think DOs will still have their backdoor end of the alley match spots and the FMGs will continue to be pushed out.
You're making some pretty big assumptions here. I'm not sure why you think DO PDs will specifically select DO applicants, or why IMGs will have "extreme bias" against them. This whole idea of "the scorned DO program director who was never given a chance by MDs so they will never give an MD a chance," while very popular on SDN, probably isn't that prevalent in the real world. I would like to think most PDs are more mature, and less petty, than that.

You're making some pretty big assumptions here. I'm not sure why you think DO PDs will specifically select DO applicants, or why IMGs will have "extreme bias" against them. This whole idea of "the scorned DO program director who was never given a chance by MDs so they will never give an MD a chance," while very popular on SDN, probably isn't that prevalent in the real world. I would like to think most PDs are more mature, and less petty, than that.

Consider it a likelihood I'm willing to bet on tbh...

Consider it a likelihood I'm willing to bet on tbh...
Maybe you should wait a little longer than your 3rd month of medical school before making gross generalizations about the senior members of your future profession...

The argument for and against the merger for DOs goes both ways. There are too many factors in play to make any conclusive prediction. If anything, though, 28% as a governing board of ACGME has to mean something. It will be interest to see how the field equalizes in decades to come.

Its not a match rate, its a placement rate. Match rate overall is around 85-90% based on the best estimation I could make. Placement rate is 99.41%, which is right around the MD placement rate as well.

Very misleading post. The DOs do NOT have 1/200 people not match. It is way higher than that. For example, about 77% of DO's match in the NRMP match, so that leaves 23% who FAILED to match. Now, those people scrambled into a place and found a spot, but likely NOT in their intended specialty. 99.41 is the placement rate, which is obviously a good thing. MD 's likely have similar placement rates. Please don't spread DO school administration psychobabble. This is coming from a DO student

Your calculation is misleading as well. Its not that 23% of DO students that graduate fail to match, its that 23% of those that apply for the NRMP match, fail to match. I went through the math in the past and my best estimate is that the actual DO match rate is somewhere in the 85-90% range. Unfortunately, there is insufficient data to verify those numbers, but I strongly believe it is within that range.

One of the problems with any of this is due to the fact of there being 2 matches, students hedge bets differently. Competitive graudates may only rank 1-2 programs in the AOA match, knowing they have the NRMP as a backup, graduates who fail to match in the AOA match due to academic problems may also likely fail to match in the NRMP match (end up being "counted" twice), some explicitly forgo the AOA match, plan to go only ACGME and then use AOA scramble as a backup, previous DO graduates, which are not separated from the match statistics in either matches and who would likely have worse match rates (just as the previous MD graduates have significantly worse match rates than MD seniors), are mixed in with the DO seniors diluting the match rate, etc. With a combined match and a separation of DO seniors and previous graduates we'll be able to have a better idea about the true match statistics. Unfortunately, by the time that happens there will be so many other variables that might affect the match rate (e.g. closing of some AOA programs, at the rate things are going the DO graduates might double by the time the combined match happens, etc.). In any case, I doubt the effect will be significant, so it should still be close to that range that I estimated.

The argument for and against the merger for DOs goes both ways. There are too many factors in play to make any conclusive prediction. If anything, though, 28% as a governing board of ACGME has to mean something. It will be interest to see how the field equalizes in decades to come.

This is a good point to make. A lot of what we are claiming is speculation at this point. A lot depends of factors that we know very little about, and on the opinion of a heterogenous population (PDs) that we probably know even less about.

Lets wait and see before passing judgement. If we see bumps along the way (e.g. like the issue with AOA PDs losing their jobs), we can promote clarification and policy changes to prevent them. Personally, I believe that single accreditation will in the long-run be beneficial to the DO profession. That said, its certainly possible that it might not benefit every DO student, especially in this transition period, but only time will tell.

Last edited:
Anyway I slice and dice it, the merger will not be good for the low ranked DO students... Having your own match is kind of a safeguard so to speak; you guys/gals won't have that anymore.

Anyway I slice and dice it, the merger will not be good for the low ranked DO students... Having your own match is kind of a safeguard so to speak; you guys/gals won't have that anymore.

From what I have seen from the low-ranking DO student, thats probably a good thing for patient care. There should necessarily be more competition at the bottom; right now it allows unqualified people to advance their training.

From what I have seen from the low-ranking DO student, thats probably a good thing for patient care. There should necessarily be more competition at the bottom; right now it allows unqualified people to advance their training.
That's kind of strong statement to make... If people pass their classes and to well on rotation, I would not call them 'unqualified'... They might not be exceptional students, but I am going to say they are unqualified... Besides, most of these people will be doing primary care and psych anyway...

That's kind of strong statement to make... If people pass their classes and to well on rotation, I would not call them 'unqualified'... They might not be exceptional students, but I am going to say they are unqualified... Besides, most of these people will be doing primary care and psych anyway...
If people pass their classes and do well on their rotations, they arent at the bottom edge of the class.

If people pass their classes and do well on their rotations, they arent at the bottom edge of the class.
I saw stats that say there is almost a 90% 4-year graduation rate at most US schools... I am guessing these people pass their classes to be able to graduate.

What would you recommend to someone applying to competitive specialties to do as a backup plan? Add some preliminary year programs or should they dual apply to two separate specialties?

It's really a personal preference and you have to weigh the pros and cons yourself.

I personally only applied to 1 specialty last year knowing I had a chance of not matching. At that time I didn't want to "settle" so I went all out for my first choice. I didn't match and I don't regret my decision.

This year I did apply to an additional back up speciality. However, I think I might match into my specialty of choice because where I'm doing my intern year has that speciality and I've worked directly with the team and have gotten several recommendations.

So I'm glad I'm still giving it a shot and if I don't match in my specialty of choice this year and do my backup I think I'll still be happy and I won't have any regrets of not trying.

But I know others who immediately applied to a back up and matched in the back up and they are still happy.

I doubt it. Placement also includes internships, of which there are a ****load of AOA traditional osteopathic rotating internships available that go unfilled every year. 600-700 go unfilled each year, as they really mostly just hurt your chances versus doing a fifth year and applying to the match again. But if things get bad (which I kind of doubt, honestly) those students can go for the TRIs, which I doubt any US MD or IMG will either want nor will want to jump through the osteopathic recognition hoops to participate in.

I think that DO placement rates might drop to around 95% post-merger, but will remain well into the 90s, on par with US MDs.

Honestly I think that the COMLEX should be mostly done away with and replaced with a small, OMM-only exam that supplements the USMLE, so that DOs are held to the same testing standards and residency standards as US MDs.

Reactions: 5 users

I don't know about this. You could have that lower end medical graduate who would have matched into a better program without the competition, thus becoming a better doctor.

Honestly I think that the COMLEX should be mostly done away with and replaced with a small, OMM-only exam that supplements the USMLE, so that DOs are held to the same testing standards and residency standards as US MDs.

I wish, but I doubt it would ever happen.

We all wish this. But there is way too much money being made off the comlex for it to disappear.