99% sure, but........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PRIMER

God's Soldier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I have been accepted to Wayne State (my top choice) and I am 99.9 % sure that I am going here. I just received an interview invite from MSUCHM. I was wondering if you guys would go. Or should I just give someone else the inverview spot or go an see what they have to offer, or better yet see what they will offer (if I get accepted) in financial aid. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you. And good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

i didnt apply to either, so your choice has no bearing on me, but i would let someone else go if you are in at your top choice, iff you are totally convinced it is your top choice... what is the .01 % unsure about?

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I have been accepted to Wayne State (my top choice) and I am 99.9 % sure that I am going here. I just received an interview invite from MSUCHM. I was wondering if you guys would go. Or should I just give someone else the inverview spot or go an see what they have to offer, or better yet see what they will offer (if I get accepted) in financial aid. Any comments are appreciated. Thank you. And good luck to everyone.

Do you live in Michigan? What do you have to lose? I personally would go Wayne over MSU, but you'll never get anything close to an accurate picture of the school without interviewing there. My rule for turning down an interview (or acceptance) is that if I'm sure I wouldn't enroll, even if given a full-ride with stipend, then it's safe to skip or reject the acceptance. Otherwise I'd go. Free lunch :D .

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have a free day and the money to travel?

State is being really weird with their acceptances this year... a friend of mine interviewed back in december and they still have not given him a decision post interview. Yet others interviewed after him were promptly put on the waitlist. No harm in going I suppose.

I am accepted to both and was fifty fifty for what seemed like an eternity (really only a week). In the end, I am chosing MSU-CHM because I am going to primary care anyway, and MSU is better for family reasons.

You just have to decide where you think you'd be better off. No doubt, you'll get a sweet education at Wayne and have some killer clerkships. If you even have an inkling that you might want to go to MSU, you might as well at least take the interview. Their final decisions are coming around April 11 I think so you wouldn't have to wait any more than a month. See the below thread for more details. For most people, Wayne is probably the right choice, but it depends on what you are looking for. You may as well take the interview and check it out.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=364525&highlight=MSU-CHM

You should def. go. Schools can surprise you.. I've loved a school without expecting to and hated a school without expecting to. You wont' know till you go, and hell, you earned it.:thumbup:

I was in a similar situation about a month ago. in at wayne and a few other places and got the invite from MSU. I turned it down. There was very little chance I was going to go to msu over the other schools. Plus MSU's financial aid doesnt seem to be that great. and its not like they're likely to give you a full-ride if your interviewing in march anyway.

Mostly, I just wanted someone else to go that actually might like it and might only have the one interview.

and its not like they're likely to give you a full-ride if your interviewing in march anyway.
Well, as we know Medical Schools can be a little crazy, so I wouldn't totally write that one off. Some people have been interviewed late, wait-listed, and then offered a full-ride schloarship...which is kind of disturbing....

I would go to MSU just to try and if I get selected, I would choose MSU over Wayne becuase it's better than Wayne. I would want to choose the best.

I have heard lot of previous year students saying that they chose MSU over Wayne.

I would go to MSU just to try and if I get selected, I would choose MSU over Wayne becuase it's better than Wayne. I would want to choose the best.

I have heard lot of previous year students saying that they chose MSU over Wayne.

You sound like a MSU spokesman. :rolleyes:

In all honesty there is no better or worse schools. Some are better fits for some people, better financial deals, are near family, better for primary care or research, or have great clinical experience.

Personally, I think Wayne gives top notch clinical experience but if you are set on primary care MSU is the way to go especially if you want to practice in a rural area.